Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking niece to usa and has depression and anxiety

Taking niece to usa and has depression and anxiety

Old Aug 7th 2016, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

edd78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking niece to usa and has depression and anxiety

Hi. I am planning on taking my niece on holiday to new York with as a treat, at the moment she is not working. And his suffering from depression and anxiety. Would that effect her from getting into America, as on the esta application forms it asks if you have a mental or physical disorders.
Old Aug 7th 2016, 9:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking niece to usa and has depression and anxiety

I guess it depends on the level of her condition. Is she at risk of harming herself or others?

Rene
Old Aug 7th 2016, 10:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edd78
Hi. I am planning on taking my niece on holiday to new York with as a treat, at the moment she is not working. And his suffering from depression and anxiety. Would that effect her from getting into America, as on the esta application forms it asks if you have a mental or physical disorders.
Is she going to be able to handle seven hours cooped up on a plane, followed by the sensory onslaught that is the city that never sleeps?
Old Aug 8th 2016, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Many of my trips from UK to the USA end up being a 24 hour marathon of getting up early, heading to the airport, being crammed on a plane, switching planes, trecking through huge airports etc.

It's not the most pleasant experience and so I'd definitely evaluate if this is a good idea given what you've said.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

she will not be a danger to herself and others. But best to ask her gp to see if she will be fit for what will be a long flight and all the hassle. What would be the best thing to do with the the question regarding mental disorders, should she tick the box saying she has a mental disorder.

Thanks for the replys
Old Aug 8th 2016, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

she will not be a danger to herself and others. But best to ask her gp to see if she will be fit for what will be a long flight and all the hassle. What would be the best thing to do with the the question regarding mental disorders, should she tick the box saying she has a mental disorder.

Thanks for the replys
I would consult the family doctor on this.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

A family doctor may be able to prescribe something to calm her down.

My sister suffers from terrible anxiety and she was prescribe something by the GP that managed it while we were flying. As Tom said, it's not just the flight you've got the whole process of the morning, airport, flight, the horrible experience of going through customs at JFK etc etc.

It's certainly worth speaking to a GP. I Believe it was diazepam she was prescribed.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 9:39 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Is she clinically depressed, under medical care, or is she less severe than that?

There have been cases of people clinically depressed and hospitalized who have been denied entrance, but was rare and sounded more like a severe (i.e. police possible involved) kind of case.

Depressed? You May Not Be Able to Enter the U.S. | World of Psychology
Old Aug 8th 2016, 1:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

New York seems to be one of the last places on earth that someone with anxiety should be visiting. ..... Is this a treat for your niece, or for you?

I would have thought somewhere more tranquil would be a better choice - maybe Austria or Switzerland, or if your budget isn't quite up to Switzerland, try the Italian Dolomites immediately south of Switzerland or near lake Como or lake Garda.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 2:53 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
New York seems to be one of the last places on earth that someone with anxiety should be visiting. ..... Is this a treat for your niece, or for you?

I would have thought somewhere more tranquil would be a better choice - maybe Austria or Switzerland, or if your budget isn't quite up to Switzerland, try the Italian Dolomites immediately south of Switzerland or near lake Como or lake Garda.

As someone who suffers from both major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. I couldn't disagree more.

I spent a month in Tokyo last year and loved it.

Both disorders are a lot more complex than " you shouldn't go anywhere shiny or noisy"

The op wasn't asking for a commentary on managing mental illness
Old Aug 8th 2016, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the reply's,
She is not that bad where you needed hospitalized. I was supposed to be a treat for my niece. But now thinking of just going myself but don't know yet. As says on replys and agree maybe the hasthe of flights customs ect might not help. But she needs to seek to family doctor to see if it's safe for her to fly
Old Aug 8th 2016, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't write it off, as I mentioned my sister really does suffer from very bad anxiety and with the meds she was described from the GP she got through everything just fine and she had a lovely time.

A mental illness certainly shouldn't stop your niece (or anyone) from being able to travel places and enjoy herself.

Speak to the GP first and then make a decision!
Old Aug 8th 2016, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

That's the best thing to do first is get her to speed to her gp. Then make decision after that.

Thanks for reply
Old Aug 8th 2016, 9:01 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again for the reply's,
She is not that bad where you needed hospitalized. I was supposed to be a treat for my niece. But now thinking of just going myself but don't know yet. As says on replys and agree maybe the hasthe of flights customs ect might not help. But she needs to seek to family doctor to see if it's safe for her to fly
So she basically gets anxious at a few things, but mainly no big deal. If so, there isn't an issue here. This is something the Americans couldn't care less about.

If she had self harmed, or harmed others etc, that's another issue; but they haven't.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 10:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
As someone who suffers from both major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. I couldn't disagree more.

I spent a month in Tokyo last year and loved it.

Both disorders are a lot more complex than " you shouldn't go anywhere shiny or noisy"

The op wasn't asking for a commentary on managing mental illness
Couldn't agree more with you Zoe. My partner suffers major anxiety at the thought of flying, but with a prescription for diazepam and some CBT he managed to come to Canada with me for a fabulous holiday this year.