Reload this Page >

Taking my car to the US

Taking my car to the US

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

dirtbike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking my car to the US

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of some reliabel info related to importing a classic british car into the US.

The car is over 25yrs old so should be exempt of safety or emissions legislation and I've owned it in the UK for several years.

I've tried googling but all I ever find is info on bringing US cars to the UK.

Thanks in advance
Nick

Last edited by dirtbike; Sep 22nd 2009 at 7:05 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking my car to the US

Originally Posted by dirtbike
Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of some reliabel info related to importing a classic british car into the US.

The car is over 25yrs old so should be exempt of safety or emissions legislation and I've owned it in the UK for several years.

Thanks in advance
Nick
Yup you can do ... plenty of headaches for you though
The insurance to drive it should be fun

not a lot about it cos rarely people try it .... but there is probably an importer somewhere out there
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629023
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

few threads on the subject...generally not worth the cost though, the cost being from an official importer to do it for you.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks in advance
Nick
Where are you going to get the fuel to power it? [the answer may not be as obvious as it appears]

That's just one of the many questions you would be best advised to seek an answer to before embarking on this project.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks in advance
Nick
WHY?????????????? Who would want to import an old junker here in the US. We have enough of our own.

Have you read up on the US Custom's website?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

I was planning on using super unleaded the same as you use in a modern car, the car maybe more than 25years old but the engineering and technology certainly isn't

I've had a look on the customs site and could only find the info I stated above, I was hoping to find someone that has been through the process. I haven't read through the thread with the VW Bus yet but I'm about to.

Thanks for the inpute so far.
Nick
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a look on the customs site and could only find the info I stated above, I was hoping to find someone that has been through the process. I haven't read through the thread with the VW Bus yet but I'm about to.
The result is, it's a no goer on that one.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:41 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I was planning on using super unleaded the same as you use in a modern car, the car maybe more than 25years old but the engineering and technology certainly isn't

Thanks for the inpute so far.
Nick
Hi:

As BritishGuy36 noted, what do you intend to fuel the thing with? It is hard to compare since the Pump Octane in the US is a combination of RON and MO -- tends to be about 4 points lower than UK. "Regular" is about 91 RON in the US, midgrade would be about 93 RON and Premium is about 94-95 RON.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 12:46 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

As BritishGuy36 noted, what do you intend to fuel the thing with? It is hard to compare since the Pump Octane in the US is a combination of RON and MO -- tends to be about 4 points lower than UK. "Regular" is about 91 RON in the US, midgrade would be about 93 RON and Premium is about 94-95 RON.
Just add a toluene/xylene mix.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I was planning on using super unleaded the same as you use in a modern car
Ok so octane rating about 98 then....I repeat my question.

Unless of course you want to carefully measure and fart around with additives a-la Fatbrit's suggestion.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Lover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really niceLover not a fighter is just really nice

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Ok so octane rating about 98 then....I repeat my question.

Unless of course you want to carefully measure and fart around with additives a-la Fatbrit's suggestion.
I'll answer your question, from personal experience. It'll run absolutely fine on 94 premium fuel. I've not added an additive and its thrashing around on US roads quite happily.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 4:03 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

As you've figured out, 25+ year old cars are exempt from DOT and EPA regulations. That makes them easier to import and you won't need to use a "registered importer."

You will need to clear customs, though. Have a look at this: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/bas...orting_car.xml

As for octane, 98 in the UK is roughly equal to 93 in the US. In many states, premium is 91 octane, so you find the fuel here to be a bit on the low side of what you're used to. However, you can add an octane booster to the fuel easily enough.

(The US octane measure is on the AKI method; the UK and most of the world use RON. RON octane numbers are about 4-5 points higher than their US equivalents, so a rough conversion isn't difficult.)
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP

As for octane, 98 in the UK is roughly equal to 93 in the US. In many states, premium is 91 octane, so you find the fuel here to be a bit on the low side of what you're used to. However, you can add an octane booster to the fuel easily enough.
You can get super premium in a few places though, but my god is that stuff expensive and for the sake of a rubbish old banger just isn't worth it.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the link to the customs stuff, I'll have a read through it.

Guys, fuel is not an issue trust me, it is a low compression engine that has mappable fuel and ignition so lower grade fuel is only a few key strokes of the laptop away.

If the car was simply a rot box I wouldn't even entertain the idea but as I slaved many hours and many many £'s making this car what it is I'm loathed to get rid of it. If it's a case of rolling the old girl into a container with what little belongings I'll be taking and sending it on a boat for 3 weeks I'm happy to do so.

What I need to know is what do I have to do with customs, will there be any duty to pay despite owning the car for many years here, can anyone recommend a shipping agent etc...

Thank you all for the advice but I just need to know what is required to get it there, making it run on low grade fuel is not going to be an issue but I appreciate your advice because I'm sure to many people it wouldn't have occured to them that UK spec fuel is better than most premium fuels in the US.

Kind regards
Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.