Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking UK pension

Taking UK pension

Old Dec 28th 2016, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

vulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking UK pension

As a US citizen and resident for UK tax purposes the Inland revenue say without a tax code I will be taxed at 40% by the private pension fund manager. I asked as a non UK tax payer is there any form or certificate I can give the fund manager to exempt payment from tax, perhaps in a similar way to interest payments. The short answer was no, claim it back. The only way I could get a tax free payment is to withdraw up to 25% my fund value.

How are y'all dealing with this problem. I can't be the 1st and only receiver of a private UK pension as a non UK tax payer

Last edited by vulcan; Dec 28th 2016 at 1:21 am. Reason: wrong title
Old Dec 28th 2016, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking UK pension

Originally Posted by vulcan
As a US citizen and resident for UK tax purposes the Inland revenue say without a tax code I will be taxed at 40% by the private pension fund manager. I asked as a non UK tax payer is there any form or certificate I can give the fund manager to exempt payment from tax, perhaps in a similar way to interest payments. The short answer was no, claim it back. The only way I could get a tax free payment is to withdraw up to 25% my fund value.

How are y'all dealing with this problem. I can't be the 1st and only receiver of a private UK pension as a non UK tax payer
You need to file form 2002 to get your U.K. Tax code set to NT0 and stop having tax withheld from your U.K. pension.

I went through the same issues when I started to draw a U.K. pension back in 2007.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ndividual-2002
Old Dec 28th 2016, 12:34 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I will assume you are a US citizen and resident in the US.....your post is a little confusing as to where you are tax resident.
You have been given an answer that is wrong mostly by omission and that obviously totally ignores your US citizenship as HMRC is not
concerned about that.

What you do is file an US-Individual-2002 and an 8802 residency form with the IRS in Philadelphia. They will forward it to HMRC. Claim the appropriate DTA tax exemption and you should receive the pension without any tax being withheld. If tax is withheld you would file an R43 to claim the tax back.

Last edited by nun; Dec 28th 2016 at 12:47 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

vulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond reputevulcan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your replies.

I did think "As a US citizen and resident for UK tax purposes" made my status clear enough but if you were confused I apologies
Old Dec 28th 2016, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I did think "As a US citizen and resident for UK tax purposes" made my status clear enough but if you were confused I apologies
Yes, that was clear enough

I guess my situation is that I had my zero tax PAYE code on my UK pension before I returned to the U.K. to become tax resident earlier this year in May, and one of the first things I did was to register for self assessment as I also have US pensions that will be subjected to U.K. tax for the year 16/17.

I am due to start a 2nd UK pension in February and am now wondering now how that will treated regarding tax withholding.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 2:30 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Well it depends on how you read it. It could be "US citizen and resident" or "US citizen.........and resident for UK tax purposes"
Old Dec 28th 2016, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nun
Well it depends on how you read it. It could be "US citizen and resident" or "US citizen.........and resident for UK tax purposes"

" a US citizen and resident for UK tax purposes " ..........it's obviously ambiguous and I can see how you were confused.

Thank you
Old Dec 29th 2016, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

" a US citizen and resident for UK tax purposes " ..........it's obviously ambiguous and I can see how you were confused.

Thank you
Glad that you can now see how it was totally ambiguous for some of us.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kevntrace
Glad that you can now see how it was totally ambiguous for some of us.
Thank you for your contribution
Old Feb 11th 2017, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Late Dec 2016 I mailed my 2002 and an 8802 forms, check cashed early January. Whats' the next step? Who should I expect to here from, the UK tax office, my pension fund manager?

My fund manager, one of the larger ones, isn't what I would consider prompt when it comes to communications.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 5:34 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If I am remembering correctly I heard from HMRC. You will notice that the tax has stopped being deducted before that in all probability. It took several months.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't recall hearing from HMRC but after 2 months on my monthly pension the tax code went to NT (no tax) and I had 2 months worth of tax refunded in my pension cheque.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you both for your reply's.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

iceflow has a reputation beyond reputeiceflow has a reputation beyond reputeiceflow has a reputation beyond reputeiceflow has a reputation beyond reputeiceflow has a reputation beyond reputeiceflow has a reputation beyond reputeiceflow has a reputation beyond reputeiceflow has a reputation beyond reputeiceflow has a reputation beyond reputeiceflow has a reputation beyond reputeiceflow has a reputation beyond repute

Here was my experience last year
Feb 16 - Sent 8802 & 2002 forms to US Treasury in Philly
Apr 16 - Letter from US treasury saying they had approved and sent details on to HMRC
Apr 16 - Letter from HMRC with cheque attached for refund
May 16 - Letter from HMRC stating new tax code = NT

As it all seemed to go into a black hole after Feb 16 I took to calling HMRC on
the international number which I don't have to hand. I have 0300 200 3300 on the cheque letter. First two calls in early / mid April....'nothing showing in the system' was the response. Called early May.....'refund cheque issued and tax code adjusted'.
Hope this helps. It can be hit and miss as to who you get in HMRC and how clued in they are to the 8802 process.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for taking the time to give me a detailed reply. I'll give it another few weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.