Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking kids' car seats with us

Taking kids' car seats with us

Old Jul 17th 2015, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

slices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking kids' car seats with us

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Based on earlier posts by the OP, this is a job/career move, not a family sponsored move.
Presumably aimed at me not the OP. Although given I can't rely on the in-laws for this, its not actually that different. Basically comes down to health issues with them. Yes hiring a car with seats is the other option. Not a fan of driving after a 8 hour flight with little sleep but it may come to that.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Clahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond repute

So we won't bother taking our current car seats, we'll buy new ones over there.
In terms of getting from the airport to our temporary accommodation, I'm thinking there must be airport transfer companies that can supply car seats.
It would be costly but a one off.
It would save us having to drive after a long journey and would be another pair of hands with all the luggage etc.
I'll ask our relocation people if they have companies they recommend.
Thanks for all your replies.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
No, neither are legal in the other country.
Oh. Now you say....

My youngest went all the way through the car-seat stage of her life with a US car seat in a UK car. Must admit until reading this thread I had not given it a second thought...
Old Jul 17th 2015, 6:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
Oh. Now you say....

My youngest went all the way through the car-seat stage of her life with a US car seat in a UK car. Must admit until reading this thread I had not given it a second thought. .....
I suspect most of us survived childhood without a car seat, or even any seatbelts in the back seat, like my first proper car (I had an old banger when I was a student that was totalled after seven weeks ), a Ford Sierra no less. A high school friend of mine bought a car to drive when he was in the sixth form, that didn't have any seatbelts at all - it was an early 60's Morris Minor.

I am all in favour of more safety, but the nuances of difference between US and European child car seats are insignificant compared to actually having a car seat!
Old Aug 5th 2015, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Clahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, now I'm confused again!

A realtor I'm working with sent me this link:

http://www.roselleparknews.org/child-passenger-safety-law-to-change-september-1st

Do I still need to be concerned about how the seats are secured into the car? This article makes no mention of that aspect.

We have 5 point harness seats for our two youngest (aged 10 months and 3 years).

We have a booster with a back for our eldest (aged 5) which we use with the normal seat belt. For his age group, the article says a 5 point harness OR a booster seat??!!

Help! Thanks 😀
Old Aug 5th 2015, 11:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clahal
Ok, now I'm confused again!

A realtor I'm working with sent me this link:

Child Passenger Safety Law To Change September 1st | Roselle Park News

Do I still need to be concerned about how the seats are secured into the car? This article makes no mention of that aspect.

We have 5 point harness seats for our two youngest (aged 10 months and 3 years).

We have a booster with a back for our eldest (aged 5) which we use with the normal seat belt. For his age group, the article says a 5 point harness OR a booster seat??!! ...
Five point seats in the US can either have latches that connect to anchors OR are secured by the seatbelt (through the back, behind the child). A booster seat just lifts the child so they can use the regular car seatbelts.

From the link you posted, childen aged 4-8 can be secured in a five point child seat (secured by anchors on either side and at the top or the seatbelts) OR can be placed in a booster seat, so the adult belts fit the child.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 5th 2015 at 11:23 am.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Five point seats in the US can either have latches that connect to anchors OR are secured by the seatbelt (through the back, behind the child). A booster seat just lifts the child so they can use the regular car seatbelts.

From the link you posted, childen aged 4-8 can be secured in a five point child seat (secured by anchors on either side and at the top or the seatbelts) OR can be placed in a booster seat, so the adult belts fit the child.
So mine should be fine then..to be secured using the seatbelt threaded through?
Thanks
Old Aug 5th 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Clahal
So mine should be fine then..to be secured using the seatbelt threaded through?
Thanks
Sounds like it to me. ...... Confusingly every state sets their own car seat regs, which vary on ages and weight or height cut-offs. Generally the regs only apply to chidren aged up to seven. I.e. end at their eighth birthday, though personally I would recommend still using them if the seat fits the child and vehicle. ..... Little Miss P (8.5) still uses a no-back booster in my truck, but doesn't need one in the Mustang or Accord.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Sounds like it to me. ...... Confusingly every state sets their own car seat regs, which vary on ages and weight or height cut-offs. Generally the regs only apply to chidren aged up to seven. I.e. end at their eighth birthday, though personally I would recommend still using them if the seat fits the child and vehicle. ..... Little Miss P (8.5) still uses a no-back booster in my truck, but doesn't need one in the Mustang or Accord.
Ok, thanks v much!
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
- you get into a crash, the insurance company finds out you were using an illegal seat and invalidates your insurance
I've seen this mentioned in Canada too, but people really need to stop propagating this as it's not true.

You cannot invalidate your insurance for using non-approved car seats, much the same as you cannot invalidate your insurance for driving over the speed limit, driving whilst distracted, etc.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jericho79
I've seen this mentioned in Canada too, but people really need to stop propagating this as it's not true.

You cannot invalidate your insurance for using non-approved car seats, much the same as you cannot invalidate your insurance for driving over the speed limit, driving whilst distracted, etc.
Interesting, thanks for the info 😀
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen anecdotal evidence that insurance companies may not pay up for medical expenses if your child is injured while in a seat that has been in a crash before, is past its expiry date or otherwise non-compliant.

Feel free to test this with your own children.

Also that's a very bad analogy, perhaps you should have mentioned modding your car and not mentioning it to the insurance company.

Last edited by sir_eccles; Aug 5th 2015 at 6:30 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I've seen anecdotal evidence that insurance companies may not pay up for medical expenses if your child is injured while in a seat that has been in a crash before, is past its expiry date or otherwise non-compliant.

Feel free to test this with your own children.

Also that's a very bad analogy, perhaps you should have mentioned modding your car and not mentioning it to the insurance company.
I've worked in the insurance industry for the last 18 years. I have never seen actual or anecdotal (beyond this forum) evidence of it happening.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:46 pm

I've worked in the insurance industry for the last 18 years. I have never seen actual or anecdotal (beyond this forum) evidence of it happening.
I suspect that if it came to arguing the matter in court the insurance company would have to prove that the seat was no longer effective, e.g. that the belts were severly worn or damaged, and that the seat merely being more than 1,826 days old would not be sufficient to avoid liability for paying out on an insurance claim.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:58 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

this is slightly off topic but as someone may search for seatbelt threads i thought id add it here.
we traveled back to the UK last month and hired a car. avis wanted 5GBP a day to rent a simple booster seat. we drove to the nearest asda's and brought a cheap one for 20 GBP. (saving us 60 gbp). we left it in the hire car when we left.

Then when we were waiting for our luggage on the arrival hall on our way back home - i saw two simple backless boosters come round the conveyor belt with labels stuck directly on them. I had not even thought of this. So next time - if we still need a booster I will take one of our own and put it through as luggage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.