Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sworn Statements for AOS @ Arlington

Sworn Statements for AOS @ Arlington

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

ralph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sworn Statements for AOS @ Arlington

For our AOS interview, Arlington office mandates notarized statements from 3 different individuals attesting our marital status.

Is there a specific format for such a letter. Does the attesting individual have to state any of their personal infomation other than their telephone number? Do these individuals have to be US citizens?

The interview letter so vague in their precise requirements, that it points to follow guidelines in # 2

There is no guideline #2 anywhere in the letter.

Thanks

ralph
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 7:21 pm
Paul

Default Re: Sworn Statements for AOS @ Arlington

ralph <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > For our AOS interview, Arlington office mandates notarized statements from 3
    > different individuals attesting our marital status.
    >
    > Is there a specific format for such a letter. Does the attesting individual have to
    > state any of their personal infomation other than their telephone number? Do these
    > individuals have to be US citizens?
    >
    > The interview letter so vague in their precise requirements, that it points to
    > follow guidelines in # 2
    >
    > There is no guideline #2 anywhere in the letter.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > ralph

I think the reference was to the instructions for submitting an attestation in lieu
of an official birth certificate. I made sure all letters included the signatory's
name, address, phone number, immigration status (i.e., USC), and social security
number. The officer collected them, but I think she just punched holes and put them
in the binder without looking at them.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Aug 5th 2002, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks,, i might do just the same.

I think the reference was to the instructions for submitting an attestation in lieu
of an official birth certificate. I made sure all letters included the signatory's name, address, phone number, immigration status (i.e., USC), and social security number. The officer collected them, but I think she just punched holes and put them
in the binder without looking at them.
   Â
Old Aug 7th 2002, 12:24 pm
Ben Johnson

Don't get confused here.......

I believe we are talking about 2 different things....

The original poster mentioned the letters attesting to marriage......NOT ones used to
verify one's existance (lieu of birth certificate).

That said, I do not believe they can "mandate" them..... You have a right to be a
recluse, living in the mountains of Idaho somewhere, and therfore, potentially not
have 3 people who could make such an attestation.

If you have enough other evidence of a legitimate marriage.... I personally would
argue on the need for them. The law does not mandate them..... it offers them on a
"may include" basis.

To the original poster....... what exactly did the interview letter say in
this regard?

Ben

"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] m...
    > ralph <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > > For our AOS interview, Arlington office mandates notarized statements from 3
    > > different individuals attesting our marital status.
    > >
    > > Is there a specific format for such a letter. Does the attesting individual have
    > > to state any of their personal infomation other than their telephone number? Do
    > > these individuals have to be US citizens?
    > >
    > > The interview letter so vague in their precise requirements, that it points to
    > > follow guidelines in # 2
    > >
    > > There is no guideline #2 anywhere in the letter.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > ralph
    > I think the reference was to the instructions for submitting an attestation in lieu
    > of an official birth certificate. I made sure all letters included the signatory's
    > name, address, phone number, immigration status (i.e., USC), and social security
    > number. The officer collected them, but I think she just punched holes and put
    > them in the binder without looking at them.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --

Old Aug 7th 2002, 9:16 pm
Paul

"Ben Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] hlink.net>...

I'm not confused, though the instructions are confusing. You are told to submit 3
affidavits to verify your marriage. The only guidelines for what is expected in an
affidavit are provided for those to be used in lieu of a birth certifiate.

> Don't get confused here.......
    > I believe we are talking about 2 different things....
    > The original poster mentioned the letters attesting to marriage......NOT ones used
    > to verify one's existance (lieu of birth certificate).
    > That said, I do not believe they can "mandate" them..... You have a right to be a
    > recluse, living in the mountains of Idaho somewhere, and therfore, potentially not
    > have 3 people who could make such an attestation.
    > If you have enough other evidence of a legitimate marriage.... I personally would
    > argue on the need for them. The law does not mandate them..... it offers them on a
    > "may include" basis.
    > To the original poster....... what exactly did the interview letter say in
    > this regard?
    > Ben
    > "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] m-
    >
    > > ralph <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > For our AOS interview, Arlington office mandates notarized statements from 3
    > > > different individuals attesting our marital status.
    > > >
    > > > Is there a specific format for such a letter. Does the attesting individual
    > > > have to state any of their personal infomation other than their telephone
    > > > number? Do these individuals have to be US citizens?
    > > >
    > > > The interview letter so vague in their precise requirements, that it points to
    > > > follow guidelines in # 2
    > > >
    > > > There is no guideline #2 anywhere in the letter.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > ralph
    > >
    > > I think the reference was to the instructions for submitting an attestation in
    > > lieu of an official birth certificate. I made sure all letters included the
    > > signatory's name, address, phone number, immigration status (i.e., USC), and
    > > social security number. The officer collected them, but I think she just punched
    > > holes and put them in the binder without looking at them.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > --
    > >

