British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Super Audio Compact Disc (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/super-audio-compact-disc-195328/)

tony_2003 Dec 6th 2003 8:22 am

Super Audio Compact Disc

Or SACD for short.
Anyone listened to one yet? I got a free sampler CD with my Rolling Stone a couple weeks ago. The mag hailed it as "total musical imersion" or something to that effect. I was like "yeah whatever, how good can it be? it still looks like a normal CD"

How wrong I was, it's incredible! Even on my cheapo Sony discman it sounded amazing. One of the sampler songs was 'Money' by Pink Floyd, this 70's track sounded better than something recorded last week!

Anyway just wondered if anyone has heard anything on SACD yet and if they can hear a difference.

I'm sure no bugger will reply to this thread though :D

veryfunny Dec 6th 2003 8:46 am

Re: Super Audio Compact Disc

Originally posted by tony_2003
Or SACD for short.
Anyone listened to one yet? I got a free sampler CD with my Rolling Stone a couple weeks ago. The mag hailed it as "total musical imersion" or something to that effect. I was like "yeah whatever, how good can it be? it still looks like a normal CD"

How wrong I was, it's incredible! Even on my cheapo Sony discman it sounded amazing. One of the sampler songs was 'Money' by Pink Floyd, this 70's track sounded better than something recorded last week!

Anyway just wondered if anyone has heard anything on SACD yet and if they can hear a difference.

DVD A is much much better and SACD is a sony product, there will be more players that will be able to play DVD-A. Just look what happened to the mindisc.

tony_2003 Dec 6th 2003 5:07 pm

Havent heard DVD-A so can't compare...although from the research I've done, people are saying the SACD is better.

veryfunny Dec 7th 2003 1:59 am

Havent heard DVD-A so can't compare...although from the research I've done, people are saying the SACD is better.
DVD A is in 5.1.

Pulaski Dec 7th 2003 2:08 am

.... Anyway just wondered if anyone has heard anything on SACD yet and if they can hear a difference. ....
I haven't heard one, yet. I'll look out for them, ..... but do I need a special player? :confused:

veryfunny Dec 7th 2003 8:43 am

Originally posted by Pulaski
I haven't heard one, yet. I'll look out for them, ..... but do I need a special player? :confused:
Yes you do, there is an SACD/DVD A player now on the market.

veryfunny Dec 7th 2003 9:11 am

Originally posted by Pulaski
Yes you do, there is an SACD/DVD A player now on the market.

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/dvdplayers/157/

To be honest there is just not enough of both formats to really do a good test to establish which one is better.

dudleydowg Dec 7th 2003 9:22 am

Look on Amazon and see if you can get a divx player called a Yamada, I just got one off Amazon.co.uk it cost me £89 and it plays any file format burnt straight off a download, no need for dvd players anymore:)

ctwickman Dec 7th 2003 7:49 pm

Or SACD for short.

What you were listening to was a regular CD, not the SACD portion of the disc.

You need a SACD player in order to hear SACD. What you were listening to was just another compact disc. Though it says SACD, in order to actually play the SACD part of the disc a SACD player is required.