Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Surrey To Orlando

Surrey To Orlando

Old Jun 4th 2003, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

SteveDonovan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Surrey To Orlando

Do any U.S insurance companys take account of your no claims record in the U.K.? Also how did other people arriving in the U.S fund the purchase of a car, given that your credit record does not exist in the U.S. Is it a case of paying cash,if you can, or getting the bus? Others experiences would be much appreciated.
Old Jun 4th 2003, 6:20 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surrey To Orlando

Originally posted by SteveDonovan
Do any U.S insurance companys take account of your no claims record in the U.K.? Also how did other people arriving in the U.S fund the purchase of a car, given that your credit record does not exist in the U.S. Is it a case of paying cash,if you can, or getting the bus? Others experiences would be much appreciated.

Insurance: Shop around, we found 2 insurance companies that took our UK driving experience and lack of points on our UK license into account and our insurance is $400 rather than $2000 (bi-annual). The 2 companies where Farm Bureau and GMAC, but we didn't call that many so I expect there are more.

Car: You can get credit for a car from most dealers but with no credit history they will shag you death on the rate they will charge you. This isn't all bad as it will help you build up a credit history and you can re-negotiate your loan in about a year (get a loan at a lower rate to pay off the remainder of the car payments).

An alternative is go to Ford Dealer and they can get your credit history from Ford UK and give you credit based on that - you still won't get the rate an american with same credit history would as your credit history is not built up in the US.

Unless you are going to thriving metropolis (NY, Boston, Chicago and the like) public transport is non starter. Where I live the Transport authority has just announced it will be buying 2 more buses this make a total of 14 buses in the fleet serving a city the same size as Preston or Swindon.

Patrick
Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Patrick, 14 buses that must make quite a "Convoy". I can see that many in a traffic jam outside my window.

Reg. Frank R.

Raining NYC day & half. No beach or park for me.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:45 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by frrussre
Wow Patrick, 14 buses that must make quite a "Convoy". I can see that many in a traffic jam outside my window.

Reg. Frank R.

Raining NYC day & half. No beach or park for me.
Personally I don't beleive them as I have been here 3 months and not seen one bus! Where these 12 (soon be to 14) are I have no idea.

Patrick
Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surrey To Orlando

Originally posted by SteveDonovan
I personally never had any luck with cheap Auto Ins or using UK record. There has been several threads, regarding this subject. I will take a look. I remember a reply, saying they got a discount from AAA auto club (Kinda Franchised in US, different in each State). Also remember others. Me I started in excess of $3200 NYC, assigned risk pool.

Some good advice would be Buy American, better rates. Honda/ Toyota Etc, built in USA does not count. Avoid SUV's, they have a premium added.

Here in NY we can take a 5 hour "Defensive Driving Course", gets us 10% off. Sure other States have similar schemes.

Reg. Frank R.