Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking dogs to the US

Taking dogs to the US

Old Apr 17th 2002, 12:10 pm
Ljk

Default Taking dogs to the US

Has anyone been through the procedure to take a dog to the US? I would like to take
my dog with me once my K1 visa is approved and we move to the US. Any links to
information regarding this would be very much appreciated. Thanks Lorna

Rick

Default Re: Taking dogs to the US

Just two weeks ago I brought my fiancee's dog back with me to the US from the UK. It
was really easy - except the kennel we had was too small. They want to see a full 6-8
inches above the dogs head when he/she is standing in the kennel. This required an
extra extra large kennel for our dog, and he only weighs about 60 lbs! Evidently the
airlines have gotten more strict because many have lost their capability to transport
animals. Check with your airling. I know that American Airlines will not transport
them between May and October due to the heat. Some airlines do not do it at all. We
paid $110 for the kennel, as oversized checked baggage. The killer was purchasing the
new extra extra large kennel at the airport ($275 at London Gatwick) so make sure you
get one ahead of time - and check in plenty early. Let the airline know you are
traveling with a dog - and don't be shy about having a flight attendant check that
your dog has been loaded once you are on the plane.

Good luck! Rick

"LJK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone been through the procedure to take a dog to the US? I would like to take
    > my dog with me once my K1 visa is approved and we
move
    > to the US. Any links to information regarding this would be very much appreciated.
    > Thanks Lorna

Jason Henry Par

"Rick" <[email protected]> writes:

> Let the airline know you are traveling with a dog - and don't be shy about having a
    > flight attendant check that your dog has been loaded once you are on the plane.

Oh dear. This left me with the image of someone's pup slowly getting drunk as flight
attendants come and serve free booze.

jason, with a darling black lab sitting behind himTESTI think his owner might object
if he came with me!
--
    ||TEST-|TEST|TESTTESTTESTTEST|--|TESTTEST-|TESTTEST|TESTTESTTEST--|-#TEST|-|--|TESTT-
    |EST|| `I think the environment without razorwire will [email protected] | have much
    |more amenity associated with it.' -- Phillip Ruddock |

Old Apr 17th 2002, 5:40 pm
Di

"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] r.com>...
    > Just two weeks ago I brought my fiancee's dog back with me to the US from the UK.
    > It was really easy - except the kennel we had was too small. They want to see a
    > full 6-8 inches above the dogs head when he/she is standing in the kennel. This
    > required an extra extra large kennel for our dog, and he only weighs about 60 lbs!
    > Evidently the airlines have gotten more strict because many have lost their
    > capability to transport animals. Check with your airling. I know that American
    > Airlines will not transport them between May and October due to the heat. Some
    > airlines do not do it at all. We paid $110 for the kennel, as oversized checked
    > baggage. The killer was purchasing the new extra extra large kennel at the airport
    > ($275 at London Gatwick) so make sure you get one ahead of time - and check in
    > plenty early. Let the airline know you are traveling with a dog - and don't be shy
    > about having a flight attendant check that your dog has been loaded once you are on
    > the plane.
    >
    > Good luck! Rick
    >
Hi, My dog barely made the 12 hr flight. How can flight attendants check if the dog
is on board. Does anyone have access to the animals during the flight. My dog is
very old and I am dreading our flight back.

> "LJK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Has anyone been through the procedure to take a dog to the US? I would like to
    > > take my dog with me once my K1 visa is approved and we
    > move
    > > to the US. Any links to information regarding this would be very much
    > > appreciated. Thanks Lorna
    > >

Old Apr 17th 2002, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

ralph is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess they dont require a K9 to enter the US :-)

Originally posted by Ljk
Has anyone been through the procedure to take a dog to the US? I would like to take my dog with me once my K1 visa is approved and we move to the US. Any links to information regarding this would be very much appreciated. Thanks Lorna
Old Apr 18th 2002, 4:10 am
Riri

Default Re: Taking dogs to the US (the link)

http://www.customs.gov/travel/pet.htm#catsndogs

"LJK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone been through the procedure to take a dog to the US? I would like to take
    > my dog with me once my K1 visa is approved and we
move
    > to the US. Any links to information regarding this would be very much appreciated.
    > Thanks Lorna

Old Apr 18th 2002, 9:10 am
Swoosh

I have taken my cat to the US before. I showed his vaccination record at the port of
entry and they let me through no problem. They will only exam or even quarantine your
animal if it shows obvious signs of being sick, not sick from the plane ride but
infections, virus and stuff like that =).

