Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking food to the States!

Taking food to the States!

Old Sep 14th 2013, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

canarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud of
Default Taking food to the States!

Just wondering whether you should declare teabags as food on the customs form when entering the States? I'm getting conflicting advice.

I'm sure that you can buy them out there but I don't drink coffee and am basically addicted to yorkshire gold. It's the only thing that gets me going in the morning!
Old Sep 14th 2013, 10:38 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking food to the States!

Originally Posted by canarybats
Just wondering whether you should declare teabags as food on the customs form when entering the States? I'm getting conflicting advice.

I'm sure that you can buy them out there but I don't drink coffee and am basically addicted to yorkshire gold. It's the only thing that gets me going in the morning!
How many are you planning on smuggling? I doubt customs will worry about a few commercial teabags.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
How many are you planning on smuggling? I doubt customs will worry about a few commercial teabags.
When bringing in teabags and other packaged groceries I've ticked the food box and verbally described what I'm carrying when asked by the primary inspector. One time only I got sent to secondary customs and the indpector looked into my bag of goodies and sent me on my way.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never declared tea bags but written it down on the green customs form. Never had any problems, just sarky remarks about bringing tea in Boston!
Old Sep 14th 2013, 12:25 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Yorkshire Gold is very widely available in supermarkets here, at a very reasonable price too.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

That's true, as are pg tips my personal favorite. I do find tea to be expensive here though so I buy in bulk when I'm over. There's a new pg tips variety called builders tea that isn't available here yet.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 12:37 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Twinning's English Breakfast is available at any Walmart too.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 1:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
That's true, as are pg tips my personal favorite. I do find tea to be expensive here though so I buy in bulk when I'm over. There's a new pg tips variety called builders tea that isn't available here yet.
When I go to England I bring back loose tea, since that is harder to buy here than tea bags. My favourite at the moment is Lyons Red Label.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

The only food you need to dump before entry are meat, fruit or veg. Tea bags, coffee, candy and cookies are allowed.
You can buy PG tips and Tetleys in Hannafords, Price Chopper, Shaws. Stop and Shop and a few other stores anyway.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
When I go to England I bring back loose tea, since that is harder to buy here than tea bags. My favourite at the moment is Lyons Red Label.
That's true unless you find a boutique type of tea shop. There's a lovely and quite substantial one in Maine called Mcnabbs tea room.
I'll have to try that Lyons one.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

canarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear that yorkshire gold is available in supermarkets but I'm still going to bring some over as I can't be without my brew!! When I visited Portland the only tea that they served in the coffee shops was the fancy stuff in the plasticy bags. Supposed to be better for you but I prefer that paper taste!
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:39 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear that yorkshire gold is available in supermarkets but I'm still going to bring some over as I can't be without my brew!! When I visited Portland the only tea that they served in the coffee shops was the fancy stuff in the plasticy bags. Supposed to be better for you but I prefer that paper taste!
Yorkshire tea had a major advertising campaign here in the UK, showing how they were taking Yorkshire tea to the US.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Most products sold in jars/non-perishable packages are fine. It's fresh, frozen or chilled meats and fruit/veggies they're more concerned with.

Yorkshire Gold is available from Amazon anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...shire+gold+tea
Old Sep 14th 2013, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Crikey!!!! $12.63 for 160 bags!!! That's crazy prices isn't it. I'm sure that 160 only costs me about £2.50.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 6:59 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

My husband brought me LOADS of Punjana (it was most of his carry-on) and they said nothing. I breeze through Customs when I check "yes" to food and then put what it is just beside that (for example "tea, cookies, candy, wine"). Tea isn't a problem. Once when coming home from Germany I didn't realize I shouldn't have brought home a sausage gift, but since I had actually written it on the customs form there was no assumption that I was trying to smuggle it.

We get Yorkshire Gold, PG Tips, Barry's, a lot of Indian teas that are very good indeed, and a truly silly range of supermarket stuff pretending to be upscale. Drugstore.com sells Punjana and you can of course order it from the firm themselves.

Last edited by Speedwell; Sep 14th 2013 at 7:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.