Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking kids out of School Early

Taking kids out of School Early

Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all
Default Taking kids out of School Early

The problem with the US schools (here in NJ anyway) is that the Christmas and Easter holidays are only a week long whereas the summer is extra long. Having only a week makes long haul vacations a tad difficult.

Back home we used pull the kids out a few days early but always made sure they were back for the first day of the new term. They were at private school and nobody ever complained.

Do the school authorities here frown on taking kids out early (talking about public schools).
Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking kids out of School Early

Originally Posted by digbydog
The problem with the US schools (here in NJ anyway) is that the Christmas and Easter holidays are only a week long whereas the summer is extra long. Having only a week makes long haul vacations a tad difficult.

Back home we used pull the kids out a few days early but always made sure they were back for the first day of the new term. They were at private school and nobody ever complained.

Do the school authorities here frown on taking kids out early (talking about public schools).
Oh Yes, they do! We have had numerous 'discussions' with our kids schools here in the US (going back years) They don't like it if you take the kids out of school for anything besides family emergencies or pre-approved absences, for example Dr's appt's or college visits.

The only thing you can do really is accept that your kids will get zero credit for anything that they miss during the absence, and just accept, that unless you get approval (which we have found is almost impossible) they will not be able to make up the work on their return either!

It's one of my pet peeves about the schools here
Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe talk to your school district. If it's a visit to see family in the UK, and they're not missing too many days, the school may let them make up the work or take it with them. What I think is particularly frowned upon is 'we wanted to go to Florida' type excuses. I believe the OP has a different circumstance so it might be worth discussing.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The schools in our district only receive funding for the days a child is in school. They may be amenable if you pay the shortfall.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The schools in our district only receive funding for the days a child is in school. They may be amenable if you pay the shortfall.
That would be a completely different reason for the rule. Ridiculous yes, but given they way we fund our schools not surprising. That's a good suggestion, Sally!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

If they're just in elementary school, I wouldn't worry too much.... It gets a bit trickier when they enter junior or senior high, certainly senior high. Our school district has a form you can fill out to get special permission to have days off....perhaps yours does as well? Certainly if you get district permission and the kids are doing well in their subjects you could take the time off?
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:04 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Our school gets a bit bent out of shape over it, even the elementary school, but I figure it's more important for the kids to see family once in a while, so have pull them out a week early to travel to UK for Christmas. I told the school secretary, if you like I'll call them in sick before we leave for the airport, she laughed and said don't worry. I think they marked them as sick for the week.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

We were going to CA for MIL's retirement ceremony, we asked (nicely) at our Sons school for 3 days off (added to the ThanksGiving vacation) They were adamant that he was not allowed to take the days off, we ended up going as high as the school superintendent, without getting permission, it was even suggested that we fly to CA without our son (15 at the time) and just book him a later travel date and for us to meet him from the plane in CA They had no suggestions as to how he could get himself to the airport at this end!

We later were advised by another parent, that it is best to call and say the kid is sick and just take what you need
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I asked that same question before our daughter even started school, my hubby has a job that makes travel other than in the winter very difficult. The school were not excited about the idea but were not dead set against it either, my daughter goes to a Charter school if that makes any difference.

I look at it this way too, the longest she would be out of school is for a trip to the UK, on our up coming trip we already have a weekend sight seeing in London planned, a trip to Edinburgh and a trip to York. Tell me that is not educational!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Your kids' education is more important than vacations to the UK or other family events.

Thank you.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Hello all,

Your kids' education is more important than vacations to the UK or other family events.

Thank you.
Huh

My dad is waiting for a kidney transplant and CANNOT travel to the US, my mother is dead, do you honestly believe that my children should never see their grandfather because a school says so? With all due respect that is one of the most stupid things I have ever heard.

Edited to add. Tell me how many of the kids in my 5 year old daughter's class will be able to say they have seen York Minster, Durham Catheral, Durham Castle, West Minster, Big Ben, Harrods, Buckingham Palace etc etc etc, in person not some and not some picture from a book or website. I do believe their is an educational value to travelling too!

Last edited by Ash UK/US; Oct 19th 2009 at 5:14 am.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by digbydog

It's not a lot different in UK schools. To get permission to take your child out of school can vary from school to school. Officially I believe you can have 10 days authorized abscence, but it's up to the discretion of the Head. Some can kick up a hell of a fuss and marks days as unauthorized leaving some at the mercy of the education authorities.
Personally I don't see what a few days either side of a holiday will do to their education. Is it really about funding, don't know why I'm surprised!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Huh

My dad is waiting for a kidney transplant and CANNOT travel to the US, my mother is dead, do you honestly believe that my children should never see their grandfather because a school says so? With all due respect that is one of the most stupid things I have ever heard.

Edited to add. Tell me how many of the kids in my 5 year old daughter's class will be able to say they have seen York Minster, Durham Catheral, Durham Castle, West Minster, Big Ben, Harrods, Buckingham Palace etc etc etc, in person not some and not some picture from a book or website. I do believe their is an educational value to travelling too!
I get that the childs education is important, but I also think that the parent of the child knows if a few days off school will harm/hinder their education! Both my kids were/are entirely opposite, in that the oldest struggled through school and had to study hard continually in order to get good grades, the youngest seems to have been blessed, he finds everything extremely easy and passes tests with high grades without the need for much study at all.

We never took the oldest out of school unless it was absolutely necessary, but the youngest has had it a little easier and we haven't had to worry too much about him missing a few days here and there.

I agree with Ash, the trips to the UK are an education in their own way
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I've always thought that there's more to education than school (and I'm a teacher!)
I agree with others, that at elementary school age, taking kids out for a few days "shouldn't" be a problem (it wasn't in the last state we lived in).
I know that, here in Texas, in High School they will fine you if you go over the "allowed" amount of time out (not sure wha that amount is though) and that my kids hate being taken out because of all the make up work they have to do when they get back
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

Caleyjag.... I assume you have no children and that visiting family is not too high on your agenda....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.