Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Surrender I-94?

Surrender I-94?

Old Nov 14th 2006, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of
Default Surrender I-94?

I am leaving for overseas next week, I will only be away for a week. Do I surrender my I-94 and get a new one back? My I-94 is valid until April 5 ,2008.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 4:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surrender I-94?

Originally Posted by abboy
I am leaving for overseas next week, I will only be away for a week. Do I surrender my I-94 and get a new one back? My I-94 is valid until April 5 ,2008.
There's an immigration forum for these questions.

But anyway, I don't think you need to surrender the I-94.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 4:22 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Why not? I thought you only hang on to it if you go to Canada or Mexico?

The airlines have always taken mine, even for short trips.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

You MUST surrender or you may have issues getting back in. The exceptions that I know of are Canada and Mexico. The airline should remove it at check in anyway.

When you re-enter you get a new one (fill out on the plane) which will be valid to the end of your visa
Old Nov 14th 2006, 4:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Why not? I thought you only hang on to it if you go to Canada or Mexico?

The airlines have always taken mine, even for short trips.
depends where he's going, he said over sea's, and Canada and Mexico are still, barely, are overseas
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
depends where he's going, he said over sea's, and Canada and Mexico are still, barely, are overseas

What are these oceans called then, Roberto mio caro?
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
You MUST surrender or you may have issues getting back in. The exceptions that I know of are Canada and Mexico. The airline should remove it at check in anyway.

When you re-enter you get a new one (fill out on the plane) which will be valid to the end of your visa
I always do; when I visited the Bahamas this year, the check-in woman for the cruise line told me I didn't have to surrender the I-94... which I don't know is OK or not, but I gave it in anyway.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

I don't know whether it's funny or sad the amount of people that refer to Canada as overseas.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I always do; when I visited the Bahamas this year, the check-in woman for the cruise line told me I didn't have to surrender the I-94... which I don't know is OK or not, but I gave it in anyway.
Did the cruise line ask to keep your PP until you returned to the US? They did mine and I refused.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Did the cruise line ask to keep your PP until you returned to the US? They did mine and I refused.
PP = Passport?

They certainly did not!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
PP = Passport?

They certainly did not!

We used Royal Caribbean...upon check in they were quite insistent that they kept our Passports.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob

I am going to Australia. Is it the airlines who will take the I-94 not the immigration?
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We used Royal Caribbean...upon check in they were quite insistent that they kept our Passports.
I'd never give that up, unless maybe to someone in immigration.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by abboy
I am going to Australia. Is it the airlines who will take the I-94 not the immigration?
Yes, the check-in staff should take it, if they don't see it (which happened to me one year and caused a stir when I re-entered the US 2 years later) you must insist they take it from you - it's your responsibility to make sure they take it.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The I-94 determines the maximum period of the admittance, it would not matter if you stayed 1 day or the full period, a new one is required if you seek to come back in.

It is true that sometimes you may be re-admitted for the remainder of you VWP stay if you visit Canada for a few days as part of a US trip. But OP said overseas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.