Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking kids out of School Early

Taking kids out of School Early

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

nooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant future
Default Re: Taking kids out of School Early

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
And of course the UK system is turning out well educated geniuses who've never been further than the town centre on a Friday night
well........ I take your point-- but even the Tiffanys and Waynes of our fair isle have a slightly more world view---- you throw up bacardi breezer in Swansea and Sangria in Spain, and tequila in Cancun and guinness on stag do in Dublin...
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:14 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Hello all,

Your kids' education is more important than vacations to the UK or other family events.

Thank you.
i think what you say is very valid if it was say simply a beach holiday or disney or something thats of a more trivial nature. Flying half way round the globe to see relatives that wont always be there is a fair bit different.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nooj
good for you! i love that!

I think this out of proportion attitude by schools, coupled with the badly spaced school holidays means that the american education system turns out people who are entirely insular, never been out of their own state let alone visited another country and contributes to the negative view that the rest of the world has about young americans. Its not really their fault if they are so surprised that not everyone else in the world worships the cheeseburger, if the poor buggers never get the chance to leave the classroom.
So 2.5 months or so off during the summer is insufficient for traveling? C'mon ... seriously?
Old Oct 26th 2009, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

nooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant futurenooj has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
So 2.5 months or so off during the summer is insufficient for traveling? C'mon ... seriously?
No I don't think it works very well. Summer is not a great time to visit large sections of the world - (Egypt in August not fun.) In other destinations prices are high, places are crowded. And then of course parents are unable to take that much time off work in a big block.

I really think that most parents are fairly responsible about their childrens' education and if they wish and are able to enhance their childrens' lives by spending time with them and exploring and experiencing the world together, then they should not be treated as demons by the school system. The authorities would be better spending time and resources on those with genuine attendance issues.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't think it works very well. Summer is not a great time to visit large sections of the world - (Egypt in August not fun.) In other destinations prices are high, places are crowded. And then of course parents are unable to take that much time off work in a big block.

I really think that most parents are fairly responsible about their childrens' education and if they wish and are able to enhance their childrens' lives by spending time with them and exploring and experiencing the world together, then they should not be treated as demons by the school system. The authorities would be better spending time and resources on those with genuine attendance issues.
I'm not suggesting that parents take off 2.5 months to travel with their kids, rather that 2.5 months is a sufficient block of time for families to be able to travel abroad should they wish.

I was responding to your comment that Americans are insular because they never have the chance to leave the classroom. I found your comments to be over the top and not founded by your arguments. Note that I never said in this thread that parents should be demonized for taking their kids out of school. That being said, I think time away from school should be minimized when possible. Others mentioned tacking a few days or up to a week onto an already established break. That makes a lot of sense.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

rather that 2.5 months is a sufficient block of time for families to be able to travel abroad should they wish.
That does not work for my family (not if we want to travel together as a family) my husbands job only allows him to travel in the winter time. I also have to get special permission to travel anytime between late Nov and early Jan. Planning a vacation can be a bit of a hassle for us.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
That does not work for my family (not if we want to travel together as a family) my husbands job only allows him to travel in the winter time. I also have to get special permission to travel anytime between late Nov and early Jan. Planning a vacation can be a bit of a hassle for us.
Unfortunately there will always be families whose schedules don't align well with those of the schools, no matter what they are.

It does sound like that would be quite a hassle for your family - your husband and your schedules alone are tricky, let alone those of the kids.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Soundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
And of course the UK system is turning out well educated geniuses who've never been further than the town centre on a Friday night
There's a world of alcohol to be discovered!!
Old Oct 26th 2009, 11:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Our school district has a 6 week summer holiday, right over the high season. Not everywhere gives 3 mths or I'd have used that over the years for our travel.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

I'm not suggesting that parents take off 2.5 months to travel with their kids, rather that 2.5 months is a sufficient block of time for families to be able to travel abroad should they wish.

I was responding to your comment that Americans are insular because they never have the chance to leave the classroom. I found your comments to be over the top and not founded by your arguments. Note that I never said in this thread that parents should be demonized for taking their kids out of school. That being said, I think time away from school should be minimized when possible. Others mentioned tacking a few days or up to a week onto an already established break. That makes a lot of sense.
I am sorry that you found that- it was meant to be sympathetic to those parents who expressed frustration and mildly mocking. I leave the construction of a researched and fully argued thesis to those with more time on their hands.

Note I was not suggesting you had at any time now, nor doubtless in the future demonized anyone. I said that many school authorities seek to do so judging from the experiences people had shared.

Perhaps we all need a holiday......
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am sorry that you found that- it was meant to be sympathetic to those parents who expressed frustration and mildly mocking. I leave the construction of a researched and fully argued thesis to those with more time on their hands.

Note I was not suggesting you had at any time now, nor doubtless in the future demonized anyone. I said that many school authorities seek to do so judging from the experiences people had shared.

Perhaps we all need a holiday......
Fair enough.