Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sunday roast at the pub..

Wikiposts

Sunday roast at the pub..

Old Dec 9th 2010, 2:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunday roast at the pub..

Originally Posted by RickWG
As we have now moved onto fish:
Yes, US fish sucks butt. I've tried every brand of *fish stick* available & not one of them tastes anywhere near as good as Birdseye fishfingers.
The big brands over here are a load of arse, but if you've Trader Joes, they've got really nice ones, though they're weird square cuts...good though, has fish in them and aren't a grease ball.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

I don't miss fish cakes at all...not when Dungeness crab cakes are in abundance. Another enormous tick in he box for moving to the PNW, the excellent choice and quality of the seafood.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Chugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Sixty miles from a British perspective is quite a distance, most definitely not local. In the UK a sixty miles car journey can most likely find you in a locality where the local people have a totally different accent, and even dialect in some instances, and perhaps one with a marked difference in overall climate. Local in British terms usually extends to about a ten to fifteen miles radius at the most. Beyond that you are in new territory.

When I once visited my grandparents who live just outside Ledbury, in Herefordshire, England, I met one of their neighbours, an elderly lady, who had never, ever travelled further than Gloucester in her entire life, just sixteen miles away. Sadly she is now deceased.

As for pub grub I have never had a crappy meal in any of the lovely old pubs in Herefordshire. Locally reared beef is always a speciality, and all cuts of lamb are readily available usually Welsh lamb, reckoned to be the very best. A rack of lamb Sunday lunch with all the trimmings at the Farmers Arms at Wellington Heath, near Ledbury, is something to die for.

With the many thousands of pubs all over the UK all offering foods of all kinds you are bound to encounter some who do not step up to the mark standards wise, but in my experience, both up here in Scotand or down in England (and Wales for that matter) the majority offer very good value, quality and choice.

Another fantastic pub for excellent food and service which I enjoyed last August very much indeed was The Old Willow House pub in the village of Watton, near Thetford, in Norfolk, England. A very varied menu, wide choice, amazingly good quality food, well dished up and very well served to you either in the bars or in the restaurant.

If eating in the bars rather than the restaurant you may well find yourself being drawn into the Pub Quiz if you happen to be there on quiz night.

I was staying in nearby Norwich, at the University of East Anglia, during the only really hot weekend last summer (how distant that now seems in the current abominably cold, snowy conditions) along with the Association for Roman Archaeology, visiting many of the ancient Roman sites in the Norfolk area. A great bunch of lads and lasses, we had a great time.

Will check out The Old Willow House Pub when I'm over there in March. Thanks.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 1:32 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

As we have now moved onto fish:
Yes, US fish sucks butt. I've tried every brand of *fish stick* available & not one of them tastes anywhere near as good as Birdseye fishfingers.
The Captain definitely trumps The Fisherman any day of the week in my book. Maybe its what you are brought up with.

Not so sure on the rest of the fish though....round our way sometimes its reasonable, sometimes its not so good - the thing that ticks me is the lack of consistency. And its kinda pricey too, but I guess a lot of that is a function of living a long way from the nearest fishing industry. I'm used to going down and buying it direct off the boats on the beach, or at most 100yds away from the fishing quay.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

It's an opinion, therefore it can't be incorrect. I've tried Gortons, it's utter crap.

& yeah, I start a thread pissing & moaning about driving halfway across LA for a minuscule plate of food & you suggest I travel across the entire continent for a piece of frigging fish???
Lol, well that's a first, usually It is the other way around, people complaining about the Huge proportions. Anyway since you seem to be in L.A, There are tons & tons of fresh fish available in L.A . If you live in the Valley, try Ocean City it is a huge Fish market with a lot's of Variety of Fresh seafood, stuffed Fillet of Sole, Philipino Fresh water shrimp the size of Kittens...lol.. Also try any upscale Grocery store for Gourmet fish cakes etc.. I would suggest Gelsons, Von's, Albersons.. That boxed pre-fab fish fingers stuff is not the way to go when you have Fish from the 7 Seas available at your fingertips..lol fishfingertips.

Last edited by Oregon4now; Dec 10th 2010 at 6:40 am. Reason: Typo
Old Dec 11th 2010, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chugabug
Will check out The Old Willow House Pub when I'm over there in March. Thanks.
I guarantee that you won't regret staying at the Willow House in Watton. It's a listed building (I'm sure you know what this means here in the UK) and set well back from the main road to Norwich which can be very busy at peak times so no traffic noise at all is audible from the bedrooms, which are situated in separate building of single storeys behind the main building housing the bars and restaurant and involving a distance of only a few metres.

