Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking our cat to the USA..meoow

Taking our cat to the USA..meoow

Old Feb 12th 2005, 6:12 pm
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about
Default Taking our cat to the USA..meoow

Hi All,

We are seriously thinking about taking our 3 legged cat to the US in a couple of weeks when we emigrate.
Apparently the airlines charge about £200 for this right now - no problem.

My big question is...what are the Pet Immigration proceedures for pets entering the US from the UK? Any help would be gratefully received.

His name is Bibs - and he's a bog standard, normal, tomcat, with no pedigree and a long history of crap on the carpet (also not a problem - so advice on this is not needed - just advice on the US immigration for pets.)

I know its tight in the UK - for rabies and stuff - but seeing as the US already has rabies (just look at George W. Bushwacker) then I hope its more relaxed coming into the US.

Is a pet ID chip absolutely necessary? Dunno? Does the pope shit inthe woods....probably not anymore.

Many thanks for those who have much needed advice - poor Bibs needs a home - and noone will take him in the UK. The Cats protection league is not an option.

Thank you all kindly,

bumpkin
Old Feb 12th 2005, 6:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking our cat to the USA..meoow

Can't help, but this has been asked before, so you might find a thread about it already?

And you probably want a pet passport anyway, if for any reason you head back with your cat....
Old Feb 12th 2005, 7:18 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I brought my cat out here last march. She flew on the same flight as me on a BMI flight from Manchester, cost 295 GBP. As far as the regulations go for bringing cats into the US, have a look at the CDC website (center for disease control). They are not as strict as bringing cats into the UK. I can't remember if the rabies vaccine is required, I don't think so but I had my cat vaccinated and microchipped around 6 weeks before travel anyway. A couple of days before you are due to travel you need a vets letter of fitness to travel. The company that is shipping your pet for you will need it as will the public health dept on entry to the US.

I also used a cage that was required by the airline. They have regulations on the size etc. On the airline you decide to use, check their website and look at special needs or something similar where there is information for children and the disabled, there will be the regulations for pets travelling. Also call the airline you intend to use.

I also brought my dog on a United Airlines flight a year earlier, 2003, and she just went as excess baggage! It should have cost us something but they didn't bill us for it!

On both occasions I ask the cabin crew to inform me when the animal was on board and they were very helpful. With my cat, there was someone to meet me as I left the airplane and they told me where I would be collecting my cat from. Again with my dog, she just came off where the delicate goods are placed! Both arrived and were well and healthy as if they always travel this way. My cat is not a youngster but 12 years old and she was fine. She is enjoying her old age in luxury and although she doesn't like the cold winters of Illinois, she loves the warm summer months.

There are a lot of threads here on BE about travelling with your pets. Have a look, I'm sure they will be really helpful.

Good luck with your cat.

Maggie

Originally Posted by Suffolk Bumpkin
Hi All,

We are seriously thinking about taking our 3 legged cat to the US in a couple of weeks when we emigrate.
Apparently the airlines charge about £200 for this right now - no problem.

My big question is...what are the Pet Immigration proceedures for pets entering the US from the UK? Any help would be gratefully received.

His name is Bibs - and he's a bog standard, normal, tomcat, with no pedigree and a long history of crap on the carpet (also not a problem - so advice on this is not needed - just advice on the US immigration for pets.)

I know its tight in the UK - for rabies and stuff - but seeing as the US already has rabies (just look at George W. Bushwacker) then I hope its more relaxed coming into the US.

Is a pet ID chip absolutely necessary? Dunno? Does the pope shit inthe woods....probably not anymore.

Many thanks for those who have much needed advice - poor Bibs needs a home - and noone will take him in the UK. The Cats protection league is not an option.

Thank you all kindly,

bumpkin
Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I brought my two cats here last year, and flew with KLM/Northwest, who told me they would simply charge them as excess baggage, at a cost of if I remember correctly, about 60 quid each. Turned out tho, they didn't charge me at all for some reason. I flew from Aberdeen/Amsterdam/Memphis and Tennessee did NOT require the rabies vaccination before hand - I do believe each state differs tho, so you may want to get in touch with the US Embassy who can put you in touch with the Department of Agriculture for whatever state you are going to and they can let you know.

You will need an International Health Certificate from your vet within 48 hours before travelling (cost me about 30 for that for each animal). You will also need an IATA approved pet carrier. I got mine here, http://www.petplaypads.co.uk/Vari_Kennel.htm

If you do it as excess baggage, some airlines will actually let you take your cat on the plane with you, if you put the carrier under seat. This wasn't an option for me as I had two, but they were just fine in the heated part etc. Just make sure that before you board your US bound flight that you check with the gate attendants that the cat is actually on the plane!

Good luck - it's really not too much of a hassle as long as you arrange everything in plenty of time.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:37 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
If you do it as excess baggage, some airlines will actually let you take your cat on the plane with you, if you put the carrier under seat. This wasn't an option for me as I had two, but they were just fine in the heated part etc. Just make sure that before you board your US bound flight that you check with the gate attendants that the cat is actually on the plane!
I flew my two cats out with me from Spain. They'd already flown from London to Spain when I moved there and were old paws at it.

I think they're better off in the hold. It's all part of the same pressure vessel and is the same air and temp that you have in the main cabin. It's quieter there, they have less stress and if they are anything like my two, the cat will arrive in better shape than you do!

On arriving at customs, the lovely immigration guy helped me out into the arrivals hall as I was on my own and had a ton of luggage. Customs just waved me through and didn't even want to look at the cats.

The baggage handlers were fab too and even carried them into the immigration inspection room where I was waiting to be processed.

Last edited by sibsie; Feb 12th 2005 at 9:49 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Check this out too

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/pet-info.html