Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Swearing a UK affadavit in the USA

Swearing a UK affadavit in the USA

Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light
Default Swearing a UK affadavit in the USA

Hi All - anyone got any idea who's qualified to have you swear at affadavit in front of them over here? Apparently the Bible bit is essential therefore I can't just go to a notary...had a Justice of the Peace suggested, but just wondered if anyone had any experience?

Thx
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:45 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swearing a UK affadavit in the USA

Hmmmm, at a loss as to what type of affidavit you need to be sworn in for. A notary is used for affirming affidavits here in the US.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rete
Hmmmm, at a loss as to what type of affidavit you need to be sworn in for. A notary is used for affirming affidavits here in the US.
It's related to a legal issue back in the UK (nothing dodgy - just realised it sounds that way). I have to swear that the contents of said doc are true...
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
It's related to a legal issue back in the UK (nothing dodgy - just realised it sounds that way). I have to swear that the contents of said doc are true...
Going to a notary is your only option that I'm aware of. I think almost every bank has a notary. If I use the notary at my bank we don't have to pay a fee for the service.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

I'd suggest that only the person requiring the affidavit can give you a definitive answer - I imagine possible answers could range from any witness, to a "professional" witness, to a notary public, to a notary public with an apostille.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rew1000
a notary public, to a notary public with an apostille.
Yep -- I'd go for that. You'll find the apostille info on your state's website. A couple of bucks, usually.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

If the document is for use in the UK then contact your nearest British Consulate and ask about their Notarial Services. Here in FL we can witness signatures and administer oaths etc.

Cranley
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Yep -- I'd go for that. You'll find the apostille info on your state's website. A couple of bucks, usually.
Check with the town hall, often they'll have someone who'll do it for town residents for free and if they don't, you've only wasted a few mins calling and asking.