Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SUV or a Car?!

SUV or a Car?!

Old Dec 29th 2003, 10:55 am
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default SUV or a Car?!

Hello,

Its Brandi here.... waxwabbits wife.....

I was wondering if any of you could help give your points of view on this topic....

As you know we are FINALLY leaving Lee's family home to go to USA and get our own place. We will also getting a new vechicle too!!!! Ive always wanted to get a SUV (Jeep liberty) as my next vechicle, but Lee (who doesnt drive) thinks its "better" to get a car?!

Could you please give your thoughts on this.... do you prefer SUV's to Cars or Cars to SUV's?! Does the fact that it cost more in gas for a SUV then a car bother you?! Any advice.....

My parents have 2 SUV's and would not go back to having a car, and I enjoy driving them.

Lee's idea is that we get a car first, then one day when he gets his licensce, we will ge a SUV. I think it should be the other way around!!!!!! My family lives in Maryland, and we will be moving to Florida (hopefully).

Thank you
Brandi
Old Dec 29th 2003, 12:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SUV or a Car?!

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Hello,

I was wondering if any of you could help give your points of view on this topic....

As you know we are FINALLY leaving Lee's family home to go to USA and get our own place. We will also getting a new vechicle too!!!! Ive always wanted to get a SUV (Jeep liberty) as my next vechicle, but Lee (who doesnt drive) thinks its "better" to get a car?!

Could you please give your thoughts on this.... do you prefer SUV's to Cars or Cars to SUV's?! Does the fact that it cost more in gas for a SUV then a car bother you?! Any advice.....

My parents have 2 SUV's and would not go back to having a car, and I enjoy driving them.

Lee's idea is that we get a car first, then one day when he gets his licensce, we will ge a SUV. I think it should be the other way around!!!!!! My family lives in Maryland, and we will be moving to Florida (hopefully).

Thank you
Brandi
Brandi:

Try http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=suv - many interesting (and contrasting!) points of view were aired last time this question was asked. You may have stirred a hornet's nest! I'm not even going to tell you what I think, for fear of opening old wounds....
Old Dec 29th 2003, 12:46 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Rule Number One. He doesn't have a license therefor he has no ****ing say in which car/suv you get as you will be driving it! When he gets his license he can buy whatever car he wants, till then tell him to wind his neck in and shut up!

Patrick

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Hello,

Thank you
Brandi
Old Dec 29th 2003, 1:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Lee's idea is that we get a car first, then one day when he gets his licensce, we will ge a SUV. I think it should be the other way around!!!!!! My family lives in Maryland, and we will be moving to Florida (hopefully).Thank youBrandi
Lee. has had an idea without consulting this forum...steady now!!! Yes I agree you willl need a SUV when travelling though the mountains of Florida...and a 4 wheel drive one would be particularly useful during the winter snow storms we get down here...Tampa has been particularly bad this winter with all the SUVs struggling to get through the inclement weather.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 1:38 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
Rule Number One. He doesn't have a license therefor he has no ****ing say in which car/suv you get as you will be driving it! When he gets his license he can buy whatever car he wants, till then tell him to wind his neck in and shut up!

Patrick

Wow Patrick, get out of bed the wrong side or something?

There must be many contrasting views regarding SUVs.
Brandy is looking for a few.
Myself, we bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee when we arrived in the States.
Yes, we saw the big automobile and loved the thought of a V8 !
Something we could never afford in the UK.
It was great for a while, then the gas bills started to add up, the thing was a bloody tank! It was poorly built with little thought going into the design of the thing.
After about a year we had had enough and sold it.
We picked up a VW Passat and a Golf, yes I know that they are German.
But I would never go back.
The whole SUV thing over here has gotten out of hand now.
The latest monstrosity has got to be that Hummer 2.

