Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Surprise! Surprise! 221(g) received at Chennai consulate

Surprise! Surprise! 221(g) received at Chennai consulate

Old Jul 30th 2002, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Kimmini is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Surprise! Surprise! 221(g) received at Chennai consulate

My husband went for his K3 visa interview today in Chennai (after having it postponed from the 26th). After reading the horror stories of this happening all-too-frequently in Mumbai, I was a little concerned.

However, it doesn't ask for any specific documentation on this form, so I'm a little puzzled. However, they found out that I was in Chennai with my husband, so they wrote on the 221(g) to "Please visit our office tomorrow along with your spouse (U.S. citizen)."

Is there still hope for us?

Thanks,
Kim
Old Jul 30th 2002, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Surprise! Surprise! 221(g) received at Chennai consulate

Hi Kim,
Was 221(g) stamped in his passport? Or was he just given the 221(g) slip?
If it is not in his passport this is India's way of telling you they were "behind" and hand not finished for the day with you, and they will resume tommorrow.
Let us know,
Best wishes for tommorrow
Old Jul 31st 2002, 12:20 am
Mrtravel

Maybe, since you are there, they want to talk to you in order to compare stories.

Kimmini wrote:
    >
    > My husband went for his K3 visa interview today in Chennai (after having it
    > postponed from the 26th). After reading the horror stories of this happening
    > all-too-frequently in Mumbai, I was a little concerned.
    >
    > However, it doesn't ask for any specific documentation on this form, so I'm a
    > little puzzled. However, they found out that I was in Chennai with my husband, so
    > they wrote on the 221(g) to "Please visit our office tomorrow along with your
    > spouse (U.S. citizen)."
    >
    > Is there still hope for us?
    >
    > Thanks, Kim
    >
    > --

Old Jul 31st 2002, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Kimmini is an unknown quantity at this point

In fact, there wasn't a stamp placed in my husband's passport, and he was at the consulate til 5:00 p.m. yesterday, til they gave him the 221(g). So, I guess they were rushed to get out of there...

Though, they tortured us again today by leaving us sitting in there until 4:45 p.m. I was getting worried they would tell us to come back tomorrow, but they called me in for the interview just to compare stories, then once again called in my husband. It was nearly 6:00 before we were finished...but....

WE FINALLY GOT THE VISA APPROVED!

I'm still in doubt as to why those chose this process of having me come to the consulate. Does that mean it would have been denied by the evidence just presented by my husband???? Anyways, if anyone else is going thru a tough consulate, then maybe it is worth flying out to be with your spouse for the process.

I'm sooo thankful that we got the approval, but I am still disappointed at the way the consulate runs things in Chennai. But, rather than complain to them, I figured we would walk away as fast as we could before they changed their minds..

It's definitely worth the wait and frustration of going thru the K3. All the prior disappointments seem to fly out the window......

Kim
Old Jul 31st 2002, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations!

Ah the multifacted Indian 221(g)! It appears there is one that IF your passport is NOT stamped but you are just given the 221(g). It means they have not finished having fun with you and want you to come back to play somemore. What a way to scare the pants/panties off of you!

Remember to post your experience on the pages that nagmother (Rete) gives.

Ok go pack and come home! Welcome to the next part of your life.

Best wishes,
Old Jul 31st 2002, 5:38 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Congratulations, Kimmini. Happy to hear of the positive outcome
Ranjini
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 1:20 pm
Betastar

On 31 Jul 2002 14:21:32 GMT, Kimmini <[email protected]> wrote:

>WE FINALLY GOT THE VISA APPROVED!

Congratulations! Despite the bs they put you through, this is what counts =)