British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   taking dog to china (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/taking-dog-china-635988/)

helmet Oct 16th 2009 4:35 am

taking dog to china

i am here on a h1b but my boss may be sending me to china for several months on a job i was thinking of taking the pooch has anyone taken a dog to china and then brought it back ? is it something you can do on your own or is it best to use an agency . any answer sor suggestions welcome.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 16th 2009 5:37 am

Re: taking dog to china

I was so tempted...

But to be fair that would be more appropriate for Korea.

ian-mstm Oct 16th 2009 7:29 am

Originally Posted by helmet (Post 8020573)
i was thinking of taking the pooch...

Do the dog a favor... get a pet sitter.

Ian

hobbes79 Oct 16th 2009 1:10 pm

Remember, a dog is not just for Christmas.

Save some for sandwiches on boxing day.

ian-mstm Oct 16th 2009 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 8021384)
Remember, a dog is not just for Christmas.

At least Boiler didn't actually come out and say it. Your comment is disgusting - even as a joke.

Ian

hobbes79 Oct 16th 2009 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8021416)
At least Boiler didn't actually come out and say it. Your comment is disgusting - even as a joke.

Ian

Lighten up... that joke is older than I am

Michelmas Oct 16th 2009 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8020772)
Do the dog a favor... get a pet sitter.

Ian

I'm with Ian. Having done the flight several times myself, it was hell. I would hate to have to put a dog through that.

Get a friend to take care of it for you if you can, or place it with a respectable boarder.

Jerseygirl Oct 16th 2009 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Michelmas (Post 8021908)
I'm with Ian. Having done the flight several times myself, it was hell. I would hate to have to put a dog through that.

Get a friend to take care of it for you if you can, or place it with a respectable boarder.

Somehow I don't think it was the flight he was worried about.

Michelmas Oct 16th 2009 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8021914)
Somehow I don't think it was the flight he was worried about.

I agree and understand, but that flight [up to 12 hours or more ON the plane] would just be the start of all round badness.

jackattack Oct 20th 2009 7:54 pm

i am here on a h1b but my boss may be sending me to china for several months on a job i was thinking of taking the pooch has anyone taken a dog to china and then brought it back ? is it something you can do on your own or is it best to use an agency . any answer sor suggestions welcome.

I was in a similar situation last year when my employer sent us to China. We have a pooch here but didn't consider taking him with us; we ended up leaving him with relatives here (where he got completely spoiled). I never saw dog on any menus while out there but I did hear that the authorities made sure they were removed because of the Olympics. They do eat dog so you'd better keep a good eye on him!

Our dog is a lab, and we moved to Beijing. They don't allow big dogs to live in the center of Beijing; you won't be able to get a permit for them. You only see small, drop-kick dogs in the city.
That being said, lots of the expat families living on the outskirts of Beijing (meaning a one hour or more commute) bring their entire pet families with them.

Honestly, if you're only going for a few months, I'd leave your pet here.

jody xiao Oct 21st 2009 2:49 am

Hi
This is Jody from China.
Here is my answer to your question:

Chinese law allows foreigners to bring pet entry. Foreigners out of Chinese territory, can carry Pets as carry-on baggage. Foreigners bring pets into the Chinese territory, should immediately bring pets to the Beijing Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Office of the Capital Airport inspection.

During the Inspection, you will need to provide the following documents: (1)a valid rabies vaccination certificate issued by your official government(According to Chinese law: rabies vaccine is valid for one year from the date of registration, and must be done within 30 days of departing your country) ; (2) an official Pet health certificate; (3) the personal identity documents and a valid passport issued by Chinese authorities; (4) truthfully fill in the "Inspection Record."

When leaving the country, you should bring the Pets to the Beijing Capital International Airport Inspection and Quarantine Bureau for inspection in advance of 7 days. You need to prepare all the necessary as the following documents: (1) the recent valid rabies vaccination certificate or proof (Have to go to district-level animal veterinary stations or designated Pet Hospital, rabies vaccination injection must be done within 30 days of departure); (2) The original health certificate of the pet; (3) the personal identity documents and a valid passport issued by Chinese authorities; (4) truthfully fill in the "Inspection Record". After passing through the testing, your pet will get the "animal health certificate."

During the Olympics, allow one person with a pet, pet is limited to cats and dogs.

Hope my answer helps to you.

Good day

Kaffy Mintcake Oct 21st 2009 2:57 am

My only basis for comparison is a former client of mine who brought cats to Thailand. The flight nearly killed them. I'm with the others and would not recommend it.

ian-mstm Oct 21st 2009 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by jody xiao (Post 8032383)
(3) the personal identity documents and a valid passport issued by Chinese authorities;

Thank you for the information. How does a foreigner get a valid passport issued by Chinese authorities?

Ian

hobbes79 Oct 21st 2009 2:27 pm

OT, but reminds me talking about Chinese passports...

I worked with an American that lived in China with his Chinese wife and a child of the wife, from a previous marriage. The wife got pregnant with her SECOND child, a little girl, which of course is not permitted in China.

To skate around the rule, they claimed US citizenship for the child (as they were perfectly entitled to do so) and not Chinese citizenship.

When the baby was about 6-months old, they were moving to Singapore, sold everything they owned and went to leave the country.

One problem... the baby didn't have a visa for China in the US passport. And this is checked as you LEAVE the country.

So the authorities said the baby couldn't leave until this was straightened out, to which my colleague replied "fine, keep her!".

The auhorities were somewhat surprised by this response. He went to explain his plane was booked, he no longer has anywhere to stay in China... and technically he and the remainder of his family were permitted to leave. So, your move My Chinese Immigration officer!!??

The authorities decided they didn't particulalry want to look after a 6-month old and let them go :cool:

meauxna Oct 21st 2009 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 8033615)
So, your move My Chinese Immigration officer!!??

The authorities decided they didn't particulalry want to look after a 6-month old and let them go :cool:

:thumbsup: I love it!
Why don't I ever think of good comebacks like that.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8033524)
Thank you for the information. How does a foreigner get a valid passport issued by Chinese authorities?

Ian

Maybe she meant visa? :)