Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Taaking the 'VERY' long way round.

Taaking the 'VERY' long way round.

Old Jan 24th 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taaking the 'VERY' long way round.

I am sitting here watching a movie called 'Bonneville' with Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates and Joan Allen. The three women are taking a road trip to deliver some blokes ashes from Idaho to California and were almost in Salt lake City when they passed a truck driver and flirted, they then stopped off at Bonneville salt flats (a bit off route). Then they stopped at a hotel somewhere and next day as they leave the truck driver arrives and they talk about going in the same direction and .... they will be in Las Vegas on weds. It takes about 5 hours from salt Lake city to Vegas in a truck let alone a car and as they are in quite q hurry to get to California why is it taking so long and how on earth does the truck driver make a living if it takes him that long to get anywhere ? Being in the trade and was self employed for some time as the guy in the movie is , I know you have cover about 3 states a day to make any money.
Then ..... the three women stop at the Grand canyon !!!! .. not exactly on route if in such a hurry Eventually they get to Vegas and find a hotel and guess what ??? the f**kin truck driver is at the same hotel.... there must be one hotel only in Vegas and all the others are fake

I will leave it now but as I write one of them is at a fruit machine ... I bet she wins a million ? ....

Old Jan 24th 2009, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taaking the 'VERY' long way round.

Not quite .... $176,000 first spin ! ... you can just tell whats going to happen can't you
Old Jan 24th 2009, 7:59 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

You have too much time on your hands
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:00 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If you watch old Westerns shot in Sedona and you know the place well, you also wonder why they are riding round and round in circles.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you watch old Westerns shot in Sedona and you know the place well, you also wonder why they are riding round and round in circles.
Having driven down I-15 between Salt lake and Vegas several times I can't see why it takes them so long ?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:00 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Having driven down I-15 between Salt lake and Vegas several times I can't see why it takes them so long ?
Oh come on! Its a film!! My favorite comment about the reality of films was from a friend of mine. Watching "death becomes her" (yes, crap film I know), Meryl Streep has a foot wide hole in the middle of her (but perfectly OK since she's now immortal or something), jumps over a wall and lands on her feet the otherside.. friends says "thats totally unreealistic.. no-one could make that landing onto their feet in those heels!!!". Errr Derrrrr!! Lol!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Funny how things work out in the movies, isn't? One of my favorites is the 97 Kurt Russel film Breakdown. Kurt Russels character and his wife (Kathleen Quinland) are driving cross country, when their car breaks down - interestingly they break down southbound on Rt 128 in Utah, which means they would have gotten off I-70 right before the breakdown occurred. A truckdriver stops to help (another curiosity since 18 wheelers are not allowed on Rt 128), and offers to take the wife down the road to a diner, where she can call for help. (The closest diner would be in Moab, a few miles down Rt 128, by the way). A little bit later, Kurt Russel's character gets the car going again, and drives down the road to hook up with his wife at the Diner.

In the next scene, we are at the local diner, which is surrounded by Joshua trees. Since there are no Joshua trees in the Moab area, it follows that Kurt Russel drove from Moab, Utah to Sedona, Arizona (another location used in the film) in about 15 minutes. Now that's some driving!!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

There are so many movie scenes that are similar. 'Convoy' always makes me laugh .. if I ever get the missfortune to have to watch the carp that is !

No driver in this country would ever make any sort of living just driving around like that
Apart from thet fact that the trucks here are piles of doggy do do