Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking my Dog to the UK

Taking my Dog to the UK

Old Mar 7th 2015, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking my Dog to the UK

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

One more thing to consider...what will go through the US Immigration Officer's head when you are trying to enter the U.S. from the UK for a couple of weeks with a dog? It may look like you intend to stay.

I thought of this too, but then realised the OP is a Brit.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 4:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Of course...thanks. I have edited my post.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all. Given what I have learned here, its obviously not a feasible option unless the duration is much longer or permanent. Thanks for sharing the knowledge
Old Mar 11th 2015, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Brit and American...
Old Mar 12th 2015, 10:47 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigK
Thanks all. Given what I have learned here, its obviously not a feasible option unless the duration is much longer or permanent. Thanks for sharing the knowledge
I think you are making the right decision.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of on the same topic - has anyone here ever taken their dog USA - Argentina (big dog, as baggage)? And then got him back into the US again with out any trouble?

It's possible I may have some work there for a few months (±4). I'm more worried about the reception facilities in the Buenos Aires airport mainly and wanted to see if any of our great travellers and founts of knowledge have any first hand experience.

Honestly, I'd rather leave him here in the US but I have no family or dog-loving friends with whom to leave him. Putting a dog on a plane is horrific as we've all discussed but I may not have any choice.

My only other option would be to ship him cargo to my parents in the UK for the duration. Since the flight time is the same to UK as it is to ARG ... I'm really not sure what to do.

Old Mar 13th 2015, 6:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
Sort of on the same topic - has anyone here ever taken their dog USA - Argentina (big dog, as baggage)? And then got him back into the US again with out any trouble?

It's possible I may have some work there for a few months (±4). I'm more worried about the reception facilities in the Buenos Aires airport mainly and wanted to see if any of our great travellers and founts of knowledge have any first hand experience.

Honestly, I'd rather leave him here in the US but I have no family or dog-loving friends with whom to leave him. Putting a dog on a plane is horrific as we've all discussed but I may not have any choice.

My only other option would be to ship him cargo to my parents in the UK for the duration. Since the flight time is the same to UK as it is to ARG ... I'm really not sure what to do.

If you have a very trustworthy kennels (and can afford it), that might be the best solution. It's a bit like the old 6-month quarantine here in the UK (except he wouldn't be quarantined - could be let out for walkies, etc.)

We kid ourselves they can't survive without us but in the right kennels, all the evidence is that they forget us almost immediately and then months later when they see us again it's like we never left.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 6:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you have a very trustworthy kennels (and can afford it), that might be the best solution. It's a bit like the old 6-month quarantine here in the UK (except he wouldn't be quarantined - could be let out for walkies, etc.)

We kid ourselves they can't survive without us but in the right kennels, all the evidence is that they forget us almost immediately and then months later when they see us again it's like we never left.
The cost for 3-4 months in kennels is going to be in the same ball park as for two international flights for a dog, and I would definitely choose that over two such long flights.

Some vets have boarding facilities for dogs and cats, and occasionally other animals, and we board our cats with a local vet.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 7:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

(
In my area, many dog walking services also have employees who will stay in your home with your pet while you are away. They are bonded and insured. Ask your vet if he is familiar with any such services. Also, the young technicians who work at my veterinary hospital will stay at the home of a patient while their owner is on vacation (they don't earn a lot, so it's a great income boost for them!). I have always had people stay at my home when I've gone away -- but as I have multiple dogs it is also cost effective for me to choose that option.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

If the travel is too much, try a home boarding option. 4 months will be harder for you than your pet, but atleast they will be in a home and not caged 20 hours a day.

We leave our pet (for 2-3 weeks) every year at a lady's house who boards dogs. They hang around her house, use the back yard and there are always other dogs to play with. I feel ok doing this versus the traditional kennel because my dog is free to roam around. I suspect she likes it. The cost of this can vary from $25-$85/day depending on where you live, but for 4 months you could probably negotiate a better daily rate. There is a site called rover.com that matches pet owners to boarders. Give it a go
Old Mar 14th 2015, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't leave him in a kennels ever nor could someone stay in my home with him (because I won't have one for the duration I'm gone). I will ask my sitter about a long term stay with her ... :s.

I would of course prefer him to be with me but at the end of the day being without me for a few months might be better than a 12 hour return journey on a plane.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 1:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't leave him in a kennels ever nor could someone stay in my home with him (because I won't have one for the duration I'm gone). I will ask my sitter about a long term stay with her ... :s.

I would of course prefer him to be with me but at the end of the day being without me for a few months might be better than a 12 hour return journey on a plane.
Did you get him from a reputable breeder? If so the breeder may look after him for you.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at some of the dog camps www.campbowwow.com/
If you are at N. Florida try Pet Camp, St. Augustine
Old Mar 14th 2015, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Did you get him from a reputable breeder? If so the breeder may look after him for you.
No, he is a mutt and I bought him over here with me (had him since he was 7 weeks old!).

Audio, I have checked out camp bowwow but a) the dogs still sleep in cages and b) it's reallllly expensive.

I will not leave him for such a long period in a commercial kennels so it's basically my sitter who takes him in her home or he gets on the plane.

Neither are ideal, both are expensive but that is the price to pay for having a four legged friend and still needing to make a living!
Old Mar 14th 2015, 2:27 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I was never a fan of kennels either, but we had a few situations here where our dog had to be kennelled, and I pretty soon realized she actually enjoys it!

If possible, for short stays, we leave her at our vets, as there is a vet tech there that she absolutely loves. When she sees him, she jumps into his arms, and licks his face while he carries her out like a baby - I never get that treatment from her

For longer stays we leave her at a great place that has a great outside field for playing, and again, she gets great attention and gets really excited when she realizes where she's going. Admittedly, in both places she is caged at night, but it is in an area bigger than she chooses to sleep in at home. There are some kennels out there that I would definitely not leave her in, but if you do your research, you may find one worth trying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.