Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking kids' car seats with us

Taking kids' car seats with us

Old Aug 5th 2015, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking kids' car seats with us

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect that if it came to arguing the matter in court the insurance company would have to prove that the seat was no longer effective, e.g. that the belts were severly worn or damaged, and that the seat merely being more than 1,826 days old would not be sufficient to avoid liability for paying out on an insurance claim.
It is not really a case of the insurance company being liable. They are insuring you as the driver, so the question is are you, the owner/operator, liable. If you are liable, the insurer has to pay out. If you are not liable, the driver of the other vehicle pays out (or the municipality, land owner, etc).
It would be slightly different in a no-fault state, where your insurance would pay out regardless.

The child is an innocent third party, and they'd be covered.

The law doesn't really allow for insurance companies to "get out" of liability claims, particularly for mandatory insurance like Auto. Wordings are set with very few but specific exclusions- such as racing or carrying passengers for hire. Special endorsements/coverage are available for these.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 7:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
It is not really a case of the insurance company being liable. They are insuring you as the driver, so the question is are you, the owner/operator, liable. If you are liable, the insurer has to pay out. If you are not liable, the driver of the other vehicle pays out (or the municipality, land owner, etc).
It would be slightly different in a no-fault state, where your insurance would pay out regardless. ......
I have no doubt you're correct, but you're arguing a different point, I think. ........ Would an insurance company payout on a car insurance policy if a child was injured after being seated in a cardboard box secured to the back seat using duct tape? Or would they say the child suffered his/her injuries because of the inadequacy of the seating arrangements and not pay out?
Old Aug 5th 2015, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have no doubt you're correct, but you're arguing a different point, I think. ........ Would an insurance company payout on a car insurance policy if a child was injured after being seated in a cardboard box secured to the back seat using duct tape? Or would they say the child suffered his/her injuries because of the inadequacy of the seating arrangements and not pay out?
There is no provision, in any auto liability policy, that allows an insurer to avoid claims for this type of incident. As mentioned, this is the same as there is no provision for insurers to avoid claims for driving whilst drunk, exceeding the speed limit, driving with your feet whilst fully reclined, etc etc.
The wording is very clear on the type of events that are excluded- carrying passengers for hire, racing, etc.

Driving a car which has been modified from its original condition is a different matter. This is specifically asked at the time of quoting, so if you tell the insurer there are no modifications, untruthfully, the insurer is entitled to void the policy completely. This is whats called "misrepresentation", and there are provisions in the policy to deal with this.
However, in the event of an accident, the courts would expect the insurer to prove that a) the change in risk contributed to the accident/injury, and b) if they'd known about the change in risk, they would not have accepted the policy.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from the UK and my Diono latch seat worked without issue on a 3 point isofix car in the UK. The system appears to be the same. I am not sure of the weight limits on the isofix system.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

We needed a seat for my last trip, so we bought a US one (partly because of the FAA approved sticker). On returning to the UK we noted that the ONLY difference between the UK and US version of this seat was the FAA approved sticker.

On a slightly comical side note, we transferred via Canada and because of another different set of 'rules' we couldn't use the FAA & UK approved seat on the plane as it wasn't Canadian approved lol
Old Oct 6th 2015, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud
We needed a seat for my last trip, so we bought a US one (partly because of the FAA approved sticker). On returning to the UK we noted that the ONLY difference between the UK and US version of this seat was the FAA approved sticker.

On a slightly comical side note, we transferred via Canada and because of another different set of 'rules' we couldn't use the FAA & UK approved seat on the plane as it wasn't Canadian approved lol
The FAR/AIM states that you can use car seats approved by other civil airline authorities. This is probably also true in Canada, but not everyone knows the rules. I know the Cares harness is only technicaly approved by the FAA
Old Oct 6th 2015, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

Tried that, but the steward looked at me like I had a third nipple growing out of my forehead, so it wasn't worth the hassle. It was only an hour transfer, so my 18mth old had a nice big seat all to himself.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The information to take next time is here http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/...NT_SYSTEMS.pdf . Sometimes its easier to take the paperwork to show the aircraft personnel. It looks like they accept use of the CARES system. I am not usre if that is approved in Europe.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Europe is a whole different game. They don't want seats on planes and would rather you had your screaming, uncontrollably manic child in a lap belt attached to your belt, than have a nice safe secure child seat.

Fortunately, on my next flight, I'll have a toddler and a newborn, so neither will require seats and I can just throw it in the hold (the seats, not the toddler, although...)