Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Super Size Me

Super Size Me

Old Nov 24th 2004, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Super Size Me

Originally Posted by Big D
By the way - Fast Food Nation is a very good book - well written in an entertaining style. Still eating the burgers - just try not to remember the details of the book!
Last McD burger I had was at Athens airport, it was 4 o'clock in the morning and I was desperate ... there was just something in me that needed it ... the shame!

The milkshakes are nice though ... not sure about the reports of pig fat being used though ...
Old Nov 24th 2004, 7:10 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
"Mechanically Recovered Meat" ... you've gotta love that phrase ... mmmm!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1482140.stm
Spinal cord in a bap. Mmmmmmmmmmm
Old Nov 24th 2004, 7:13 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Best of all, the DVD has some good bonus material
Ohh, yeah! And not to give this whole bonus thing away, BUT...

...when they put the McD's burgers and fries in the glass containers and watch them over time. They all grow mold failry quickly, but the french fries look like they've JUST been bought even after TEN WEEKS!!! *puke*
Old Nov 24th 2004, 7:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

yummy indeed

Ate Elk meat the other day, must say, was rather nice, but didn't half fart like a beast after tho *l*
Old Nov 24th 2004, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
yummy indeed

Ate Elk meat the other day, must say, was rather nice, but didn't half fart like a beast after tho *l*
Sounds great ... the meat that is ...

I've had some Icelandic Pony and Puffin, lovely stuff.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 7:23 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steffi
Ohh, yeah! And not to give this whole bonus thing away, BUT...

...when they put the McD's burgers and fries in the glass containers and watch them over time. They all grow mold failry quickly, but the french fries look like they've JUST been bought even after TEN WEEKS!!! *puke*
That was cool. Not keen on the fuzzy burgers they were making though
Old Nov 24th 2004, 8:30 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

If you like that sort of thing you may like this book:

----------------------------------
Fast Food Nation: What the All-American Meal Is Doing to the World
(Eric Schlosser)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...Fencoding=UTF8
----------------------------------

I've got it on order but have heard good reviews.

I read FFN about three years ago and it is an excellent book. Passed it onto my sis-in-law to read. She and her book club read it too.

I very much want to read the book that Schlosser wrote after Fast Food Nation- "Reefer Madness: Sex, Drugs, and Cheap Labor in the American Black Market". This is one I'll probably borrow from the library.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 24th 2004, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I read FFN about three years ago and it is an excellent book. Passed it onto my sis-in-law to read. She and her book club read it too.

I very much want to read the book that Schlosser wrote after Fast Food Nation- "Reefer Madness: Sex, Drugs, and Cheap Labor in the American Black Market". This is one I'll probably borrow from the library.

NC Penguin
I was going to order that one as well but I don't want to be carting a load of stuff over to Oz, I've lined-up FFN for some in-flight entertainment.

If you like stories of deception and intrigue in the fashion industry then "The Beauty Myth" by Naomi Wolf is also worth a read.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Earholes, eyeholes and arseholes, was how it was once described to me....

Remember, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but you can make a Ginster's cornish pastie....
Old Nov 24th 2004, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Big Vern
Earholes, eyeholes and arseholes, was how it was once described to me....

Remember, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but you can make a Ginster's cornish pastie....
It's the saveloys that get me ... what IS that stuff that's wrapped around em?
Old Nov 24th 2004, 9:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's the saveloys that get me ... what IS that stuff that's wrapped around em?
As long as I don't know...there lovely
Old Nov 26th 2004, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

yvonneg is an unknown quantity at this point

No Logo - found that one quite boring...
Fast Food Nation was good though and Supersize Me was FANTASTIC!!! I've vowed never to step inside a McD's again - was always aware of how bad the food can be but didn't realize you'd get so sick so quickly - that's the part that really shocked me....
Old Nov 26th 2004, 3:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Tho having said that, I think the food at the KFC in the UK was better than in the US...as bad as it was, it was less greasy and nasty back in blighty...
Old Nov 26th 2004, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by yvonneg
No Logo - found that one quite boring...
Fast Food Nation was good though and Supersize Me was FANTASTIC!!! I've vowed never to step inside a McD's again - was always aware of how bad the food can be but didn't realize you'd get so sick so quickly - that's the part that really shocked me....
I know what you mean about No Logo, it was a bit heavy on the statistics and detail but worth ploughing through anyway. It's probably the sort of book that you have to read a few times to get the important stuff to sink in.

Got my copy of FFN today so I'm sorted for in-flight entertainment
Old Nov 26th 2004, 5:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Got my copy of FFN today so I'm sorted for in-flight entertainment
Not gonna be watching the movies then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.