British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   taking kids to the usa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/taking-kids-usa-214242/)

lesleyinlondon Mar 2nd 2004 1:06 pm

taking kids to the usa

i get very confused reading all these sites i wish someone would explain things in plain english sometimes lol on these official sites....i am going to america on a fiancee visa and i have 3 kids going too my fiancee is not their father but my ex has given his permission for us to go and for him to adopt them.........is there any way i can go earlier rathe rthan keep us al seperated as a family for a long time...like wait in america for the visa application to go through?? to save family seperation..any idea would be great . im having trouble in the uka nd am going to be evicted by a nasty landlord the day after i leave for america anyway for a 3 week vacation on 31 march, i just wish i didnt have to come back
i havent had any interview here yet or naything ive oly just atrted my application..but i know we meet all the riteria ect money ect ect
help!!!! any help appreciated
:eek:

NC Penguin Mar 2nd 2004 2:13 pm

Re: taking kids to the usa

Originally posted by lesleyinlondon
i get very confused reading all these sites i wish someone would explain things in plain english sometimes lol on these official sites....i am going to america on a fiancee visa and i have 3 kids going too my fiancee is not their father but my ex has given his permission for us to go and for him to adopt them.........is there any way i can go earlier rathe rthan keep us al seperated as a family for a long time...like wait in america for the visa application to go through?? to save family seperation..any idea would be great . im having trouble in the uka nd am going to be evicted by a nasty landlord the day after i leave for america anyway for a 3 week vacation on 31 march, i just wish i didnt have to come back
i havent had any interview here yet or naything ive oly just atrted my application..but i know we meet all the riteria ect money ect ect
Please repost in the British Expats forum named "US Marriage Based Visas". Readers of that forum/newsgroup are more likely to have experience/knowledge about your situation.

Manc Mar 2nd 2004 2:21 pm

I don't think that is possible to be in the USA while they look into your past while applying for a K1.

FlyergirlUK Mar 2nd 2004 3:54 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
I don't think that is possible to be in the USA while they look into your past while applying for a K1.
Well, it is, (did it myself) but, as always, it's up to immigration at the POE.
It's always wise to have with you plenty of proof of your intent to return to Blighty though you may not even be asked for it - better safe than sorry!

I came over here end of July last year, stayed 90 days, travelled to England for five days then returned to the States, (granted another 90 days) until I had to go back for my interview at the Embassy in December.

Manc Mar 2nd 2004 4:16 pm

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
Well, it is, (did it myself) but, as always, it's up to immigration at the POE.
It's always wise to have with you plenty of proof of your intent to return to Blighty though you may not even be asked for it - better safe than sorry!

I came over here end of July last year, stayed 90 days, travelled to England for five days then returned to the States, (granted another 90 days) until I had to go back for my interview at the Embassy in December.
Would very expensive for 4 people though.

FlyergirlUK Mar 2nd 2004 5:08 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
Would very expensive for 4 people though.
Undoubtedly! But, that is at the OP's discretion.
If she's willing to take the risk at the POE, (hoping that the immigration dude doesn't suffer from PMS, whether male or female, or just a bad attitude) then it's up to her.
The key to entry, IMO, is to answer only the questions asked of you and to offer up no further information, that and smile sweetly!
Lying at the POE could result in any kind of trouble, at the very least, further interrogation in a seperate room - scary!! :eek:

Jan Alaska Mar 2nd 2004 9:18 pm

Lesley it seems to me that as you are at the beginning of your application for your k1 and K2 children, and that you still have quite some time to wait. You have said that your landlord is going to evict you when you leave for your holiday, are you taking your children to the US with you at that time?
Technically you can only stay in the US for 90 days on a visa waiver after that you will have to return to the UK, where you can choose to wait out the remaining time until your interview in London or fly back out to the US and hope the officer at the POE lets you through for another 90 days which will obviously be costly. Normally when folks ask about entering the US while a K1 is being processed you would be advised to make sure you have plenty of proof that you intend to return to the UK, without any proof of work or lodging it could be hard to get into the US anyway. If I were you I would look for alternative lodging and plan to be in the UK for rest of the time your K1/K2 takes to process. We all know its not easy to be apart from the one you love but its worth it in the end.

Good Luck
Jan :)

helenw Mar 2nd 2004 9:37 pm

Leslie, I am in the same boat, 3 kids coming with me etc. There is nothing I would love more than to drop everything for us all to be together as a family in the US. But, because of the kids, I am taking it the correct route. I don't want to jeperdise any future in the US by doing things the wrong way. I know in my heart it is best in the long run. And what about the kids schooling and such? I don't think you can send them to a US school without official thingys. Believe me, this is something I have gone over & over, and the best thing, and safest thing to do, because of the kids, is wait it out in the UK. It is when you think about it, a short period of time to wait, compared to the rest of your life with your new family.

Please excuse my spelling today! And have a good vacation.

Helen :)