Swallow?

Old May 18th 2005, 10:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Swallow?

Now getting your mind out of the gutter as I was talking about birds...
Just seen my first blue cardinal of the season...haven't seen a red one yet, but there's one hanging around the in-laws which I haven't seen yet...

But, what kind of birds you noticed that are fun? Or plain different to what you've seen in blighty? Robin's over here are a lot larger as well...only one's that don't change are the sea gulls..even the ducks around here aren't the same old mallards *lol*
Old May 18th 2005, 10:44 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swallow?

Originally Posted by Bob
Just seen my first blue cardinal of the season...haven't seen a red one yet, but there's one hanging around the in-laws which I haven't seen yet...

But, what kind of birds you noticed that are fun? Or plain different to what you've seen in blighty? Robin's over here are a lot larger as well...only one's that don't change are the sea gulls..even the ducks around here aren't the same old mallards *lol*
Lots of red cardinals around here, noisy too.Oh and my budgie .
Old May 18th 2005, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Swarms of Humming Birds, and a very noisy flock of Green Parrots...not seen so frequently in Leeds.
Old May 18th 2005, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of Blue Birds and Red Cardinals around these parts.

We occasionally see a couple of huge eagles flying around (We are talking about birds with a 6Ft wing span here).
Old May 18th 2005, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Suess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to allSuess is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob

This place (PA) is full of Canadian Geese. I think they are kind of cool. I had to ask my husband what the red breasted birds were. I couldn't believe it when he said Robins. They don't make them like that in the old country. But my favourite by far is the Red Cardinal.

Boy, you must be as bored as me.
Old May 18th 2005, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Oh good I can now tell you all about the little bird in my garden.

I heard a woodpecker a couple of weeks ago and looked out of the window and there he was pecking the dead tree in our garden. He spent a full week pecking and in the end he had pecked a perfect 3 inch diameter hole that goes about 5 inches deep into the tree. I felt really sorry for him as I didn't think he had a girlfriend and all his hard work was for nothing, but now there are two woodpeckers in the tree and I think we may have some baby woodpeckers hatching soon and can't wait to see the chicks when they hatch. I have also had red and blue cardinals in my garden, at least that's what I think they are.

I never ever thought I'd turn into a birdwatching geek but I do like watching my little woodpecker.

Simple things..............
Old May 18th 2005, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

It's odd how interesting something as simple as weird new wildlife can get. Other than the aforementioned humming birds and parrots, we have a skunk living near us that I often see sauntering up and down the driveway, and more than a few times he must have gotten into a fight and the smell has woken me up in the night. Now and then a stray cayote wanders the street like a fox would in England.
Old May 18th 2005, 11:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dant3
Swarms of Humming Birds, and a very noisy flock of Green Parrots...not seen so frequently in Leeds.
flock of parrots...cool....there were a couple of them in out in the wild in Egham, sometimes over in Windsor park...been there for years apparantly, they escaped or something years back and still living strong...was the weirdest thing seeing them fly around blighty
Old May 18th 2005, 11:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Suess
This place (PA) is full of Canadian Geese. I think they are kind of cool. I had to ask my husband what the red breasted birds were. I couldn't believe it when he said Robins. They don't make them like that in the old country...
they don't have to migrate from Africa either *lol*

And yup, I'm bored
Old May 18th 2005, 11:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by mandpete

... but I do like watching my little woodpecker.

indeed

Well if you get the chance of taking a photo, be fun to see, of the birds, not your pecker
Old May 18th 2005, 11:12 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
flock of parrots...cool....there were a couple of them in out in the wild in Egham, sometimes over in Windsor park...been there for years apparantly, they escaped or something years back and still living strong...was the weirdest thing seeing them fly around blighty
I used to live in Hampton (UK) and we had tons of them there.
Old May 18th 2005, 11:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by sibsie
I used to live in Hampton (UK) and we had tons of them there.
someone go on a mass rampage to free loads of parrots huh?
Old May 18th 2005, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
someone go on a mass rampage to free loads of parrots huh?
Apparently that's how East Los Angeles got infested with them ten years ago. A pet store burnt down and the parrots escaped and started breeding faster than rabbits.
Old May 18th 2005, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob

We're lucky to have woodland and pasture land adjoining our back yard - lovely view (it's why we chose this house). We've become addicted to birdwatching over the past few months, and hang out varous feeders to encourage more visitors. Himself has a list of 36 varieties we've seen so far
(just one or two of them in other locations). Blue jays, Cardinals, Chickadees, Tufted Titmouses (Titmice? LOL) Red-headed woodpeckers, Red-bellied woodpeckers, Robins, Crows, Starlings, Wrens, Mourning Doves,
Cowbirds, Kingbirds, Blackbirds, Purple Martins, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, A Painted Bunting (spectacular little thing!), White Egrets who follow the 5 cattle in the nearby pasture picking up insects under the cattle's feet (and in their poo - YUK!), One of your namesake Bob -
"Bob-whites" - small gamebirds whose call sounds just like their name. Wild turkey often visit too.
And of course ....just like the song...."we sit around and talk, and watch the hawks making lazy circles in the sky.....Ooooklahoma where the wind comes right behind the rain.......Hmmmmmmmmm....tornado probably!

But the countryside and wildlife is the one great thing about living here. We've had white-tailed deer looking over our low fence too.
Old May 19th 2005, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

We have Deer all around alway's seeing them in the woods, they just stop dead and look stright at us, and the biggest turtle's I'v ever seen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.