Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

sweets at work

sweets at work

Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute
Default sweets at work

Is it just here that people have huge bowls of sweets on their desks. In almost every office there is a plate or bowl groaning under the weight of nasty american sweets and chocolates.
Even at the dentist for goodness sake they have a huge plate of fresh chocolate chip cookies (I pointed out the obvious irony here and they just couldnt see it, they saw it as an act of generosity, DUH!)
It makes me feel sick seeing people eat so much canddy all the time. Then you get people putting out plates with little collection boxes asking for donations to the candy bowl. Am I a scrooge for not contributing.
I feel often that living/working here I am in some weird children's universe where adults behave like children (specifically regarding eating). I still see eating burgers as kids food and something one grows out of when you get older. Here people always moan when they have some 'adult' food like roast chicken or spinach something or lentil something, they always look forward to the days when they can have 'comfort' childrens food like a hot dog or burger. (we get free food at my company!)
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:14 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sweets at work

My (NHS) dentist has fresh fruit in a bowl for the kids.

....I am currently in the UK.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

nope it's here also, even at the title company we were at the other week there were fresh baked cookies.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

i realised that as i posted this I was eating a oats n honey bar from the office kitchen. But this is the healthy choice isnt it.. better than eating sweets all day I think. People think I am weird because I dont eat the sweets and nasty crisps here but opt for fruit and oat bars..

Originally Posted by TruBrit
nope it's here also, even at the title company we were at the other week there were fresh baked cookies.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:21 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I have always had a sweet bowl in my home for guest and for me (all sugar-free of course). Saves me from wanting to get up and eat something with mega calories in it.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a small thing of jelly beans on my desk, but then I'm billy no mates and try and hide in the dark of my office...also have random snacks in my desk draws.

Bring in the odd home made snacks now and again for the guys at work, some people bring in doughnuts, cookies, bagels that someone brings in are lovely...and there use to be a sweets bowl by the door, but don't know where that went in the move.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK we had charity tuck boxes by all the water coolers/kettle stations--drove us mad as they were too tempting (our canteen was open 11-3 so the boxes were brought in for snack breaks).

Here it used to be once a week or so donuts or baked goods. However, apparently our department unofficially banned all treats, as some of the ladies started a weekly on site Weight Watchers group. Now it's recipe swapping. I'm only on the office occasionally and last week was surprised to see them getting the scales out at Wednesday lunchtime!

The reception ladies have bowls of sweets or peppermints.

Our dentist gives out stickers and new toothbrushes/floss.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:48 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
i realised that as i posted this I was eating a oats n honey bar from the office kitchen. But this is the healthy choice isnt it.. better than eating sweets all day I think. People think I am weird because I dont eat the sweets and nasty crisps here but opt for fruit and oat bars..
Not so healthy. Read the label of that bar you're eating. The sugar content in the honey alone makes it uneatable for a diabetic. You are eating the same amount of sweets as someone eating a piece of candy. Also a diabetic cannot eat fruit of any sort, too high in sugar. Oats have to many carbs.

If you don't like the candy, cookies or whatever is offered then don't eat it and look away. Why is your concern what others do or offer if you don't wish to participate.

Or better yet, change jobs. I hate lentils so I, for one, would not eat anything with lentils in it. But I love all veggies with the exception of okra.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

I realise full well that this oat bar is far from healthy and like everything here contains enormous amounts of sugar ro rather corn syrup (because sugar is just too damn expensive...)
Its not just the sweets its the endless stinky snacks. Endless munching, grunching, sucking, crackling of wrappers etc. Right now this giant 250lb guy just walked in with a huge bag of mcdonalds. The stench was overpowering. Maybe working in soho I was just lucky, bread and jam was our only vice in our kitchen and fresh fruit, but there was never this continuous eating business. I think its just the size of people coupled with the non stop eating that just kind of repulses me... but I gues its just me rather than being an 'american thing'.
I just want to shout at these people and say 'look you fat f.... dont you think you have already eaten enough for a dozen families, do you really need to stuff your face with yet more sugar, more fat, more chemically reprocessed de-hydrogenated sulphur preserved MSG? why are you still eating are you a cow or something do you need continuous sugar input in order to keep breathing?'
grrr...

Originally Posted by Rete
Not so healthy. Read the label of that bar you're eating. The sugar content in the honey alone makes it uneatable for a diabetic. You are eating the same amount of sweets as someone eating a piece of candy. Also a diabetic cannot eat fruit of any sort, too high in sugar. Oats have to many carbs.

If you don't like the candy, cookies or whatever is offered then don't eat it and look away. Why is your concern what others do or offer if you don't wish to participate.

Or better yet, change jobs. I hate lentils so I, for one, would not eat anything with lentils in it. But I love all veggies with the exception of okra.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:06 am

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
I just want to shout at these people and say 'look you fat f.... dont you think you have already eaten enough for a dozen families, do you really need to stuff your face with yet more sugar, more fat, more chemically reprocessed de-hydrogenated sulphur preserved MSG? why are you still eating are you a cow or something do you need continuous sugar input in order to keep breathing?'
grrr...
I'm turning in to a PC person but why do you feel the need to want to pick on fat people. Personally their are very few people fat people that I have seen that I can say I am repulsed at (I so feel sorry for them). But I have seen plenty of anorexics nothing but bones protruding and that really does make me feel sick.
Why not live and let live, who are we the nazi eating police?
Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:08 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Can we please bring back the tea lady with the cart. The one with hair in curlers and a fag hanging out of her mouth.

Just a passing fantasy.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by gardnma
Can we please bring back the tea lady with the cart. The one with hair in curlers and a fag hanging out of her mouth.

Just a passing fantasy.
you are strange
Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

its not the size thats really the issue for me its just the sheer greed and glutton that kills me. I just never came into contact with this when I lived in London. Maybe I was just living in a bubble or something.
We have a pretty cushy life here, free breakfast lunch and dinner. I would see people grabbing 10 criossant (almost all that was on offer) and stuffing it into their little tupperware boxes or in their mouths. Surely one would suffice.. maybe two if youre feeling naughty. Sure who am I to say what people should and should not eat but its just the overwhelming abundance of everything in this world that we live in today that kind of grosses me out..

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
I'm turning in to a PC person but why do you feel the need to want to pick on fat people. Personally their are very few people fat people that I have seen that I can say I am repulsed at (I so feel sorry for them). But I have seen plenty of anorexics nothing but bones protruding and that really does make me feel sick.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:32 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed it too Angelman. Tubs full of pretzels, bowls of tootsie rolls and jolly ranchers (barf) , there was also an obese gent at my last job who ate McDonalds for breafast pretty much every day of the week and usually had either 4-5 bologna sandwiches or a Dominos pizza for lunch.
I used to think about how he was in his 50's and how much he was earning and the fact that he'd probably be dead before he got to retire and enjoy any of it, poor bastard.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 1:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Someone complained a few days ago about me using the word 'nazi' in a post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.