Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Surrey to LA

Surrey to LA

Old Jul 21st 2023, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surrey to LA

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Anecdotal. Thank you for pointing out, I cannot edit that original post but will include this here so OP can see.
$220k is quite a decent salary even in Santa Monica, let alone LA: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rnia/BZA010221

Whether that single income is sufficient to support a family of 4 is a different matter. There are pockets of LA (e.g. the Valley) where money goes a long(er) way.
Old Jul 21st 2023, 12:46 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

For LA, the salary is lowball (although it does speak to quality of life you want). Decent daycare will be close to (EDIT: spoke to a friend: 2500-3200/month). I recently visited for work, for a month. Downtown was hot, full of homeless, and stank of urine and human feces were strewn near my hotel by the tent city.

CA is burning both figuratively and literally.
OP mentioned hubby’s job is in Culver City. IOW, not in DTLA. Different planet, so to speak.

Also, from my understanding, pre-pandemic, DTLA was up and coming. DTLA has not weathered the pandemic all that well.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Jul 21st 2023 at 12:49 am.
Old Jul 21st 2023, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Xxmgxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. It’s scary how expensive LA is. We will have to rethink. We known that the single income won’t be ideal that’s why we are trying to get the green card ASAP. Luckily I work in the industry which is quite big in LA so if I match my UK salary (lead level) we should be fine. Our older boy will be ready for the public school by then. If not- we will have a nice time in SoCa (on a budget) Reg loosing jobs- it’s my husband friend company who has been trying to get him over for ages so unless he bankrupts (which is unlikely) we are safe. 🤞
Old Jul 21st 2023, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughter works for a company based close to Culver City and lived for 6 years in Santa Monica in a rented apartment before buying a house in Mid City LA where she lived for 4 years before moving back to England. (She still works for the same company but from home now, traveling back a couple of times a year).

The light rail, that runs from Santa Monica to LA stops at Culver City and is very good. Her income is well over $300k/year and she is single with no children so could easily afford to live there and after 4 years sold the house she had bought for $800k for $1.2m at the end of 2022.
Old Jul 21st 2023, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Xxmgxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Xxmgxx
Thanks everyone. It’s scary how expensive LA is. We will have to rethink. We known that the single income won’t be ideal that’s why we are trying to get the green card ASAP. Luckily I work in the industry which is quite big in LA so if I match my UK salary (lead level) we should be fine. Our older boy will be ready for the public school by then. If not- we will have a nice time in SoCa (on a budget) Reg loosing jobs- it’s my husband friend company who has been trying to get him over for ages so unless he bankrupts (which is unlikely) we are safe. 🤞
they are also discussing working remotely after a couple of years, which would be ideal as we have a property (almost mortgage free) here in the UK which we will be renting out while away
Old Jul 21st 2023, 10:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If it's your husband's friends company that's been after him for ages, can you negotiate not moving until you have immigrant visa's in hand? We've now got ours, so total time was a just over 5 months from submitting to visas in hand, if they get cracking you could move early next year with a GC allowing you to work.
Old Jul 21st 2023, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

What’s your UK salary?

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Our daughter works for a company based close to Culver City and lived for 6 years in Santa Monica in a rented apartment before buying a house in Mid City LA where she lived for 4 years before moving back to England. (She still works for the same company but from home now, traveling back a couple of times a year).

The light rail, that runs from Santa Monica to LA stops at Culver City and is very good. Her income is well over $300k/year and she is single with no children so could easily afford to live there and after 4 years sold the house she had bought for $800k for $1.2m at the end of 2022.
Sounds like either tech giant and/or senior executive salary. Hardly representative of typical salaries in LA.
Old Jul 21st 2023, 9:11 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

they are also discussing working remotely after a couple of years, which would be ideal as we have a property (almost mortgage free) here in the UK which we will be renting out while away
My advice is to read a lot more threads on here…since you own a house in the UK and may have certain other assets in the UK and become a PR here it has short, medium and long term implications.

You need to get a handle on how tax on your rental will work in the US, the tax implications of selling that house now and 3 or more years after you move… hint a single day can make a huge difference…

You need to understand that certain investments in the UK can be a bigger issue here…

And that if you become a long term LPR and then decide to leave there can be an exit tax if your assets are above a threshold etc….

2 other things to look up FBAR and Class 2 NIC. Plenty of threads on here.
Old Jul 22nd 2023, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone

Sounds like either tech giant and/or senior executive salary. Hardly representative of typical salaries in LA.
Correct (tech giant), but I mentioned it to confirm that even at that salary she couldn’t afford to buy a house except in what she called “The Hood”. She would have loved to continue to live in Santa Monica but the rents were extremely high and the house prices well out of her range.
Old Jul 22nd 2023, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Correct (tech giant), but I mentioned it to confirm that even at that salary she couldn’t afford to buy a house except in what she called “The Hood”. She would have loved to continue to live in Santa Monica but the rents were extremely high and the house prices well out of her range.
It’s not unlike London. Typically you pair up with someone, usually a romantic partner.
Old Jul 22nd 2023, 7:34 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I actually live in LA. Been in our current house for 28 years now. With the children grown (youngest just turned 40) we would love to downsize but the tax penalty of capital gains strongly militates against that until either my wife or I pass away. That said, spouse and I have discussed that the survivor would purchase a condominium townhouse in Culver City. We have friends who live in Raintree community in Culver City and like it very much. It is a child friendly environment. See also this link

There are also rentals there. We have several friends who have rented in such developments and later purchased another townhouse when it came on the market.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Jul 22nd 2023 at 7:36 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2023, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I actually live in LA. Been in our current house for 28 years now. With the children grown (youngest just turned 40) we would love to downsize but the tax penalty of capital gains strongly militates against that until either my wife or I pass away. That said, spouse and I have discussed that the survivor would purchase a condominium townhouse in Culver City. We have friends who live in Raintree community in Culver City and like it very much. It is a child friendly environment. See also this link

There are also rentals there. We have several friends who have rented in such developments and later purchased another townhouse when it came on the market.
Trying to help the OP a bit more, rather than pessimistic (me, not you). Do you have any insight as to current childcare/daycare costs?

Also, for a young/mid-age professional with family, would 220k be enough? Hard to answer but my gut feeling is no. Although, rent/childcare etc etc does all factor in
Old Jul 24th 2023, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trying to help the OP a bit more, rather than pessimistic (me, not you). Do you have any insight as to current childcare/daycare costs?

Also, for a young/mid-age professional with family, would 220k be enough? Hard to answer but my gut feeling is no. Although, rent/childcare etc etc does all factor in
My two cents is that a single income $220k does not require childcare as one parent is at home. When the other parent starts working, the income will be higher and can consequently afford childcare then.
Old Jul 24th 2023, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
My two cents is that a single income $220k does not require childcare as one parent is at home. When the other parent starts working, the income will be higher and can consequently afford childcare then.
$hit you are right, although some would balance sending them to daycare anyway I guess. From a financial standpoint though, yes completely agree.

220k without that expense would fly very well (im hedging a lot here)
Old Jul 24th 2023, 5:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

$hit you are right, although some would balance sending them to daycare anyway I guess. From a financial standpoint though, yes completely agree.

220k without that expense would fly very well (im hedging a lot here)
See post #21 - definitely doable, assuming that rent of acceptable housing can be held to a reasonable budget, and they don't buy fancy cars and eat out too often. If they allow the housing budget to be broken, things could get tight very quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.