Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking USC baby out of the US

Taking USC baby out of the US

Old Sep 23rd 2013, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

halfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nice
Default Taking USC baby out of the US

So JiggeryPokery's recent thread about removing a USC child from the US got me thinking...

I am planning my first trip 'home' to the UK in a couple of months, and will be taking our infant daughter with me. I am a UKC with green card. She is dual citizen with a US passport - no UK passport yet although she is eligible. It is only for four weeks and we have a return flight booked.

My husband will be deployed and will not be coming with us. He is happy for us to take the trip - just very sad to be missing an extended stay with the in-laws

Will there be any issues about me taking her out of the US? As he will be deployed and out of easy contact, is it worth getting a notarised letter beforehand to confirm that he is ok with this?

(Also... when we get to the UK, should I get in the non-EU queue with her, or just go through the EU line and plead ignorance?)

Thoughts much appreciated!
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking USC baby out of the US

I went the first time without my husband (he joined us later) to the UK with my dual citizen daughter this past summer, no problems. Although admittedly she's old enough to answer questions if needed. I didn't have a notarized letter.

However, I think you should. Especially as your husband won't be easily reached and you just don't want any hassles. Also, I'd go through the EU line if I were you.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 1:36 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by halfmoon
So JiggeryPokery's recent thread about removing a USC child from the US got me thinking...

I am planning my first trip 'home' to the UK in a couple of months, and will be taking our infant daughter with me. I am a UKC with green card. She is dual citizen with a US passport - no UK passport yet although she is eligible. It is only for four weeks and we have a return flight booked.

My husband will be deployed and will not be coming with us. He is happy for us to take the trip - just very sad to be missing an extended stay with the in-laws

Will there be any issues about me taking her out of the US? As he will be deployed and out of easy contact, is it worth getting a notarised letter beforehand to confirm that he is ok with this?

(Also... when we get to the UK, should I get in the non-EU queue with her, or just go through the EU line and plead ignorance?)

I would. I do when I'm traveling solo with my kids, though I've never been asked for it on the way out.

In the UK, when I still entered on my UK passport, my eldest also had one, but the youngest 2 didn't. At Infant and toddler stage, I used to go thru the UK/euro line with them, and don't recall any problems. This was at Teesside....one of the larger airports may be less cooperative, I don't know. Now they are older, we go thru the foreigner line....at Teesside it is sometimes quicker, although if there is only 1 officer on duty, we are held till the end.....which isn't exactly a long wait given we are normally coming in on a fokker 100!!
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

If it's easy to do so, I would get a notarised letter.

I really doubt that you'd have to use it. I've travelled to the UK many times with my kid - exactly the same visa/passport/citizenship combo as you, PLUS my daughter and I don't share the same last name which complicates things even further.

So the letter certainly can't hurt and will be reassurance in case it is needed, particularly since hubby could be very hard to get hold of. A few minutes of admin on the front end could avoid a lot of hassle and expense on the other end.

The only time I've ever been questioned was when traveling to LHR from SFO via Montreal. The Canadian officials at the airport asked "where's your letter?" - at which point, I wondered what the **** he was talking about. They were the ones who alerted me to the fact that I should have a letter when traveling with kids but without their father. No one else, in six years and probably 100 flights, has ever asked.

And right now, I have three kids with twin 1 year olds so there is no way I'm stepping on a plane without their father anyway.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Before he goes, get a letter saying it's okay for the baby to travel to the UK and any contact info for him.

Bank, town hall, library, places like that could notarise it usually for free.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Before he goes, get a letter saying it's okay for the baby to travel to the UK and any contact info for him.

Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:05 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, do this. My friend came to visit me with her son and was in secondary for ages explaining the whole situation, then they called me in out of the waiting area to double-check her story. Also have a number they can call to confirm it if possible. There have been so many cases of parents kidnapping their kids and going to another country they can be pretty awkward about it.

You could get grilled at both ends so be ready for it.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 10:52 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

In the US is appears to be an "airline by airline" policy, and I think some airlines even give some discretion to the ticket folks to check if "something seems amiss". In Canada, however, it seems to be basically a mandatory policy, and other countries have different rules as well.

The advice I've seen on many airline travel messageboards is get the letter, if at all possible. If it isn't an issue, no real harm done. If it is an issue then your vacation won't be ruined if you have the letter.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob

UPS stores also offer notary services for ~$10

CWT
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
In the US is appears to be an "airline by airline" policy
Well the airline might be awkward too because they could be held liable, but it's CBP that are the actual problem.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 9:38 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

How is CBP going to be a problem in the OP's scenario? Just curious.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Steve_
Well the airline might be awkward too because they could be held liable, but it's CBP that are the actual problem.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:15 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
How is CBP going to be a problem in the OP's scenario? Just curious.

Regards, JEff
The only time I was asked for my letter, it was by CBP on the way back in
were they thinking of preventing me from reuniting my kids with their mother
Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:26 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

I've traveled with my USC daughter quite a few times on my own, and have been asked for a letter twice (both times in Canada on the way to Heathrow). I don't think I ever got it notarized though. Probably won't hurt do do that though.
Naomi.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

Just go right to the UK passport holders line, I have taken 6 relatives with US passports through with me in the past, I ave also taken my Daughter with me on her US passport.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

halfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nicehalfmoon is just really nice

Thank you so much everyone - I really appreciate your feedback. I am always in the 'better safe than sorry' camp so we will be getting a notarized letter this week. I'm just relieved I thought of it before he left.

We will wing it through the EU queue too, glad to hear that others have been successful with this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.