The lady who runs the whole business 24/7 is an absolute treasure and nothing is too much trouble. She even installed a fridge in our room as the weather that weekend was very hot - about 33C - and we had bottles of soft drinks in our room, although, as with practically all UK hotels and pubs and inns, there are tea and coffee making facilities availabe in the bedrooms.

The food is excellent, breakfasts (full English or varied Continental) and the evening meals in either the restaurant or in the bars where you wil be served at your tables, and we found the locals in the bars very friendly and chatty and may well inveigle you to join in the quizzes or a game of darts. The local Norfolk ale is pretty good (the name of which I can't remember off hand now but is distinctly Norfolk - I now think it may be Wherry ale, wherries being the boats sailing on the nearby Norfolk Broads).

Customer reviews available on the websites. Enjoy. I like East Anglia and Norfolk in particular - it may be flat in its landscape (as confirmed by Noel Coward) but at least the beer isn't, and neither are the bar convos. Some of the older guys in the bar may have a strong dialect which may be as intelligble as Serbo Croat to some not used to hearing it.

http://www.thewillowhouse.co.uk/

Last edited by Lothianlad; Dec 11th 2010 at 2:29 am.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Chugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to behold

I guarantee that you won't regret staying at the Willow House in Watton. It's a listed building (I'm sure you know what this means here in the UK) and set well back from the main road to Norwich which can be very busy at peak times so no traffic noise at all is audible from the bedrooms, which are situated in separate building of single storeys behind the main building housing the bars and restaurant and involving a distance of only a few metres.

The lady who runs the whole business 24/7 is an absolute treasure and nothing is too much trouble. She even installed a fridge in our room as the weather that weekend was very hot - about 33C - and we had bottles of soft drinks in our room, although, as with practically all UK hotels and pubs and inns, there are tea and coffee making facilities availabe in the bedrooms.

The food is excellent, breakfasts (full English or varied Continental) and the evening meals in either the restaurant or in the bars where you wil be served at your tables, and we found the locals in the bars very friendly and chatty and may well inveigle you to join in the quizzes or a game of darts. The local Norfolk ale is pretty good (the name of which I can't remember off hand now but is distinctly Norfolk - I now think it may be Wherry ale, wherries being the boats sailing on the nearby Norfolk Broads).

Customer reviews available on the websites. Enjoy. I like East Anglia and Norfolk in particular - it may be flat in its landscape (as confirmed by Noel Coward) but at least the beer isn't, and neither are the bar convos. Some of the older guys in the bar may have a strong dialect which may be as intelligble as Serbo Croat to some not used to hearing it.

Thanks for the info and the link. I'm from Norfolk and look forward to going back to visit next year after five years. I will check out The Willow House.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 12:52 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to heading to East Anglia next time we're over, so I can do some family tree research, but THAT will take some serious planning because we're dependant on trains and buses. We usually do the self catering route.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Looking forward to heading to East Anglia next time we're over, so I can do some family tree research, but THAT will take some serious planning because we're dependant on trains and buses. We usually do the self catering route.
In the normal, statistial run of things weatherwise here in the UK East Anglia is the driest region of the entire British Isles and annual rainfall totals can be surprisingly low. Some years historically have seen as little as 300mm (about 12 inches) falling in parts of the region (Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex) during an entire calendar year, blowing clean out of the window the impression many people in other countries hold that England is permanently drenched by rain and shrouded in mist and fog. Apart from places along the south coast of England from Dorset to Kent, East Anglia also clocks up quite high sunshine totals over the course of a year.

I have to say here that the east and south east coast of Scotland, as well as the Moray Firth coastline of north east Scotland, also have surprisingly low annual rainfall totals and appreciative annual sunshine records, too. I had to get that one in.

Until the late 1950s and early 1960s East Anglia, and the large county of Norfolk, was criss-crossed with a network of railways lines, many of them single track, and lined with wee stations with cute names reflecting the very rural nature of the region - Stow Bedon, Wretham and Hockham, Whitwell and Reepham, Melton Constable, Corpusty and Saxthorpe, Mundesley on Sea, Buxton Lamas, Wighton Halt, Middleton Towers, Clenchwarton and very many other tiny rural, flower bedecked country railways stations and halts - plus the tiny station of Wolferton, used most by the Royal Family and their entourage when they were staying at nearby Sandringham House, just to the north of King's Lynn.

All these stations and halts were subsequenty closed down under the auspices of a bloke called Dr Beeching as a cost cutting exercise coinciding with the advent of universal car ownership. Nowadays only the main railway lines remain, mostly running down to Cambridge, Ipswich, Peterborough and Ely from Norwich, Great Yarmouth, Cromer, Thetford, Diss and Great Yarmouth and ultimately ending up at Liverpool Street train station in London. Of course going west you are heading for the Midlands or on up to the north if you change trains at places like Peterborough.

