Reload this Page >

Taking/Transferring Money to the US

Taking/Transferring Money to the US

Old Mar 9th 2008, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

MarkLB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking/Transferring Money to the US

Hi All,

I've had my K1-Visa approved and I fly to the US on 24th April I've been saving hard and the current exchange rate of almost 1GBP=$2 is helping.

I've heard anecdotal evidence that it makes sense to keep a UK bank account that can be accessed from the web but I'd like to ask opinions on the most cost-efficient and safest way to transfer or take money to the US.

The moment I land my EAD will be submitted and I want to open a bank account or credit union as soon as possible. Presumably, this needs to be done with a SSN? Previously, the Post-Office money card has been a very efficient and easy way to take money (especially with a bank around the corner from where my fiance's residence is) with a minimal cost of a few bucks for withdrawing over the counter.

I'm thinking of loading my card with money for easy access and then the bulk of my savings in another way. Should I pay a one-off fee and transfer it electronically to a new account that she can set up?

I'd like to hear ideas and what you guys did!

Thanks

EDIT: I'm currently looking at the UKForex banner on these boards

Last edited by MarkLB; Mar 9th 2008 at 2:30 pm. Reason: New Info
Old Mar 9th 2008, 3:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking/Transferring Money to the US

Originally Posted by MarkLB
Hi All,

I've had my K1-Visa approved and I fly to the US on 24th April I've been saving hard and the current exchange rate of almost 1GBP=$2 is helping.

I've heard anecdotal evidence that it makes sense to keep a UK bank account that can be accessed from the web but I'd like to ask opinions on the most cost-efficient and safest way to transfer or take money to the US.

The moment I land my EAD will be submitted and I want to open a bank account or credit union as soon as possible. Presumably, this needs to be done with a SSN? Previously, the Post-Office money card has been a very efficient and easy way to take money (especially with a bank around the corner from where my fiance's residence is) with a minimal cost of a few bucks for withdrawing over the counter.

I'm thinking of loading my card with money for easy access and then the bulk of my savings in another way. Should I pay a one-off fee and transfer it electronically to a new account that she can set up?

I'd like to hear ideas and what you guys did!

Thanks

EDIT: I'm currently looking at the UKForex banner on these boards
Oh yes ..keep your UK account ...
tranfer the address to a relative or somebody ..

you can open a bank account oin arrival no problem

What sort of amount are you talking about ???
Old Mar 9th 2008, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Oh yes ..keep your UK account ...
tranfer the address to a relative or somebody ..

you can open a bank account oin arrival no problem

What sort of amount are you talking about ???
It would be in the region of $6000.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 3:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

It would be in the region of $6000.
For that amount ..I would just get the cash ...

http://www.comparetravelmoney.co.uk/index.asp?sort=USD
Old Mar 9th 2008, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
For that amount ..I would just get the cash ...

http://www.comparetravelmoney.co.uk/index.asp?sort=USD
Do you mean to take the cash over as I enter the country? I wouldn't want to attract any attention from an officer upon entry or run the risk of getting mugged!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 3:25 pm
Ray

Do you mean to take the cash over as I enter the country? I wouldn't want to attract any attention from an officer upon entry or run the risk of getting mugged!
$6000 is way below the declaration amount ...

Some people carry that amount for a two week vacation ..
Not too many people get mugged on planes ...
Old Mar 9th 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

$6000 won't attract anyone's attention. Amounts over $10,000 have to be declared, but even that really isn't a big deal. Nothing wrong with having money, as long it was obtained legitimately.