Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking dogs on Queen Mary 2.Southampton- NYC

Taking dogs on Queen Mary 2.Southampton- NYC

Old Mar 1st 2015, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Deejames is on a distinguished road
Default Taking dogs on Queen Mary 2.Southampton- NYC

So, we are leaving the UK at the end of 2015 and have been really worrying about the prospect of flying our 3 little dachshunds out.
We've been researching going by the QM 2 as they have kennels, but not many, on board.
I've spoken to Cunard today, and the price is really good for us to go out that way, but it all depends on wether they have space in the kernels. She couldn't tell me and gave me a number and email for the kennel dept. The number has been inaccessible and I'm waiting on a reply to my email. I'm praying they have space!!
My question is, have any of you had experience of travelling this way.
Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 4:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking dogs on Queen Mary 2.Southampton- NYC

A number of people have reported their, and their dogs' experiences. Try searching (use Advanced Search) the Moving Back to the UK forum. ..... I know that Britwhore has posted on the subject.

From what I recall reading the kennels are booked up a long way in advance, IIRC more than a year ahead, but with such a very long lead time you can imagine there are movements on the waiting list.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 1st 2015 at 4:13 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks Pulaski.
I have done that, and now found some very helpful threads.
I'm now fearing we may be out of luck :-( it seems they do get booked up very early in advance,
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

OCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond reputeOCKF has a reputation beyond repute

They do get cancellations so make sure you put your name down and keep your fingers crossed!!!
Originally Posted by Deejames
Many thanks Pulaski.
I have done that, and now found some very helpful threads.
I'm now fearing we may be out of luck :-( it seems they do get booked up very early in advance,
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

I've spent a very frustrating day on the phone today between Cunard departments in the UK and the US.
Both seem to have very different ways of doing things? The UK side won't let you book a cabin if you need kennels and there's no availability in the kennels, they don't recognise the wait list, whereas the US side do put you on a wait list?
I've had so much help from the US side and found out, as we all expected, the crossings for Oct, Nov,Dec 2015 and shockingly, May 2106 are fully booked with waiting lists :-(
Oct has 7 on the list, Nov has 4 and Dec had 1 on the list. May 2016 already has 3 on the waiting list!!
We have now booked on the December crossing, not what we really wanted, as it docks in NYC on 22/12, and we have to drive to Florida........ But with only 1 ahead us on the list, it was the only option.Guess we'll be spending our first Xmas on the road :-) weather depending!
We now have to hope and pray that 3 kennels become available...... 1 for the person ahead of us, and 2 for our 3 dogs, as they will fit in 2 kennels....... Long shot!
Or we wait until the next batch of sailings for June 2016 onwards are released and hopefully get in there first?? Cancel / transfer our booking and go later than planned?? Either way, I'm sure we'll get there.......in what state, who knows ;-)