Bus services, both local and long distance, are reasonably good all over the East Anglian region.

Good luck. I loved the huge, wide open skies of East Anglia, sometimes with amazing cloud formations or just plain old cloudless blue - yes, honestly - bear in mind what I said earlier on. However, with an east wind blowing in winter it can be perishingly parky by UK standards, but on a lovely day in summer, clear sunny skies with hardly any breeze to speak of, as it was when I was down there last August, it was gorgeous if a wee bit on the hot side - over 32C the entire weekend, but suited most of us as we trailed round the many Roman sites found all over Norfolk, from Burgh Castle to Caistor St Edmund and Brancaster, et al.

Good luck. If you are doing family history researching in any particular area I believe it is great fun visiting various ancient churches and perusing old parish records and even churchyard headstones. It seems that local members of the clergy are always happy to be as helpful as they can. I might try it sometime myself, if I ever have the time.

Last edited by Lothianlad; Dec 12th 2010 at 2:31 am.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 2:46 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

All these stations and halts were subsequenty closed down under the auspices of a bloke called Dr Beeching as a cost cutting exercise coinciding with the advent of universal car ownership. Nowadays only the main railway lines remain, mostly running down to Cambridge, Ipswich, Peterborough and Ely from Norwich, Great Yarmouth, Cromer, Thetford, Diss and Great Yarmouth and ultimately ending up at Liverpool Street train station in London. Of course going west you are heading for the Midlands or on up to the north if you change trains at places like Peterborough.

Bus services, both local and long distance, are reasonably good all over the East Anglian region.
Not quite as bad as you paint it... There are still plenty of branch lines in the UK, for instance from Norwich to Cromer & Sheringham and from Norwich to Gt. Yarmouth.

I'm getting old & starting to think Norfolk would be better to retire to than Devon. Walking & cycling is more of an option for old bones when it is flat or with gentle gradients. Unfortunately you can't go half a mile in Devon without a steep hill up or down..
Old Dec 15th 2010, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
Lol, well that's a first, usually It is the other way around, people complaining about the Huge proportions. Anyway since you seem to be in L.A, There are tons & tons of fresh fish available in L.A . If you live in the Valley, try Ocean City it is a huge Fish market with a lot's of Variety of Fresh seafood, stuffed Fillet of Sole, Philipino Fresh water shrimp the size of Kittens...lol.. Also try any upscale Grocery store for Gourmet fish cakes etc.. I would suggest Gelsons, Von's, Albersons.. That boxed pre-fab fish fingers stuff is not the way to go when you have Fish from the 7 Seas available at your fingertips..lol fishfingertips.
I'm up in the High Desert...

As for the majority of meals being extremely large, thats very true.. however those meals aren't being served by some sour faced British bint who thinks rationing is still in force..

I mean seriously, it will confuse the kitchen staff to take a piece of lamb & put it on a plate next to a slice of beef? WTF???
Old Dec 15th 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

I'm up in the High Desert...

As for the majority of meals being extremely large, thats very true.. however those meals aren't being served by some sour faced British bint who thinks rationing is still in force..

I mean seriously, it will confuse the kitchen staff to take a piece of lamb & put it on a plate next to a slice of beef? WTF???
lol...

I posted #20 a decent list of where to get lamb in the HD.
I hope you have better luck with the Staff and the food.

Happy Holidays.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
Happy Holidays.
Happy holidays.....that sounds so funny. Is that greeting at this time of the year borne out of political correctness? Here in the UK this does not apply - it's either Happy Christmas or Merry Christmas so to all of you over there in America - HAPPY CHRISTMAS

Happy holidays is something we homebound Brits are much more lilely to say between June and September, but even then not quite in those words.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have eaten out at restaurants and, perhaps more frequently at pubs because of the general atmosphere of bonhomie and much more of an opportunity to chat with other people and have a good laugh in the process - in many parts of the UK not just here at home in Scotland (Edinburgh as you would expect has a whole host of excellent eating - and drinking - venues).

I reckon this latest report on British food and cuisine is absolutely spot on the button. Cheers!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...reat-food.html
Old Dec 16th 2010, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Happy holidays.....that sounds so funny. Is that greeting at this time of the year borne out of political correctness? Here in the UK this does not apply - it's either Happy Christmas or Merry Christmas so to all of you over there in America - HAPPY CHRISTMAS

Happy holidays is something we homebound Brits are much more lilely to say between June and September, but even then not quite in those words.
'Merry Christmas' is one of the most common ways to wish someone well on the holiday that celebrates the birth of Jesus. Non-Christians also celebrate during the season as well, with gifts and other traditions. An inclusive way of wishing someone well during the Holiday season is by wishing them 'Happy Holidays'.
At least that's how I was brought up with the understanding of the saying.
Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.