Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking food to the States!

Taking food to the States!

Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking food to the States!

Originally Posted by Bob
Ouch, bit of a hike just for some tea.

I'm a bit lucky for tea places, quite a few around so there's good choice. It's just expensive and a lot of it tends to be herbal of green tea.

Surprisingly, found loads of places up around where we lived up in Maine though.
well I am lucky we have one 8 miles away and they have British chocolate and lots of Indian food and is just like the Disneyland of food. You should pay a visit Bob it is the best food store I have found here for everything - wine, cheese, fresh fish anything you want baby.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Cheap, around here is $6 for a 40 count of PG Tips, Tyhoo is about $4 and Yorkshire/Punjabi between the two, depending on finding them in Ocean State/X-Mass Tree or a regular grocery store.

That's not really very cheap considering.
wow you are being ripped off I can start a business here.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:50 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE
Do you guys not just buy the tea here?
I buy loads of tea here, but not American teabags, which I have proved to my own satisfaction contain around half the tea of british teabags. Even the ones that say "British" or "British-style" teabags--just forget it!

Trader Joe Irish teabags are an exception; they are packed full of strong tea. Not the TJ British teabags, the Irish ones in the green box. Not always available but good, and not expensive.

But I always bring a box or two of PG Tips or even Tesco Finest back in my suitcase. I usually remember to write it on the customs form & never had any extra scrutiny over it.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 2:48 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by watchamacallit
The only food you need to dump before entry are meat, fruit or veg. Tea bags, coffee, candy and cookies are allowed.
You can buy PG tips and Tetleys in Hannafords, Price Chopper, Shaws. Stop and Shop and a few other stores anyway.
The trick I have worked out is to get the butcher to vacuum seal the sausages and bacon for you. It mushes up the sausages a lot, but you can always "re-form" them later.
Freeze them solid and then put them into good zip-lock bags.
This helps to keep the sniffer dogs away.

Stuff them then into socks or wrap up in jeans, etc. and pack them into your suitcase. All this extra insulation will keep them from completely defrosting after a long series of flights to the US.

One thing I also make sure to do is pack a load of complicated looking stuff in with them, such as toys for the kids, any stuff you might get like mugs, key chains and other tat which inevitably finds its way into the return luggage. The more the better.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
The trick I have worked out is to get the butcher to vacuum seal the sausages and bacon for you. It mushes up the sausages a lot, but you can always "re-form" them later.
Freeze them solid and then put them into good zip-lock bags.
This helps to keep the sniffer dogs away.

To my surprise, according to the USDA website, its legal to import cooked and uncooked pork from the UK.

Steve
Old Sep 16th 2013, 3:27 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Twinning's English Breakfast is available at any Walmart too.
It doesn't taste remotely like the British stuff though. They change it for the American market, just like Cadbury etc. It's yuk!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 3:28 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE
Do you guys not just buy the tea here?
No, American tea is disgusting.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 3:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
It's not all bad.

It's just the cheap stuff, or anything for the Brit market that tastes pretty dodgy.

They do have some great herbal and green teas and the like.

Lipton, is just a waste though.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 3:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say American tea is OK for what it is, but it is a different product. I wouldn't try putting milk in it and expecting a decent strong cuppa. But standard American tea is OK drunk black.

Tazo Earl Grey is very nice .. Again, I wouldn't put milk in it.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 3:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
It's not all bad.

It's just the cheap stuff, or anything for the Brit market that tastes pretty dodgy.
Why have they ruined Twinings tea so badly here? The Americans I know love proper English tea when they drink it, so they're hardly catering for a market that will only drink Twinings' US variant.

Same with Cadbury; i've yet to meet anyone that thinks Cadbury's US chocolate is anything other than pigswill. Give an English bar to a yank and they love it.

Just makes no sense to me why manufacturers think they need to change an already near perfect product for a market that hasn't asked for the change.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 3:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Why have they ruined Twinings tea so badly here? The Americans I know love proper English tea when they drink it, so they're hardly catering for a market that will only drink Twinings' US variant.

Same with Cadbury; i've yet to meet anyone that thinks Cadbury's US chocolate is anything other than pigswill. Give an English bar to a yank and they love it.

Just makes no sense to me why manufacturers think they need to change an already near perfect product for a market that hasn't asked for the change.
I wouldn't drink Twinings in England either. I've never liked any of their teas.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 3:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234
I wouldn't drink Twinings in England either. I've never liked any of their teas.
I believe Twinings is the most popular tea in England?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Twinings is the most popular tea in England?
More popular than Typhoo or PG Tips?

Don't think so!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Guindalf
More popular than Typhoo or PG Tips?

Don't think so!
As in, the most popular 'up market' tea.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 5:23 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but it's no big deal.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by canarybats
Just wondering whether you should declare teabags as food on the customs form when entering the States? I'm getting conflicting advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.