Old Aug 9th 2002, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Re: Sworn Statements for AOS @ Arlington

The following is the extract from the interview letter.

"If you are submitting affidavits as evidence of birth and/or marriage, they must be notarized statements from two (2) people who have personal knowledge of the event. Statements must include the affiant's name, address, immigration status, relationship (if any) to you, information being asserted, and discuss how knowledge of the event was acquired."

Furthermore...

For Marriage Based Interview (Bold and Underscored)

Documents that establish a shared life:

"Affidavits from at least three (3) people who have knowledge of your current marital status. Please follow the guidelines for affidavits outlined in #2 above."

As i stated in my previous post, there is no # 2 anywhere on the three page interview letter.

Hope it makes sense to the readers, to me it does not.

Best,
ralph

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ben Johnson
[B]Don't get confused here.......

I believe we are talking about 2 different things....

The original poster mentioned the letters attesting to marriage......NOT ones used to
verify one's existance (lieu of birth certificate).

That said, I do not believe they can "mandate" them..... You have a right to be a
recluse, living in the mountains of Idaho somewhere, and therfore, potentially not
have 3 people who could make such an attestation.

If you have enough other evidence of a legitimate marriage.... I personally would
argue on the need for them. The law does not mandate them..... it offers them on a
"may include" basis.

To the original poster....... what exactly did the interview letter say in
this regard?

Ben
Old Aug 9th 2002, 11:47 am
Andy Platt

I see they still haven't corrected the letter. I just asked for my friends to write a
*brief* letter summarizing how long they had known me & Deana, that they had been to
our wedding, that they had visited with us before and after our marriage, that they
had met our daughter, etc. One of our friends (my daughter's godmother) went a bit
overboard and wrote all about how ours had been the best wedding she'd been too and
how much she loved our daughter, etc, etc.! They all got them notarized except for
one friend who included two versions, the second (unnotarized) said:

"I can honestly and without hesitation state that Andy Platt is a doofus. As far as I
know he has always been a doofus and I can see no circumstances under which he will
ever not be a doofus."

So, my advice, is to make sure you look at the letters before submitting them!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "ralph"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The following is the extract from the interview letter.
    > "If you are submitting affidavits as evidence of birth and/or marriage, they must
    > be notarized statements from two (2) people who have personal knowledge of the
    > event. Statements must include the affiant's name, address, immigration status,
    > relationship (if any) to you, information being asserted, and discuss how knowledge
    > of the event was acquired."
    > Furthermore...
    > For Marriage Based Interview (Bold and Underscored)
    > Documents that establish a shared life:
    > "Affidavits from at least three (3) people who have knowledge of your current
    > marital status. Please follow the guidelines for affidavits outlined in #2 above."
    > As i stated in my previous post, there is no # 2 anywhere on the three page
    > interview letter.
    > Hope it makes sense to the readers, to me it does not.
    > Best, ralph
    > Originally posted by Ben Johnson
    > > Don't get confused here.......
    > >
    > > I believe we are talking about 2 different things....
    > >
    > > The original poster mentioned the letters attesting to marriage......NOT ones
    > > used to verify one's existance (lieu of birth certificate).
    > >
    > > That said, I do not believe they can "mandate" them..... You have a right to be a
    > > recluse, living in the mountains of Idaho somewhere, and therfore, potentially
    > > not have 3 people who could make such an attestation.
    > >
    > > If you have enough other evidence of a legitimate marriage.... I personally would
    > > argue on the need for them. The law does not mandate them..... it offers them on
    > > a "may include" basis.
    > >
    > > To the original poster....... what exactly did the interview letter say in this
    > > regard?
    > >
    > > Ben
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com