British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Surname "kind of" different on Passport/Green Card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/surname-kind-different-passport-green-card-842949/)

Hawkini Sep 11th 2014 6:13 pm

Surname "kind of" different on Passport/Green Card

I recently got around to changing my step daughters name on her UK passport - but first changed her green card.

So her name WAS (changed names) Sarah Mary Smith

Her court order says changed to Sarah Mary Smith Cooper.

So her Green card (due to middle name shenanigans on the form):

Sarah (first) M (middle initial) and Cooper as last name - the Smith is dropped.

The passport office in the UK has said that they can't drop Smith as the surname, so her passport will be:

Sarah Mary (forenames)

Smith Cooper (surname) (no hyphen).

Will this be a problem at immigration? I.e. both Green Card and passport have the same "last" name of Cooper but Smith appears nowhere on the Green Card, but listed as a "surname" on the passport?

Pulaski Sep 11th 2014 6:51 pm

Re: Surname "kind of" different on Passport/Green Card

It shouldn't be a problem, not least because both documents have pictures on them. I used to have a green card with my last name wrong, due to a SNAFU when the GC was issued. My last name had been changed to a different English word, thought not one ever used as a name as far as I am aware - like Jones changed to Bones. :blink: I was told by the immigration officer at JFK that it was important to carry it, and that the error was not important to immigration. FWIW my nationality as documented on my GC was also wrong, recording me as being Irish! :frown: ..... And these errors were made on a green card issued just two months after 9/11. :huh:

Hawkini Sep 11th 2014 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11401543)
It shouldn't be a problem, not least because both documents have pictures on them. I used to have a green card with my last name wrong, due to a SNAFU when the GC was issued. My last name had been changed to a different English word, thought not one ever used as a name as far as I am aware - like Jones changed to Bones. :blink: I was told by the immigration officer at JFK that it was important to carry it, and that the error was not important to immigration. FWIW my nationality as documented on my GC was also wrong, recording me as being Irish! :frown: ..... And these errors were made on a green card issued just two months after 9/11. :huh:

I was thinking it wouldn't be an issue at immigration. However, don't airlines require documentation to exactly match? I.e. if the passport said surname was "Blah Smith", and green card said "Smith" - would they assume the "Blah" part was just a middle name?

Pulaski Sep 11th 2014 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkini (Post 11401559)
I was thinking it wouldn't be an issue at immigration. However, don't airlines require documentation to exactly match? I.e. if the passport said surname was "Blah Smith", and green card said "Smith" - would they assume the "Blah" part was just a middle name?

I don't recall ever showing my GC to airline staff. :unsure:

Hawkini Sep 11th 2014 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11401564)
I don't recall ever showing my GC to airline staff. :unsure:

We visited the UK over the summer, and Virgin Atlantic wanted to see all our green cards...

Pulaski Sep 11th 2014 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkini (Post 11401573)
We visited the UK over the summer, and Virgin Atlantic wanted to see all our green cards...

Your defence/ explanation (to the airlines) has to be then, that you submitted the correct documentation to USCIS and that is what they returned. And to the extent it was apparently deliberately issued that way it is "correct" and not subject to being corrected/ replaced.

Hawkini Sep 11th 2014 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11401585)
Your defence/ explanation (to the airlines) has to be then, that you submitted the correct documentation to USCIS and that is what they returned. And to the extent it was apparently deliberately issued that way it is "correct" and not subject to being corrected/ replaced.

Wow - never thought of that - perfect! Let's see if it works! :fingerscrossed:

(that sounds REALLY sarcastic but I assure you it is NOT :) )

Pulaski Sep 11th 2014 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkini (Post 11401602)
Wow - never thought of that - perfect! Let's see if it works! :fingerscrossed: ....

:fingerscrossed: I think you'll be OK. :)

wtkp0u Sep 11th 2014 9:40 pm

Mine don't match and have only been questioned once in 20+ yrs, by a French cop doing an extra check on the the jetway at the door of the plane at CDG.

Routinely show GC to airline staff, presumably so they don't have to fly me back again if I can't get in to US. I think the passport has to match the ticket.

Hotscot Sep 12th 2014 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11401585)

The other day...Experian asking me credit related questions.
They then said that I failed to give the correct answers.
I pointed out that the answers were entirely correct and that it was their response to my correct answer that was incorrect.

Got it sorted out after much headbanging and gnashing of teeth. It's amazing that Americans have their financial well being influenced by these nincompoops.

Jscl Sep 15th 2014 12:18 am

Make sure if you book airline tickets that the name on the ticket matches the PASSPORT. Those two names have to match.