British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Syracuse, NY (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/syracuse-ny-348548/)

blaze Jan 15th 2006 11:18 pm

Syracuse, NY

Hi,
I'm trying to find any brits who live in the Syracuse , NY area. I'm in need of a good chat and a cuppa with some friends. I've been told that there are tons of ex-pats here but do you think I ever bump into any of them :o .
Thanks

BrandonBrit Jan 16th 2006 3:30 am

Re: Syracuse, NY

Hi Petal,

I'm sure you'll find someone soon, just keep checking these boards and someone near will turn up. If no one is close enough for a cuppa just yet, these boards are great for good ol' Brit humour and of course sarcasm....

And also very helpful for any questions on all sorts of topics that are asked, these Brits are a very clever bunch, I've certainly learnt a lot from them since joining last year.

Chris.

Partystar Jan 16th 2006 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
Hi Petal,

I'm sure you'll find someone soon, just keep checking these boards and someone near will turn up. If no one is close enough for a cuppa just yet, these boards are great for good ol' Brit humour and of course sarcasm....

And also very helpful for any questions on all sorts of topics that are asked, these Brits are a very clever bunch, I've certainly learnt a lot from them since joining last year.

Chris.

Hey Chris,

Good to see you back, how was your holiday? Thanx again for the Christmas Pud, it was lovely! Hope to see you on Saturday.

Liz

BrandonBrit Jan 16th 2006 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar
Hey Chris,

Good to see you back, how was your holiday? Thanx again for the Christmas Pud, it was lovely! Hope to see you on Saturday.

Liz

Holiday was absolutely great. Couldn't believe the bloody traffic on M25 on arrival on Boxing Day though, chock-a-block!!!

So the pud was good? I haven't even sampled one yet...although others that I sent it to, said it was tasty too.

I'll be there on Saturday... see you then.

blaze Jan 16th 2006 6:32 pm

Hi Petal,

Chris.

I knew it was you :)

Ben Jan 16th 2006 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by blaze
Hi,
I'm trying to find any brits who live in the Syracuse , NY area. I'm in need of a good chat and a cuppa with some friends. I've been told that there are tons of ex-pats here but do you think I ever bump into any of them :o .
Thanks

If you find that no one answers you, you could try the local colleges or coffee shops near the local colleges. There are a few in your area and I know that at at least one of them there are a few brits.

Also, do you have children? When we moved here the first thing I did when I registered the childen was to ask if there were any from Europe that attended the school. They were a real help.

You could also put an add in the local free paper or up in your local library about meeting other brits for coffee. You will be amazed at the number of people who know someone who is from the UK.

Sorry but we are too far away from your, on Long Island.

blaze Jan 17th 2006 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Ben
If you find that no one answers you, you could try the local colleges or coffee shops near the local colleges. There are a few in your area and I know that at at least one of them there are a few brits.

Also, do you have children? When we moved here the first thing I did when I registered the childen was to ask if there were any from Europe that attended the school. They were a real help.

You could also put an add in the local free paper or up in your local library about meeting other brits for coffee. You will be amazed at the number of people who know someone who is from the UK.

Sorry but we are too far away from your, on Long Island.

Thank you for the info. I will try the things that you've mentioned :) . I lived in Az for a long time and there were brits coming out of the woodwork there so it was never a problem to meet people.
Thanks again for the reply :D

Ben Jan 17th 2006 1:41 pm

People hibernate at this time of the year. We moved over here in December and couldn't believe how quiet people were. then springtime came and people were coming out of the woodwork! You may find in the summer you meet a lot of Brits :)

blaze Jan 17th 2006 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Ben
People hibernate at this time of the year. We moved over here in December and couldn't believe how quiet people were. then springtime came and people were coming out of the woodwork! You may find in the summer you meet a lot of Brits :)

Well then I can't wait for it to start warming up a bit :) . You're probably very right on that though, when winter hits people don't like to be out and about as much.

blaze Jan 22nd 2006 11:15 pm

Holiday was absolutely great. Couldn't believe the bloody traffic on M25 on arrival on Boxing Day though, chock-a-block!!!

So the pud was good? I haven't even sampled one yet...although others that I sent it to, said it was tasty too.

I'll be there on Saturday... see you then.

Look 'ere mrs, where the bloody hell is the pudding I was promised WEEKS AGO!!!!! It's all very well and good you sending them to every other bugger on this computer but your friend of HOW MANY YEARS!!!!! has to keep reminding you. :mad:

BrandonBrit Jan 23rd 2006 4:14 am

Originally Posted by blaze
Look 'ere mrs, where the bloody hell is the pudding I was promised WEEKS AGO!!!!! It's all very well and good you sending them to every other bugger on this computer but your friend of HOW MANY YEARS!!!!! has to keep reminding you. :mad:

Give me a chance woman... life is hectic... stop yer whinging and they'll be on their way soon! :)

I still love ya.... xx

Rushman Jan 23rd 2006 4:38 am

I'm alot further north than Syracuse but if you ever find yourself venturing into the Adirondacks be glad to have a cuppa (aslong as your paying)

Englishmum Jan 23rd 2006 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by rushman
I'm alot further north than Syracuse but if you ever find yourself venturing into the Adirondacks be glad to have a cuppa (aslong as your paying)

I didn't know you lived up there in the Adirondacks. We were at Lake George over the Christmas holidays (stayed there for the skiing at Mt. Gore which was quite some distance away) . The whole town was mothballed for the winter with only two hotels, MacDonalds and a small supermarket open. It was really creepy.

Some friends of ours are looking for weekend/vacation homes in the Catskills which is an easy driving distance from the NY metro area.....don't think I could cope with the worries about leaving a house mostly empty during the very cold winter months.

blaze Jan 23rd 2006 7:16 pm

Give me a chance woman... life is hectic... stop yer whinging and they'll be on their way soon! :)

I still love ya.... xx

I still love ya too :)
yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I know, "get a room" ;)

blaze Jan 23rd 2006 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by rushman

Good to know I'm not the only Brit in upstate Ny :) . Next time I'm your way I'll take you up on that cuppa :D