Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking my Dog to the UK

Taking my Dog to the UK

Old Mar 6th 2015, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking my Dog to the UK

Hello - I would like to take my dog with me to the UK when I go this summer (likely for 3 weeks). There is a lot of information on the web between the government, carriers, brokers etc, that I am just confused.

Is there a web site somewhere that will walk me through the process in a simple manner?

Thank you
Old Mar 6th 2015, 7:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking my Dog to the UK

You're going to spend $3,000+ on a round trip to the UK for your dog?

If you seriously want to do it, there are a number of threads on the subject of shipping dogs on the Moving Back to the UK subforum. IMO asking your question there is also more likely to get you a useful answer.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 6th 2015 at 7:15 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

What Pulaski said. Putting your dog and yourself through that stress for a 3 week trip is not worth the bother. Getting a pet into the UK via air is a nightmare - see the many other threads on this subject.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're going to spend $3,000+ on a round trip to the UK for your dog?

If you seriously want to do it, there are a number of threads on the subject of shipping dogs on the Moving Back to the UK subforum. IMO asking your question there is also more likely to get you a useful answer.
I had no idea! What's the hangup? One would think this is easy since many travel with pets
Old Mar 6th 2015, 7:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigK
I had no idea! What's the hangup? One would think this is easy since many travel with pets
"Hang up"? ..... I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Around $1,500 +/- is what you pay most airlines charge to ship a dog in a crate one way across the Atlantic, though depending on demand and availability of space I have read reports here on BE of people being quoted $2,500-$3,000 for a one-way trip for a dog.

American and British airlines do not allow even small dogs in carry-crates into the passenger cabin.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

When was the last time you saw a pet on a trans Atlantic flight?

UK has strict rules on the import of animals due to it being rabies free. You can ONLY bring your animal in by cargo. Other countries allow you to bring in the animals as baggage.

You need to have certain certificates and proof of vaccination a certain amount of time before your dog can fly.

Many airlines won't fly your dog if the temperatures are above or below a threshold at the exit/entry point.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are threads about going on the QM2 as it has kennels.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
There are threads about going on the QM2 as it has kennels.
Kennels which are fully booked through to spring 2016. They are not currently taking bookings further ahead.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps Doggie can go next year.

I am sure mine would love a trip to the UK, he may find the vehicles a bit small.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Hang up"? ..... I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Around $1,500 +/- is what you pay most airlines charge to ship a dog in a crate one way across the Atlantic, though depending on demand and availability of space I have read reports here on BE of people being quoted $2,500-$3,000 for a one-way trip for a dog.

American and British airlines do not allow even small dogs in carry-crates into the passenger cabin.
+1, easy for you BigK perhaps but have a thought for the animal's wellfare, all that stress for just 3 weeks........
Old Mar 7th 2015, 8:43 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

People who participate in dog shows fly their dogs all over the world, so there is a precedent for canine "frequent flyers" - but I wouldn't personally put a dog through a transatlantic return flight for just a short holiday.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 9:27 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
People who participate in dog shows fly their dogs all over the world, so there is a precedent for canine "frequent flyers" - but I wouldn't personally put a dog through a transatlantic return flight for just a short holiday.
+1 It is definitely not fun for them.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 9:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigK
Hello - I would like to take my dog with me to the UK when I go this summer (likely for 3 weeks). There is a lot of information on the web between the government, carriers, brokers etc, that I am just confused.

Is there a web site somewhere that will walk me through the process in a simple manner?

Thank you
Far, far cheaper to kennel your dogs for the time, and a lot less stress for you and the dog. You wi;ll have to abide by all tyhe rules on the DEFRA website, and by the carrier rules. People on here complain about the cost of shipping their dog when they move permanently. Many of those who do move dogs for showing time the trip to coincide with several championship shows in the country they are going to, and also many of them sell thier dogs while there, so no return costs.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by dunroving
Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
+1 It is definitely not fun for them.
Originally Posted by mikelincs
Far, far cheaper to kennel your dogs for the time, and a lot less stress for you and the dog. You wi;ll have to abide by all tyhe rules on the DEFRA website, and by the carrier rules. People on here complain about the cost of shipping their dog when they move permanently. Many of those who do move dogs for showing time the trip to coincide with several championship shows in the country they are going to, and also many of them sell their dogs while there, so no return costs.
I suspect that that those who participate in the big dog shows often get together to charter a small jet and so circumvent the airlines' "no dogs in the cabin" rule, and also avoid the heat/cold issue.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 12:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Pets travelling to the UK must be transported by designated airlines, on designated routes by DEFRA. Pets are not allowed to enter the UK travelling in the cabin. This is because the UK is a rabies free country and they want to keep it that way. I think it is still possible to fly out of the UK with a small pet...approx 10lbs...but no British airlines allow this. Continental used to before they were taken over by United...I don't know if United do.

I'm a dog lover but cannot understand why anyone would want to put their dog through the stress of travelling on a long haul flight for a few weeks holiday. On top of the flight time...the pet could be waiting around for hours at the airport at each end.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 7th 2015 at 4:18 pm. Reason: Duh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.