Reload this Page >

Taking medications

Taking medications

Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:58 pm
Banned

messirules is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking medications

Originally Posted by Stoutbanana
What I meant was that whilst I am living in the UK I pay for a pre-payment card for the year that enables me to get meds for the whole year every month. Just because I spend a couple of months in another country my doctors seem to think this means I become ineligible to take three months with me and that is what I meant by it should not matter where I am ill.

When I get married I will be able to get meds through my wife's medicare plan and pay.

you are trying to screw the NHS system like a lot of people do. Your prepayment card covers diddly squat and a lot of doctors only issue one month at a time to stop people doing what you are doing. I've heard of some ppl asking GPs to post their meds to Spain etc complete taking the mick no wonder the NHS is skint
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Stoutbanana
I buy a pre-payment card in the UK (last year it was a just over a hundred pounds for a year) and I do an online repeat and my friend picks the meds up and posts them to me here in SD.
She sends them International Signed For for a tenner and I get them in just over a week.

If your doctors practice finds out you are spending more time here than in the UK they will de-list you and you will have to go into the practice with ID to re-sign up.

Don't tell them too much!

Your GP should get the NHS counter fraud service involved as clearly you are bending the rule in-extremus
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by messirules
you are trying to screw the NHS system like a lot of people do. Your prepayment card covers diddly squat and a lot of doctors only issue one month at a time to stop people doing what you are doing. I've heard of some ppl asking GPs to post their meds to Spain etc complete taking the mick no wonder the NHS is skint
No he isn't. He is a UK resident visiting the US for a max of 90 days...he is therefore entitled to UK NHS prescription meds. Most NHS doctors will prescribe 3 months of meds.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No he isn't. He is a UK resident visiting the US for a max of 90 days...he is therefore entitled to UK NHS prescription meds. Most NHS doctors will prescribe 3 months of meds.

no universal policy far as i was aware some do it just for 1 month if the PCT tells them to for cost cutting reasons
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You can take your prescription (talking about a US one here) to any pharmacy but both Target and Costco have pharmacies in their larger stores.
This depends on the state. It is the case in most places, but not in MA.

In this state you have to state a particular place and register it with your doctor, so when you get prescription meds, you don't get a script, it goes direct to the pharmacy or the shop you registered and have to go pick it up from there.

It makes it much more harder to shop around because you then need to let the doctor, the old and the new pharmacy know, so that they can punt the script around.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I seem to remember someone posting a while ago whose parent came here through family sponsorship without insurance. Although the son had lived here for years...he hadn't realised that his parent would not be able to get healthcare insurance without it costing an arm and a leg. Their health took a turn for the worse and it all got very messy.
Yes, this is what is worrying me with the OP. She says her hubby has sorted out the health insurance, but they are not yet in the country and I don't see how he can say this.

I wish the OP would confirm how they think they are going to get health insurance.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Apr 10th 2012 at 7:03 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Stoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant futureStoutbanana has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by messirules
no universal policy far as i was aware some do it just for 1 month if the PCT tells them to for cost cutting reasons
That is my problem....getting a doctor to give me more than a month at a time.

Well Mr Messirules (what an apt username you have) my hospital doctor suggested I get someone to post the meds out to me when I told him I was going away for 3 months.