Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Survival of the fittest?

Survival of the fittest?

Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:27 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Survival of the fittest?

Originally Posted by tony126
I am not defending GWB in any way but it always amazes me at the one eyed perspective people have of events when it comes to bashing GWB. I said before and I will say again an independant investigation is required and lets see how Louisiana State Government come out. Here is another persons view reprinted.

This is a post from Bill Weiler, freelance journalist, over in Merritt

Island,

Florida, who has been researching what went on before the storm hit.

These are

the author's comments.

--
Politics over Duty
--
This (above) is a load of bollocks:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/katrina/nagin.asp
Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:35 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Then try this report which probably gives a more acccurate reason for how this ended up being such a disaster. This was something which sooner or later was going to happen which in my opinion does not exonerate previous Governments, both Federal and State.

An Unnatural Disaster: A Hurricane Exposes the Man-Made Disaster of the
Welfare State

by Robert Tracinski

yada yada yada right wing bullshit

Robert Tracinski is the editor of The Intellectual Activist magazine and of
TIA Daily, which offers daily news and analysis from a pro-individualist
perspective.
This article is simply offensive, and any article or author that attempts to pass off a newspaper owned by the Moonies (The Washington Times) as an authoritative source of anything deserves never to be taken seriously.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:40 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
This article is simply offensive, and any article or author that attempts to pass off a newspaper owned by the Moonies (The Washington Times) as an authoritative source of anything deserves never to be taken seriously.
The thing is, it is..........and more increasingly so.
What can be found on the Heritage Foundations desk in the morning is on AM radio by afternoon, on Cable news in the evening and the Washington Times the following morning.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:44 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
The thing is, it is..........and more increasingly so.
What can be found on the Heritage Foundations desk in the morning is on AM radio by afternoon, on Cable news in the evening and the Washington Times the following morning.
So.... conservative lies are called "news" and liberal lies "propaganda." Huh.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

This (above) is a load of bollocks:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/katrina/nagin.asp
I hope this person/people are available for the hopefully investigation, if it comes. This is another viewpoint and is no more valid than what has been said already with the provision that people will interpret things as they want to.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Francisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant future

it's certainly not a time for people to be pointing fingers
and trying to find a bigger dog to blame for local corruption and
incompetence.
--END--

"Quite apart from the various government departments and agencies incompetant and slow response..."

In my opening sentence, I intended the word 'various' to include local as well as federal departments.

I do hope that an effective investigation is fully published and acted upon.

I have to say that, regarding the welfare state in the UK at least, we pay too many people not to get jobs, any jobs, to have lots of kids they cant afford to keep (coz its their right, innit) and to generally take far more than they should get. Less benefits for many would be an incentive to work, and pass at least a modicum of work ethic on to their kids. And yes I do realise there are plenty of deserving cases on welfare, but our system is designed to keep many more on it than should be. Then Tony gets lots of votes from them......
Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:51 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
So.... conservative lies are called "news" and liberal lies "propaganda." Huh.
A study found that CNN reported in 1999 50% more "anti-gun" stories than it did "pro-gun" stories

or that ABC ran more "anti-nuclear" stories in 1979 than it did "pro-nuclear stories"

so that there is a examples of liberal bias.

What they don't add into the mix is that in 1999 was Columbine and that in 1979 was Three Mile Island......

The Right will attack the lack of objectivety in news sources, by not being objective themselves.

It's just the Noise Machine of the Right...........
Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:55 pm
A lion in your lap

I hope this person/people are available for the hopefully investigation, if it comes. This is another viewpoint and is no more valid than what has been said already with the provision that people will interpret things as they want to.
Another viewpoint??? Interpret things??? It's nothing to do with interpretation or points of view, your post claims that the Gov. of Louisiana refused to declare a state of emergency or ask for federal help until well after the hurricane hit, but the FACTS clearly prove otherwise:

http://www.gov.state.la.us/Press_Rel...ail.asp?id=976

Pursuant to 44 CFR § 206.35, I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments, and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a disaster. I am specifically requesting emergency protective measures, direct Federal Assistance, Individual and Household Program (IHP) assistance, Special Needs Program assistance, and debris removal.

August 27, 2005
Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Francisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant futureFrancisco has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Francisco
I have to say that, regarding the welfare state in the UK at least, we pay too many people not to get jobs, any jobs, to have lots of kids they cant afford to keep [/QUOTE]

Apologies for meandering onto the UK benefits system, getting confused with which thread I'm on!
Old Sep 13th 2005, 5:00 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Jane Bullock was Chief of Staff at FEMA during the Clinton presidency. She had more than 20 years at the agency. She has her own consulting business now.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in817893.shtml
Old Sep 13th 2005, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Another viewpoint??? Interpret things??? It's nothing to do with interpretation or points of view, your post claims that the Gov. of Louisiana refused to declare a state of emergency or ask for federal help until well after the hurricane hit, but the FACTS clearly prove otherwise:

August 27, 2005
Any response to the above, tony126? Looks fairly clear to me.

Here in Blighty I haven't seen much on TV about the guy (Brown?) pretending to be in charge, who clearly wasn't, then was taken away, then resigned. An earlier post said he was a GWB crony, but does anyone know what his previous job, or any relevant experience, was?
Old Sep 13th 2005, 5:18 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Francisco
Any response to the above, tony126? Looks fairly clear to me.

Here in Blighty I haven't seen much on TV about the guy (Brown?) pretending to be in charge, who clearly wasn't, then was taken away, then resigned. An earlier post said he was a GWB crony, but does anyone know what his previous job, or any relevant experience, was?
Managing an Arabian horse association. And he was let go from that position. Total fluff for a CV.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Managing an Arabian horse association. And he was let go from that position. Total fluff for a CV.
God, thats like finding out the pilot of the plane you are on had a heart attack and the guy at the controls is actually one of the cabin crew...."It can't be that difficult, I've watched them twiddle those dials loads of times......" Then when he has to do an emergency landing.....
Old Sep 13th 2005, 5:37 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Francisco
God, thats like finding out the pilot of the plane you are on had a heart attack and the guy at the controls is actually one of the cabin crew...."It can't be that difficult, I've watched them twiddle those dials loads of times......" Then when he has to do an emergency landing.....
At least the guy that was part of the cabin crew would admit he wasn't qualified, seek help in the cabin from anyone with flight training, and have ground control available. And that's why major flights have TWO pilots.

And it is probably harder to foresee a heart attack in ANYONE than to see that the levees were going to give way.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Pursuant to 44 CFR § 206.35, I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments, and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a disaster. I am specifically requesting emergency protective measures, direct Federal Assistance, Individual and Household Program (IHP) assistance, Special Needs Program assistance, and debris removal.

August 27, 2005
Let me remind you of what I said in my opening post. To save you looking here it is:-
I am not defending GWB in any way but it always amazes me at the one eyed perspective people have of events when it comes to bashing GWB. I said before and I will say again an independant investigation is required and lets see how Louisiana State Government come out. Here is another persons view reprinted.

I did not say it was my viewpoint. This discussion has now gone on to bring other relevant facts, disputed or not, to the forum. Find out why this was allowed to happen and stop pointing the finger in one direction as some people are prone to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.