Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Surrey to LA

Surrey to LA

Old Jul 16th 2023, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surrey to LA

As per above childcare is expensive too...... some quotes for childcare in LA I've read about are in the region of $1.5K per month, per child - depending on how many days of care you would require.
Something else to take into account, if you plan to work yourself.
Old Jul 16th 2023, 11:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
As per above childcare is expensive too...... some quotes for childcare in LA I've read about are in the region of $1.5K per month, per child ......
That sounds on the low side to me - I would expect $2,500/mth/child or even higher for good quality child care in LA - we were paying $1k/mth for our daughter 12-13 years ago in NC, which is a relatively low cost area of the US, and at the rate the fees were climbing, I would expect it to be around $1,600/mth now.

There is a huge difference between cheap and good quality child care, with the basic end of the market being "in home daycare", meaning in someone's home. What we discovered in NC was that dropping from $1,000 to $800, moved from a top quality custom-built child care facility with full-time professional staff, to one that was less than acceptable to us - when looking for what we wanted for our daughter we decided it simply wasn't worth trying to save $200. A significant part of the experience, for our daughter, we fairly soon discovered was the, behaviour of a few of the other children, with some of them causing signficant problems (disruptive behaviour), until a change of ownership led to a change in the way the facility was funded and the customer base changed. There isn't a good way to put this, but the change literally priced-out the trouble makers - so bear in mind that you aren't just shopping for good facilities and professional staff to look after your child(ren), but your child is also going to be impacted by the other children in the facility.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 16th 2023 at 11:34 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2023, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you are probably correct - I just took my figure from a website "Cost Guide for Los Angeles day care/preschool"

For full-time, full-day care in Los Angeles, the average cost across age groups ranged from $268 to $4,220 per month -- with an average price of $1,430 per month.

Yikes......
Old Jul 17th 2023, 1:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you are probably correct - I just took my figure from a website "Cost Guide for Los Angeles day care/preschool"

For full-time, full-day care in Los Angeles, the average cost across age groups ranged from $268 to $4,220 per month -- with an average price of $1,430 per month.

Yikes......
Yeah, I would say our $1k/mth in 2010-2012 in Charlotte is probably around the $3,500 figure today in LA. ..... And I am certain that the lower end of the range you quoted, even up to the average figure you quoted, are for in-home day care.
Old Jul 17th 2023, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
Congrats! I don’t think a lot of workers in LA make more than $220k, those who do, fall in the very minority
That is probably true, but then look how many live in poverty? On the other side what others earn is never a good guideline as you need to look at all factors. Person A could be making $100K with one child and is mortgage free so maybe better off than person B making $200K with 2 children and renting. https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/n...-a-home-in-la/

If one is happy to rent a 2 bed apartment that will probably be more than enough, that could change once the kids are older.
Old Jul 17th 2023, 4:49 pm

Congrats! I don’t think a lot of workers in LA make more than $220k, those who do, fall in the very minority. Pasadena is nice. Does your husband need to go into the office daily?
For someone offered a job overseas, it not so much as can you survive on the pay offered, but "do you want to?" Either [1] the money needs to meet your expectations (whatever they are, and for most I would suspect that means "more than barely scraping by"), OR [2] the pay is adequate/ tolerable but job is a relatively short-term stepping stone to a better job with higher pay, OR [3] the pay is adequate/ tolerable but job is a limited assignment, after which you return home with some work, and non-work experiences.

Given the well known and oft-discussed very high cost of living in LA, and similar discussions we have had here on BE pereviously in relation to New York, I would guess that $220k is probably in the category of either [2] or [3] above, and that someone who is offered $220k is either on their way to a higher paid role, or will want more from life than $220k in LA can provide and will either return home with the experience under their belt, or relocate to a lower cost area if they can't increase their pay in LA.

$22k/yr = $18,333/mth, which is probably going to leave around $11k/mth after tax. If you can find a satisfactory apartment for $4k/mth, that will leave $7k for everything else, which might be spent as follows:

$1,200 for food and household consumables (the federal govt publishes data, and its around $300/person/mth irrespective of age), $250 for clothing (that may too low),
$300 for utilities (would be more for a house),
$1,000 for vehicle finance (2), That'll get you a saloon and smaller SUV, premium brand or larger vehicles cost a lot more.
$250 for petrol (depending on commute, that could easily be more)
$250 for insurance (insurance is expensive for new drivers),
$600 for meals out (one per week, chain restaurant, @ $150),
$500 holidays/ travel ($6k/yr),
$1,100 pension savings (10% of net pay),
$200 phones,
$400 treats/ days out,
$100 internet/sat/cable (could easily be $250+ with sports and/or movie channels), and
$500 for contingencies/ things I have forgotten.

That, by my calculation leaves $350.

So $220k sounds doable if you can find an apartment for $4k, but if your housing expense is greater than that it will soon start to impact what you can afford to spend on everything else, and be wary of thinking you can survive with only one vehicle, even in a city like LA, unless your husband is able to walk to work, and wants to, given the heat in the summer. With two children you do NOT want to have to rely on public transport in LA.

And don't forget day care, discussed above, if you're going to work. I don't know what you do, but with two children you could easily find yourself working exclusively to pay for acceptable daycare!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 17th 2023 at 4:55 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2023, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

The upside if the spouse works is the additional source of income which could offset childcare costs.

Unless you work for a tech firm or media company in LA, $220k is not a bad salary. It is nearly not as expensive as NYC. I lived in both, supporting the family with one income.
Old Jul 18th 2023, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

The upside if the spouse works is the additional source of income which could offset childcare costs.

Unless you work for a tech firm or media company in LA, $220k is not a bad salary. It is nearly not as expensive as NYC. I lived in both, supporting the family with one income.
The only downside would be if one loses that job, how likely would it be that they receive the same salary? Then maybe it it important to know what a common salary would be.
Old Jul 18th 2023, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The only downside would be if one loses that job, how likely would it be that they receive the same salary? Then maybe it it important to know what a common salary would be.
For what it’s worth, they could both lose their jobs.
Old Jul 20th 2023, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

For LA, the salary is lowball (although it does speak to quality of life you want). Decent daycare will be close to (EDIT: spoke to a friend: 2500-3200/month). I recently visited for work, for a month. Downtown was hot, full of homeless, and stank of urine and human feces were strewn near my hotel by the tent city.

CA is burning both figuratively and literally.

Last edited by PetrifiedExPat; Jul 20th 2023 at 3:21 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2023, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

I want to add, that is 2500-3200/month, per child. In our MA daycare you would get a 10% discount on the second child. It gets cheaper as they get older, but not by much.
Old Jul 20th 2023, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
For LA, the salary is lowball
Source?
Old Jul 20th 2023, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Source?
Anecdotal. Thank you for pointing out, I cannot edit that original post but will include this here so OP can see.
Old Jul 20th 2023, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Anecdotal. Thank you for pointing out, I cannot edit that original post but will include this here so OP can see.
I think we have frightened off the OP with all the doom and gloom we have portrayed about living in LA even with a 200K salary - whoops
Old Jul 20th 2023, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think we have frightened off the OP with all the doom and gloom we have portrayed about living in LA even with a 200K salary - whoops
My opinion is skewed by the piles of human poo 2-3 blocks from the convention center.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.