Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SureDeposit or three months upfront?

SureDeposit or three months upfront?

Old Dec 11th 2013, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

e3geek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SureDeposit or three months upfront?

Hi, I am talking to a managed apartment complex and they are happy for me to sign the lease. But they are asking me to either give $262 to a company called SureDeposit or give them 3 months rent in advance. I have got mixed reviews about Suredeposit on the internet. Has anyone got any experience with them?
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SureDeposit or three months upfront?

Never heard of them.

But up to 3 months rent as a deposit isn't unheard of. Depends how it's being put about though. Is that first and last months rent, plus a months worth kept as a deposit? That's common as chips and the month deposit they put in a savings account and when you move out and if you both agree the place is in the same condition, minus fair wear and tear, you get it back plus any interest it might have earned.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:14 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Never heard of them.

But up to 3 months rent as a deposit isn't unheard of. Depends how it's being put about though. Is that first and last months rent, plus a months worth kept as a deposit? That's common as chips and the month deposit they put in a savings account and when you move out and if you both agree the place is in the same condition, minus fair wear and tear, you get it back plus any interest it might have earned.
Yep, I had to do this when I moved over. First and last months rent and security deposit *1 months rent). I think I'd do that over suredeposit tbh. It's fairly standard and depending on where you are there are laws in place to protect the deposit, especially if you're going through a realtor.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We did this at a complex in Washington. I had never heard of it either, and was a bit dubious. But it worked out cheaper than paying the security deposit, so we did it. We ended up breaking the lease to move back to the UK, so we can't really speak to how it works about getting your deposit back at the end of your lease (we forfeited it since we broke the lease).

That's about all I can tell you about it.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:24 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
We did this at a complex in Washington. I had never heard of it either, and was a bit dubious. But it worked out cheaper than paying the security deposit, so we did it. We ended up breaking the lease to move back to the UK, so we can't really speak to how it works about getting your deposit back at the end of your lease (we forfeited it since we broke the lease).

It's only cheaper upfront. You don't lose the security deposit or first/last months rent so although you're fronting up cash, so long as the property is in good condition, you get your money back (or applied to your rent).
Old Dec 11th 2013, 7:29 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by e3geek
Hi, I am talking to a managed apartment complex and they are happy for me to sign the lease. But they are asking me to either give $262 to a company called SureDeposit or give them 3 months rent in advance. I have got mixed reviews about Suredeposit on the internet. Has anyone got any experience with them?
... what state are you in? leases and its terms are just as negotiable as its an agreement between two parties. A deposit isn't a substitution for rent nor is rent a substitution for a deposit ... so if you breach the lease, make sure you have an understanding about what happens to the last month's rent you paid upfront... (its likely you forfeit it as liquidated damages).

Never heard of SureDeposit. A security deposit should always be held in somesort of escrow/trust account of that of the management company your dealing with. I personally don't think its a good idea of involve such an outside vendor handle such funds.
Originally Posted by Bob
Never heard of them.

... plus any interest it might have earned.
- not always the case, depends on state and/or local laws.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 7:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9

- not always the case, depends on state and/or local laws.
True, but more often than not, the interest from the deposit doesn't go to the landlord.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well the thing is I need to pay three months rent in advance and $170 non-refundable fee. Or pay $262 to SureDeposit and pay nothing. I am getting a six months lease.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, did you pay SureDeposit or the actual deposit to the landlord?
Old Dec 12th 2013, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

It's just a bonding company and you still owe any costs that the bonding company had to pay (broken lease, damages, etc.) and those will show as bad debts on your credit history. The bonding company can also sue you for any costs that they incurred.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michael
It's just a bonding company and you still owe any costs that the bonding company had to pay (broken lease, damages, etc.) and those will show as bad debts on your credit history. The bonding company can also sue you for any costs that they incurred.
Will the landlord sue you if you fail to pay any liabilities when you move out? Guess they can as well.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Will the landlord sue you if you fail to pay any liabilities when you move out? Guess they can as well.
It depends on whether the bond covers all the damages. For the apartment complex, the bond likely covers the same as what you would pay except first months rent since you'll be paying that in advance. So it likely covers 1 month security deposit and last month's rent. If you fulfill your lease term, then it likely only covers physical damages to a maximum of 1 month's rent.

Last edited by Michael; Dec 12th 2013 at 2:39 am.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 2:19 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

- throw sh!t against the wall and see what sticks .....

One can sue anyone for anything - its up to the courts to determine which claim prevails...
Old Dec 12th 2013, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, did you pay SureDeposit or the actual deposit to the landlord?
We paid the SureDeposit. It worked out ok, despite us breaking the lease.