Take Home Pay, NYC

Take Home Pay, NYC

Old Sep 18th 2011, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

tubbstep will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Take Home Pay, NYC

Originally Posted by md95065
OK, so is this an academic H1-B then?

That would explain the fairly low salary.
Nope, believe it's just a standard Speciality H1-B.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, regardless of that you got the job, you got the visa and while you are certainly not going to have much (if any) money left at the end of the month it sounds like a great opportunity for someone just starting their career - good luck with it!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

tubbstep will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by md95065
Well, regardless of that you got the job, you got the visa and while you are certainly not going to have much (if any) money left at the end of the month it sounds like a great opportunity for someone just starting their career - good luck with it!
I'm a pretty frugal person, I reckon I'll be fine. I'm just excited to start.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:06 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tubbstep
There are plenty of New Yorkers living on much less. I think you'll be fine too!
Old Sep 19th 2011, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tubbstep
Where there is a will there is a way. Sure 32K is not something you live like a king but it clearly shows you are keen and I always think, if one is mentally ready then anything is possible. Whats the worst thing that could happen mate.....

Put it this way. If I were young I got a opportunity like this, no matter who said what I would jump all over it.

Good luck!!
Old Sep 19th 2011, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you hang around the bins by the back door of pizza joints when they're closing, you may even get to eat occasionally.
I think you will be fine too OP. Negative as ever eh, fatf**k?
Old Sep 19th 2011, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

You will be fine. A case of cheap beer, a few bottle of cheap wine, and some left over pizza will carry you through.

Anyway the girls will probably love your accent so you won't even have to take them out so that will save you money.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

When I first moved to the US I was on a J1 visa and had to show I had $500 for every month I was staying (as I wasn't earning anything). Realising that was a tiny amount I had more than that but not much more - and I was also heading to Brooklyn.

Long story short it's tough but possible. You'll be in an interesting area and there are plenty of free things to see and do over New York and particularly Brooklyn.