Reload this Page >

Switching Employment Contract UK > US

Switching Employment Contract UK > US

Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:20 am
Just Joined

shockuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Switching Employment Contract UK > US

Hello,

I'm in the process of getting my spouse VISA so I can move to America. I've spoken with my current employer and we are now in discussions for my relocating to America doing the same job. However switching from a UK contract to a US contract.

I was wondering what things I should be looking out for that I need to try and negotiate during switching contracts. For example I currently get a company car, a nice holiday allowance, pension, private health care.

I'm thinking at this time to relocate to Dallas, TX and not sure if they will attempt to change my salary to balance out of the state average for my role? I know can't ask for too much because it is me pushing them, not me being forced to go! But I just wanted some tips so I don't get caught out.

Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switching Employment Contract UK > US

Unless you're an influential executive the chances are that they'll just want to put you on the local pay scale and terms for your role and there won't be much you're able to negotiate. Things like vacation time and health benefits are invariably defined by corporate policy and management level (manager benes are sometimes more generous). Company cars are not common unless there is a business need for one.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Unless you're an influential executive the chances are that they'll just want to put you on the local pay scale and terms for your role and there won't be much you're able to negotiate. Things like vacation time and health benefits are invariably defined by corporate policy and management level (manager benes are sometimes more generous). Company cars are not common unless there is a business need for one.
Agreed. What may be up for negotiation more is the relocation package.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the hope of nothing haha.
It's really shocking the differences in employment laws, going from 28 days holiday to 10 days might end me
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shockuk
Thanks for the hope of nothing haha.
It's really shocking the differences in employment laws, going from 28 days holiday to 10 days might end me
Well, on vacation, all you can do is ask. You will learn to work your vacation around public holidays.

The relocation package can be worth a significant amount of money. Make sure it has everything you need in it.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the same situation as you, getting a spousal visa and asking my employer to transfer me to the US side (actually the parent company in my case).

My head of department (based in the US) was very supportive of the move and wanted me over there. He asked me to put forward a proposed package, so I did some research into the going rate for my role in the target location (NYC) using sites like Glassdoor and Payscale and so put forward a request. My boss made it clear he was happy to sign off on pretty much anything reasonable, but then HR put their oar in, complaining that the difference in what I was getting in London and asking for in NYC was far too high and that it would "set a precedent".

I pointed out, partly with boss's prompting, that the going rate in NYC for the role was much higher than in London, and that what I was asking for was towards the bottom end of the typical scale in NYC, and that I'd be giving up job security and a lot of vacation time. (Ironically, about six months into my move, the US end massively increased vacation allowance to remain competitive putting it much closer to what we had in the UK.)

So if you can find a manager in the US end that likes you and would like to have you over, and can be your champion, that'll be a huge boost. Other than that, do your homework, ground your arguments with evidence and be ready for a fight with HR. Good luck!

Edit to add: my USC wife was very much you have to be American about this, promote yourself and your value to the company and why they should not want to lose you and don't be British and oh well never mind. She was right! (She usually is.)

Last edited by rpjs; Jul 23rd 2014 at 1:35 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Thank Roy,
I have been struggling to find salary comparison sites. Normally when I look on Monster the positions never include a salary.

I will try to be more American and less British ha. At the moment they have agreed for me to go over to America on my ESTA for 6 Months returning after 3 months each time to see if it's a good fit.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... At the moment they have agreed for me to go over to America on my ESTA for 6 Months returning after 3 months each time to see if it's a good fit.
You realise that you can't legally "work" on the VWP/ESTA, don't you? And how are they going to pay you when you have no SSN. .... If it is through the UK payroll that opens up a whole other can of worms!
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute

I just got my Contingent contract yesterday (Woop!) and my leave allowance is not to bad at16 days + all the national holidays. I never get around to using my holiday so its pretty good. I get to work 4 day week every other week which is nice.

The pay was pretty much the same as what i get over here plus a bit to make up for the health care costs. I am cool with this as its a chance to see something different rather than a get rich quick scheme.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

At the moment they have agreed for me to go over to America on my ESTA for 6 Months returning after 3 months each time to see if it's a good fit.
I just want to emphasise Pulaski's comment that this is illegal, and may endanger your visa application. The VWP is not for carrying out normal business, it's for business visits, for things like meetings or training.