Reload this Page >

Taking my Cat back to the UK

Taking my Cat back to the UK

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

DivineAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking my Cat back to the UK

Hey,

When I moved to the USA I was able to bring my cat in without any quarantine by flying via Canada - can't remember the technicalities now.

I am now wanting to move back and see that the UK has a Pet Passport thign where you can avoid quarantine if your cat is fitted with a microchip and vaccinated etc. six months prior to departure.

My problem is that I may need to leave asap and am wondering if anyone knows anythign about this and whether I could bypass the system by flying back through Canada?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking my Cat back to the UK

Originally Posted by DivineAngel
Hey,

When I moved to the USA I was able to bring my cat in without any quarantine by flying via Canada - can't remember the technicalities now.

I am now wanting to move back and see that the UK has a Pet Passport thign where you can avoid quarantine if your cat is fitted with a microchip and vaccinated etc. six months prior to departure.

My problem is that I may need to leave asap and am wondering if anyone knows anythign about this and whether I could bypass the system by flying back through Canada?

Thanks for your help.
No you cant I'm afraid. The US doesnt have quarantine laws which is probably why you were okay on the way out. The UK does so it doesnt matter which country you go via if you dont have a pet passport or indeed a health certificate (for travel from the US) on the pet travel scheme you cat will have to go into quarantine for 6 months.

Having said that it does take a total of 7 months for the health certificate to take effect so if you start the process now and dont finish it your cat would stay in quarantine for the remainder of the time up to 6 months.

Do you have a friend that could take the cat whilst it stays out its 7 months?