Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

'Support our troops' car ribbons

'Support our troops' car ribbons

Old Jan 14th 2005, 8:00 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'Support our troops' car ribbons

It seems every single car in Pennsylvania has one of these magnetic ribbons on the back of them. If its not 'Support Our Troops' then its the 'POW MIA'
or pink breast cancer ones or 'God Bless the USA'.
Someone somewhere has come up with a brilliant idea and is now laughing all the way to the bank. None of these 'support our troops' etc magnets actually go towards any kind of charity to support the troops, all they're doing is lining the pockets of predominantly Walmart, and where ever else they are sold. Wouldn't it be a bit more supportive to give the $2 or however much they cost to war vets charities and the like?
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:31 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Support our troops' car ribbons

Originally Posted by SarahUK
It seems every single car in Pennsylvania has one of these magnetic ribbons on the back of them. If its not 'Support Our Troops' then its the 'POW MIA'
or pink breast cancer ones or 'God Bless the USA'.
Someone somewhere has come up with a brilliant idea and is now laughing all the way to the bank. None of these 'support our troops' etc magnets actually go towards any kind of charity to support the troops, all they're doing is lining the pockets of predominantly Walmart, and where ever else they are sold. Wouldn't it be a bit more supportive to give the $2 or however much they cost to war vets charities and the like?

Good idea. I have however seen some of the those yellow ribbons a bit more personalized, like support our daughter or son.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 1:04 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is a military member and at present is not deployed, however if you would like to help family and military members who have loved ones who are away you can buy a book of stamps or a phone card to donate at your local post office, this I would think is a better idea to show your support.
BTW- is there anything China does not produce?!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 1:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
BTW- is there anything China does not produce?!
I've been bemoaning this for a while, too.

Lou Dobbs is always going on about job losses, exporting of America, etc. (sending jobs overseas). But until the average American says "Hell, I won't buy a $5 toy from China, I'll pay the $10 for an American-made one!", nothing's going to change.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Regardless of where they are made, the "Support our troops" car ribbons are hokey.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 2:22 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Regardless of where they are made, the "Support our troops" car ribbons are hokey.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't be telling that to the spouse or parent of someone serving there.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 3:04 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Perhaps, but I wouldn't be telling that to the spouse or parent of someone serving there.
Thank you Cindy, while I agree they are not the best idea in the world, families of sevice men and women are very proud of the job they are doing, even though they may not agree with it!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Thank you Cindy, while I agree they are not the best idea in the world, families of sevice men and women are very proud of the job they are doing, even though they may not agree with it!

Proud of what exactly? Following the CIC's orders to start an illegal war? Not finding WMDs? Killing untold number of civilians? Occupying another country? Spending 100s of billions of dollars?

Tolerant I can understand. But I can imagine why anyone is proud to be in Iraq. Its a complete mess that is only going to further erode our security and 'freedom'.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by cindyabs
You're right. I had better spend a couple of bucks on a car decoration, so no-one thinks my prayers are inadequate.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by DCMark
Proud of what exactly? Following the CIC's orders to start an illegal war? Not finding WMDs? Killing untold number of civilians? Occupying another country? Spending 100s of billions of dollars?

Tolerant I can understand. But I can imagine why anyone is proud to be in Iraq. Its a complete mess that is only going to further erode our security and 'freedom'.
I did say that they may not agree with the reasons of why they are there, but proud maybe that they are helping liberate a country that would otherwise still be oppresed by Saddam, am I right in assuming that you do not have a family member who has or is seving in Iraq?
Old Jan 14th 2005, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

How can they be proud of invading Iraq? Iraq is NOT liberated, its 100x (10000x) more dangerous now than it was before the war. The average person's life is horrible.

Why is it relevant whether I have a member of my family there? The military supports, serves and reflects all of us. Sadly we no longer have a citizen-army but a professional force, which historically leads to a militaristic society. In WWII for example, we had a citizen army and everyone was involved.

But I do have a family member there, if it really matters.

I just don't understand how anyone, except those paid to promote and protect Bush, can think this war was a good idea. We have created a haven for terrorists and did not find WMDs. Nothing has worked out and its costs us billions.

Admitting the war was a horrible mistake actually shows real respect to the troops who died, rather than propagandic slogans.

I did say that they may not agree with the reasons of why they are there, but proud maybe that they are helping liberate a country that would otherwise still be oppresed by Saddam, am I right in assuming that you do not have a family member who has or is seving in Iraq?
Old Jan 14th 2005, 3:49 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

, but proud maybe that they are helping liberate a country that would otherwise still be oppresed by Saddam,
Oh dear...

Reality check maybe needed here!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Oh dear...

Reality check maybe needed here!
Well I suppose that you must know so much more about this than I, my husband was a military member before the war on Iraq, do you think he could just turn around and say " oh sorry Mr President, don't fancy going to Iraq today, could I please stay at home" get real. The stickers we are talking about are to support the troops over there, not to support a war, while I do not support a war, I do most certainly support my husband and friends spouses who have no choice in this matter. Troops are deployed in many other places not just Iraq, but I assume you know all about that also, do we not support these men and women? You must be a very harsh person to not do so.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Read the paper, look at what is happening there. Even try some alternate news sources. Educate yourself. Don't believe what is shoved down your throats. Its a disaster there, the biggest mistake of a generation and it will kill many more of us and take lots of 'treasure'.

You raise an interesting point. What orders are illegitimate? The Nurernburg trials proved that soldiers must NOT follow illegal orders. A few brave souls decided to not fight in Iraq and they are probably in jail.

Where else do we have troops deployed that are really protecting us and not futhering US imperialism?

Honestly, I feel sorry for the troops, most of which entered the military based on their socio-economic situation and a wrong sense of nationalism. Support them? No more (and probably less) than I support teachers, firemen, etc.

Well I suppose that you must know so much more about this than I, my husband was a military member before the war on Iraq, do you think he could just turn around and say " oh sorry Mr President, don't fancy going to Iraq today, could I please stay at home" get real. The stickers we are talking about are to support the troops over there, not to support a war, while I do not support a war, I do most certainly support my husband and friends spouses who have no choice in this matter. Troops are deployed in many other places not just Iraq, but I assume you know all about that also, do we not support these men and women? You must be a very harsh person to not do so.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by DCMark
How can they be proud of invading Iraq? Iraq is NOT liberated, its 100x (10000x) more dangerous now than it was before the war. The average person's life is horrible.

Why is it relevant whether I have a member of my family there? The military supports, serves and reflects all of us. Sadly we no longer have a citizen-army but a professional force, which historically leads to a militaristic society. In WWII for example, we had a citizen army and everyone was involved.

But I do have a family member there, if it really matters.

I just don't understand how anyone, except those paid to promote and protect Bush, can think this war was a good idea. We have created a haven for terrorists and did not find WMDs. Nothing has worked out and its costs us billions.

Admitting the war was a horrible mistake actually shows real respect to the troops who died, rather than propagandic slogans.
So for the troops that are not serving in Iraq but Afganistan, how do you feel about them? They are still there, not as publicised but doing their job nontheless, they are serving to protect you, do we just pray for them or actively show we support them? Let me tell you, it means a lot to service members to know that they are not forgotten and people do think of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.