Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking Electronics/Electrical equipment from the UK to Chicago

Taking Electronics/Electrical equipment from the UK to Chicago

Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

jennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nice
Default Taking Electronics/Electrical equipment from the UK to Chicago

Hi Im wondering when we relocate what we should take with us? Ive got 4 computers will they successfully work? I know I have to leave our flat screen tvs cos they are on PAL. Wheres good to purchase a new flat screen tv when we get there?

Thanks!
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Electronics/Electrical equipment from the UK to Chicago

Originally Posted by jennygill
? Ive got 4 computers will they successfully work?

Thanks!
You may be lucky and already have a switchable power supply unit on the PC. If not you will be able to buy a new power unit in the states and have it fitted or fit it yourself.

Check ebay for prices if you are going to do the job yourself.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

In chicago... there are LOTS of cheap places for flatscreens... the cheapest I know of right now is Tigerdirect (warehouse in Naperville)... they have a 42inch LCD for $799 (sickeningly cheap).

there is a Fry's Electronics in Downers Grove too. If you've not experienced a fry's before then you should go make an afternoon of it, the place enormous and sells just about everything electronic you might want.

where in chicago you heading to?
Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
In chicago... there are LOTS of cheap places for flatscreens... the cheapest I know of right now is Tigerdirect (warehouse in Naperville)... they have a 42inch LCD for $799 (sickeningly cheap).

there is a Fry's Electronics in Downers Grove too. If you've not experienced a fry's before then you should go make an afternoon of it, the place enormous and sells just about everything electronic you might want.

Fellow Chicagoans unite

Tigerdirect is good - if you go pick things up. Their shipping is horrid.

Not sure about flatscreens, but I've gotten some stuff through Amazon.com - in particular one outfit in New York had quite good prices (struggling to remember the name..)
Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

jennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nicejennygill is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tracym
Fellow Chicagoans unite

Tigerdirect is good - if you go pick things up. Their shipping is horrid.

Not sure about flatscreens, but I've gotten some stuff through Amazon.com - in particular one outfit in New York had quite good prices (struggling to remember the name..)
thanks thats very interesting.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by USBound

Chesterton, Valparaiso area hopefully.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:22 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Many flatscreen / LCDs can handle both NTSC and PAL. You might want to check.

But that said, you can probably sell what you have over there and buy new stuff here in the states for a bit cheaper. Frys will blow your mind, and you might get some newer tech for a good price, especially if you ebay the things back home.

One note: I have a flatscreen from Hong Kong. One thing annoying about a non-US flatscreen was that it didn't support US closed captions (which are nice to have when you have to mute the TV for a phone call or some other reason, or if you can't understand US accents). Not sure how most UK flatscreens are when it comes to CC.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

ahh that would put you in IN not IL... probably talking a 140Mile round trip to either fry's or Tiger direct....
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:30 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

look at the back of your pc. If you can locate the backplate of the power supply - it will indicate whether it will accept dual input by saying something like 110 - 240. If it does say that - then all you need do is switch the plugs over to american ones when you get here. (thats all we had to do - bought some very fetching orange and green plugs from home depot).

Bear in mind though - that the screens and other peripherals like printers etc - that all plug into the mains directly will also need to be checked as THEY may not work. Our screens were okay but our printer and speakers were not dual voltage. What we eneded up doing is buying an electrical gadget that up converts the 110 to 240. We plug the device in the US wall socket - and then take the uk output socket and feed it into an 8 way UK plug strip. Then we can power all the bits and pieces off the one uk socket strip.

if you do the last bit - then remember to buy the gadet in the uk and bring across a susitable socket strip.

Last edited by MsElui; Feb 13th 2008 at 1:32 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:29 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Soooo not in Chicago
Good luck with the move
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:35 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, you are a hike from Chicago and Frys out in Downers Grove, however, about a week or two into your arrival, I still would recommend a trip to Frys to get everything from electric tin openers to TVs to solar heating panels or whatever. It really is a wild store (geek paradise). You can one stop shop for pretty much all your technology needs there.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

do a search...and read the wiki...many a thread on the subject....
Old Feb 15th 2008, 12:43 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Yea, you are a hike from Chicago and Frys out in Downers Grove, however, about a week or two into your arrival, I still would recommend a trip to Frys to get everything from electric tin openers to TVs to solar heating panels or whatever. It really is a wild store (geek paradise). You can one stop shop for pretty much all your technology needs there.
As I actually AM heading to Chicagoland in 2 weeks, and may check it out, I was just wondering what their customer service is like? I am great at buying stuff, but rubbish at choosing the best things and rubbish at knowing how to get them all working.. experiences welcome..
Old Feb 15th 2008, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lj2
As I actually AM heading to Chicagoland in 2 weeks, and may check it out, I was just wondering what their customer service is like? I am great at buying stuff, but rubbish at choosing the best things and rubbish at knowing how to get them all working.. experiences welcome..

Hi do you mind staying in touch with me and lettiing me know what you buy and where from etc etc
Old Feb 15th 2008, 1:04 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Not at all - PM'd you my email address.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.