So Brandy, I am betting you will buy your SUV. With 4 wheel drive ect. You know the snow in Tampa can be a bitch.
Plus you won't want to feel left out when you are dropping the little darlings off at football practice. The other parents will look down at you if you only have a car.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 5:10 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by excpomea
Wow Patrick, get out of bed the wrong side or something?
No! Lee is a spanner who can't do a thing without posting on here first, now he (who can't drive) is trying to make decisions for his wife (who can).

Rules of marriage - those who haven't don't make rule for those who have. If you have no overies then you have right to make decisions about overies, if you have no testicles you have no right to make decisions concerning testicles, you have no license then you shut up and get driven around by the person who does in the vehicle of there choosing.

Simple, yet somehow beyond your grasp.

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick; Dec 29th 2003 at 5:13 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I bet you're glad you posted that question, eh Brandi?
:scared:
Old Dec 29th 2003, 6:45 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

You have no license then you shut up and get driven around by the person who does in the vehicle of there choosing.

Simple, yet somehow beyond your grasp.

Patrick
Maybe so, but if Lee is paying for the car then he gets to decide if it's a car or a SUV.
Personaly, I feel Brandi has the bigger balls in that family. So Lee won't get a look in either way.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 7:25 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by excpomea
Maybe so, but if Lee is paying for the car then he gets to decide if it's a car or a SUV.
Personaly, I feel Brandi has the bigger balls in that family. So Lee won't get a look in either way.
What does that matter, who pays. He may be paying but he cant drive it! Since when has a man who pays had any say in what his wife spends it on?

The stupidest thing about this thread is that I cant beleive this is Brandi - I think it is inept Lee. If it was indeed Brandi she would use her womanly power and be able to buy a SUV and make Lee think it was his idea.

Patrick
Old Dec 29th 2003, 8:00 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

We have a car and a SUV, either one has pro's and con's

The SUV is great for driving in volume traffic because you can see better as your higher up, its gets thirsty when driving short distances though, but we can get all the kids, shopping, toys, golf clubs, windsurf kit in and around it no problem.

The car is alot more smother ride, alot more economical and I think all round better drive, but when in heavy traffic and there are 3 lanes of SUV's in front of you, you can't see jack didley and usually end up slamming the anchors on alot.

if your planning on being a soccer mum than a chevy surburban or a ford excursion is a must, that way you can drive like a dickhead, whilst combing your hair, doing the nails and talking on a cell phone at the same time with "brittney - cheerleader #69" stickers in the back window.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

There's your answer- you need both. That's what we have and each is invaluable- the SUV for carting the big stuff, airport runs, taking the dogs and our bikes to the park etc... AND in Florida,we don't have the mountains, snow and ice but we do have floods- and its only the big SUV's can get through some roads when we get the big summer storms. SUV's are thirsty, but then so are big cars. I try not to use mine for commuting as gas may be cheaper here but you use a heck of a lot more of it (we spend more on gas/petrol than we do on all the household bills put together!).
Old Dec 29th 2003, 8:55 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

Patrick
Blimey. Controvertial stuff Patrick, but I have to agree with ya.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm what do you need a SUV for in Florida ? speed bumps getting out of hand ??

*gigglin*

Jan
Old Dec 30th 2003, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

A Jeep Liberty is a toy SUV. I wouldn't settle for anything less than an Expedition or, better yet, a Hummer.
I have an Expedition, altough I also own a toy Tracker that I use for local jaunts.
BTW, when I took a trip back East earlier this month, the rental car company upgraded me to a Cadillac de Ville. Strangely enough, it felt kind of small.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yosser
if your planning on being a soccer mum than a chevy surburban or a ford excursion is a must, that way you can drive like a dickhead, whilst combing your hair, doing the nails and talking on a cell phone at the same time with "brittney - cheerleader #69" stickers in the back window.
Hey, was that you behind me? Tossing blonde mane and clicking my acrylic nails on the steering wheel of my bright red SUV, talking to the other soccer moms.

Nah, not me (not even there yet to buy one, yet! ) But, I had to laugh.

Actually, we won't be buying a SUV when we get over there, hubby wants a minivan - and yes he damn well drives! Thank god!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.