Air Canada has a lot of information about transporting your pet but all the
airlines usually have at least a small section dealing with the issue on their
webpage. You will also be able to find airline specific requirements, fees etc. Let
them know early that you are planing on taking a pet with you since there is only
limited space.

http://www.aircanada.ca/services/luggage/pets.html

Oh and since someone asked, Air Canada for instance claims that they will give water
to your pet before, between or after the flight if there is an extended wait.
Perhaps, if you are really concerned about your pet you could ask the flight
attentand to check on him/her, since that seems to be possible.

Just a word of caution coming from my own experience, make sure you have a kennel or
carrier that shuts properly. My cat escaped on his way from the plane back to the
airport. Somehow his carrier door opened when it was being handled. You are not
suppose to put a lock on it because I guess they want to be able to rescue your pet
in case of an emergency but maybe some kind of belt around the carrier would have
prevented him from getting out. Fortunately, I was able to find him deep in the
bowels of Munich airport. The workers there were very helpful and even disassembled
this ancient luggage carrier thing so that I could pull him out from underneath. He
was a bit dirty and scared but otherwise fine. I got him a bigger and hopefully
escape proof carrier for his K1 trip back to the US this summer =).

Jeannine, easily amused and still chuckling about the k9 remark

ralph <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Ljk wrote:
    > > Has anyone been through the procedure to take a dog to the US? I would like to
    > > take my dog with me once my K1 visa is approved and we move to the US. Any
    > > links to information regarding this would be very much appreciated. Thanks
    > > Lorna
    >
    > I guess they dont require a K9 to enter the US

Old Apr 18th 2002, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

smartiegirl88 is on a distinguished road

My husband works for delta air cargo in Charleston SC and they ship animals all the time. They stop shipping animals in about May though because of the heat. If you are checking your dog as carry-on and it's a tiny dog, then you will be able to take it onto the plane (I mean really tiny dog). If not, it'll be put onto the plane in one of the baggage holds which means there is no way a flight attendant can check on your dog mid-flight.
Old Apr 18th 2002, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Richard1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it just me or is it not rally cruel to put a dog through an at least 8 hour flight? How scared must they be in the back there with all the sounds of the engines throughout the flight? I guess if they did have a water bowl in their cage it would all be spilled on take off, so no water for the next 7 hours and 55 minutes and still no one can check on them?

Concered dog lover.

Rich
Old Apr 19th 2002, 12:10 am
Xtrynytix

I'm afraid I have to agree with you there. But if you can't bear to be parted from
your pet, what is the alternative?

Thankfully, I didn't have to cope with that. But I do agree unless they are sedated
or something, they must really be upset by the whole thing.

(

Old Apr 20th 2002, 12:10 pm
Ljk

Hi Richard I agree its distressing but i wouldnt say cruel. No more cruel than is the
procedure of obtaining a visa and travelling to the US myself with my children. I
want my family complete and that includes my dog. This is somthing we will all have
to recover from and when we do, we will all be together. "Richard1972"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is it just me or is it not rally cruel to put a dog through an at least 8 hour
    > flight? How scared must they be in the back there with all the sounds of the
    > engines throughout the flight? I guess if they did have a water bowl in their cage
    > it would all be spilled on take off, so no water for the next 7 hours and 55
    > minutes and still no one can check on them?
    >
    > Concered dog lover.
    >
    > Rich
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com