British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   taking electrical and electronic goods in the uSA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/taking-electrical-electronic-goods-usa-940841/)

scrubbedexpat085 Sep 26th 2021 1:45 am

taking electrical and electronic goods in the uSA

Hi all i had previously left all the needed information on taking electrical items to the US and after 25 years it has gone probably faded away.
anyway if you are moving to the USA and want to take these with you first off kettles and washing machines and a like will work all you need is to make sure that your new home has 220 in the various places like the kitchen bathrooms and so on all you will need to do is either change the plugs and rewire them or as i did i took a bunch of British outlets and plugs an ran 220 to where i needed it then installed the British ones.
using the American colour codes black=Live white+neutral and green=earth or ground and t is worth noting the 220 is derived from the transformer on the pole it has a split or center tapped output meaning if you connect to the out 2 wires its 220 or if you use 1 outer and the center you get 110 some electronic equipment is now able to go multi voltage without any conversion except maybe a plug adapter.
as for anything with a timer or clock like an alarm clock it will most likely gain time at an extraordinary rate because of the different mains frequency IE UK 50 HERTZ and the American 60 HERTZ so that means an extra 10 pulses per second but it would be worth checking to if the item would have a clock circuit built and does not need the mains pulses for time keeping. hope this helps some one.

Mercury39 Sep 27th 2021 12:18 pm

Re: taking electrical and electronic goods in the uSA

"British outlets and plugs an ran 220 to where i needed it then installed the British ones." - this would not meet code.

scrubbedexpat085 Sep 27th 2021 1:18 pm

if you use the approved American wiring then it will meet or exceed code as it is like using an adapter but there is not a problem just running a 220 to where it is needed the make a lead with an American plug at 1 end and a British socket at the other and you are safer because you now have a fuse to protect you something the American system does not have as you rely on the fuse in the distribution panel to protect you.

Glasgow Girl Sep 27th 2021 2:52 pm

In reality why go to all that bother. The cost of shipping is almost the same as buying brand new when you get here. Any you do not have all the hassle that goes with shipping and adapting for the US system.

excpomea Sep 27th 2021 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl (Post 13056207)
In reality why go to all that bother. The cost of shipping is almost the same as buying brand new when you get here. Any you do not have all the hassle that goes with shipping and adapting for the US system.

Absolutely, Sell the UK appliances / electrical equipment unless it specifically states will run on 110v 60 Hz

neill Sep 28th 2021 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by wookie (Post 13055683)
Hi all i had previously left all the needed information on taking electrical items to the US and after 25 years it has gone probably faded away.
anyway if you are moving to the USA and want to take these with you first off kettles and washing machines and a like will work all you need is to make sure that your new home has 220 in the various places like the kitchen bathrooms and so on all you will need to do is either change the plugs and rewire them or as i did i took a bunch of British outlets and plugs an ran 220 to where i needed it then installed the British ones.
using the American colour codes black=Live white+neutral and green=earth or ground and t is worth noting the 220 is derived from the transformer on the pole it has a split or center tapped output meaning if you connect to the out 2 wires its 220 or if you use 1 outer and the center you get 110 some electronic equipment is now able to go multi voltage without any conversion except maybe a plug adapter.
as for anything with a timer or clock like an alarm clock it will most likely gain time at an extraordinary rate because of the different mains frequency IE UK 50 HERTZ and the American 60 HERTZ so that means an extra 10 pulses per second but it would be worth checking to if the item would have a clock circuit built and does not need the mains pulses for time keeping. hope this helps some one.

Yes you can do this, yes I've done it, but I don't think we should be advertising this on the forum as a general tip. For one, if there's a house fire and the insurance adjuster sees irregular (non-US code certified devices) hard-wired into the house, they can forget any insurance claim. All the stuff you describe above is a CODE VIOLATION (there is no such thing as exceeding code in this sense) and AT YOUR OWN RISK!

MidAtlantic Sep 28th 2021 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by neill (Post 13056615)
Yes you can do this, yes I've done it, but I don't think we should be advertising this on the forum as a general tip. For one, if there's a house fire and the insurance adjuster sees irregular (non-US code certified devices) hard-wired into the house, they can forget any insurance claim. All the stuff you describe above is a CODE VIOLATION (there is no such thing as exceeding code in this sense) and AT YOUR OWN RISK!

:goodpost:

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 28th 2021 4:16 pm

220v in a bathroom? Not come across that.

And as has been said would not pass inspection.

tom169 Sep 28th 2021 4:34 pm

Not sure what the obsession is with kettles. I get hot enough water fast from the Keurig.

Winston_the_Great_Dane Sep 28th 2021 5:31 pm

I cannot think of a single good reason why i would do anything recommended by OP. My US washer/dryer are bigger, far superior, under warranty and complies with code. My US kettle works just fine. My UK-bought TV runs both 110 and 240 50/60 Hz and works perfectly in both countries (it's an LG if anyone is interested). The only things i was disappointed to leave in UK were my Nespresso and my Denon amp (I have replacements now). not worth the agro/cost risk

Former Lancastrian Sep 28th 2021 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 13056647)
Not sure what the obsession is with kettles. I get hot enough water fast from the Keurig.

My experience is that the Hamilton Beach Flex Brew has hotter water than a Keurig :p

scrubbedexpat085 Sep 29th 2021 3:35 pm

your already going to the bother of moving halfway around the world. many people have items in good working order so apart from changing a plug which most people seem to be capable of there is not a problem and it costs less than you might think to take these item with against the cost of purchasing new.

scrubbedexpat085 Sep 29th 2021 3:40 pm

i have lived in several states and the code officers say that as long as it is safe it is OK and they agree the British wiring complete with the fuse n the plug exceeds the code.

scrubbedexpat085 Sep 29th 2021 3:42 pm

220 in a bathroom is perfectly acceptable and safe as there are many bathrooms that have 220 window AC units in them

scrubbedexpat085 Sep 29th 2021 3:44 pm

kurigs do not boil water to the same temperature as a kettle.