Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taking Dogs home?

Taking Dogs home?

Old Nov 6th 2006, 3:18 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 235
bettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking Dogs home?

It looks like i may be moving home sooner than expected and alone.
I am taking my dog with me and he has very bad seperation anxiety and I honestly dont know if he would survive the flight locked in the hold. I checked the website about how to take dogs to the UK without quarantine and it says you can take them on the QE2...if i do this, does anyone know if he gets to stay with me or will he still be packed away somewhere?
bettyboop80 is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2006, 3:22 pm
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,149
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Dogs home?

Originally Posted by bettyboop80
It looks like i may be moving home sooner than expected and alone.
I am taking my dog with me and he has very bad seperation anxiety and I honestly dont know if he would survive the flight locked in the hold. I checked the website about how to take dogs to the UK without quarantine and it says you can take them on the QE2...if i do this, does anyone know if he gets to stay with me or will he still be packed away somewhere?

I assume you mean the QM2. He will be in the kennels on board...I believe you can go to visit him during the journey.

Have you used the search facility above? I can't remember the name but someone took their dog back to the UK on the QM2 earlier this year. Try starting a similar thread in the UK forum.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 6th 2006 at 3:25 pm.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:13 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 235
bettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Dogs home?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I assume you mean the QM2. He will be in the kennels on board...I believe you can go to visit him during the journey.

Have you used the search facility above? I can't remember the name but someone took their dog back to the UK on the QM2 earlier this year. Try starting a similar thread in the UK forum.
Thanks jerseygirl...did a search and got a lot of good information. I guess i need to get moving, I didnt realise i had to wait 6 months before he could travel.
bettyboop80 is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:29 pm
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,149
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Dogs home?

Originally Posted by bettyboop80
Thanks jerseygirl...did a search and got a lot of good information. I guess i need to get moving, I didnt realise i had to wait 6 months before he could travel.

How big is your dog? If it's small you may be able to fly to Europe with it in the cabin. About 12 yrs ago we flew Air France from Paris to Chicago...a woman took her dog on board...on a leash! Not sure how you would go about getting your dog into the UK from there...you would need a Euro Pet Passport.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:50 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 235
bettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Dogs home?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How big is your dog? If it's small you may be able to fly to Europe with it in the cabin. About 12 yrs ago we flew Air France from Paris to Chicago...a woman took her dog on board...on a leash! Not sure how you would go about getting your dog into the UK from there...you would need a Euro Pet Passport.
hes about 30 pounds. Do you think thats too big? I will look into that though, thanks
bettyboop80 is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:02 pm
  #6  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,149
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Dogs home?

Originally Posted by bettyboop80
hes about 30 pounds. Do you think thats too big? I will look into that though, thanks
Yes...it's normally 10lbs max. I'm afraid you'll either have to put him in the hold of a plane or in kennels on the QM2. If you fly back with your dog it has to be a designated airline and route...you may not be able to transport him to the UK from your nearest airport.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:43 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 1,834
Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Dogs home?

a friend is doing this with his cat at the moment - you will need to get injections and certifications before you travel to avoid quarantine - but these normally need to be done 6 months before you travel - depends on what you have already had done. Going on QM2 won't avoid quarantine if you dont have the paperwork. (although if you find out it does please let me know! )

PS - The Defra website has the details but apparently can be a bit of a maze!
Big D is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:46 pm
  #8  
my arm aches
 
ladyofthelake's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: the warm waters of Florida
Posts: 2,289
ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Dogs home?

I think Dunroving has posted before that they won't allow a dog on the ship unless they have done their six months beforehand. His dog was going to reach the six month deadline whilst still on the ship and before reaching UK soil, but they said they wouldn't allow the dog on.
ladyofthelake is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:50 pm
  #9  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,149
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Dogs home?

Originally Posted by Big D
a friend is doing this with his cat at the moment - you will need to get injections and certifications before you travel to avoid quarantine - but these normally need to be done 6 months before you travel - depends on what you have already had done. Going on QM2 won't avoid quarantine if you dont have the paperwork. (although if you find out it does please let me know!
You cannot take a dog or cat legally into the UK without the relevant blood tests, check ups etc. and paperwork as set out by DEFRA. They must also travel to the UK on an approved route by an approved carrier. Failure to do so would result in the animal being quarantined for 6 months.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 6th 2006 at 5:57 pm.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2006, 7:55 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 1,834
Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Dogs home?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You cannot take a dog or cat legally into the UK without the relevant blood tests, check ups etc. and paperwork as set out by DEFRA. They must also travel to the UK on an approved route by an approved carrier. Failure to do so would result in the animal being quarantined for 6 months.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

Exactly - so going on the boat doesnt circumvent any of these requirements, so not really any point for the OP
Big D is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2006, 7:58 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 235
bettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond reputebettyboop80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Dogs home?

Originally Posted by Big D
Exactly - so going on the boat doesnt circumvent any of these requirements, so not really any point for the OP
It means my dog wont be in a crate in the hold of a plane and scared out of his mind.
He was abused before I got him and cannot stand any type of confinement so combining him in a crate and then in the hold of the plane where he will be away from people and with all that noise, I am afraid it will kill him.
bettyboop80 is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:11 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 1,834
Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Dogs home?

Originally Posted by bettyboop80
It means my dog wont be in a crate in the hold of a plane and scared out of his mind.
He was abused before I got him and cannot stand any type of confinement so combining him in a crate and then in the hold of the plane where he will be away from people and with all that noise, I am afraid it will kill him.

thats a good point - not easy on any animal in the hold - maybe sedation if there was no alternative? Hopefully the kennels on ships are more accomodating - good luck i know its not easy
Big D is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:13 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 1,834
Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Dogs home?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...d/4202507.html

sounds great!
Big D is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:45 pm
  #14  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 82,149
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Dogs home?

Originally Posted by Big D
thats a good point - not easy on any animal in the hold - maybe sedation if there was no alternative? Hopefully the kennels on ships are more accomodating - good luck i know its not easy
A vet would have to accompany the animal for it to be sedated for the amount of time involved.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2006, 10:08 pm
  #15  
my arm aches
 
ladyofthelake's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: the warm waters of Florida
Posts: 2,289
ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Dogs home?

Originally Posted by bettyboop80
It means my dog wont be in a crate in the hold of a plane and scared out of his mind.
He was abused before I got him and cannot stand any type of confinement so combining him in a crate and then in the hold of the plane where he will be away from people and with all that noise, I am afraid it will kill him.
As I said before, it's not going to happen, looking at previous posters experiences with the QM2 http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...55&postcount=2

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=10

They won't accept a dog unless they are 6 months past the blood test.
ladyofthelake is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.