Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sunday roast at the pub..

Sunday roast at the pub..

Old Dec 7th 2010, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

TheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sunday roast at the pub..

I have found the Australian Lamb imported by Costco to fairly reasonable. Dont know its nationwide but they stock it here in Texas, regularly.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 5:40 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheLeester
I have found the Australian Lamb imported by Costco to fairly reasonable. Dont know its nationwide but they stock it here in Texas, regularly.
In the parts of Texas that have a Costco, anyway.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

TheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant futureTheLeester has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chartreuse
In the parts of Texas that have a Costco, anyway.
Ok the Houston part of Texas then. Sorry your missing out.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

I get mine in Costco, Safeway and Fred Meyer. Pricey though.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RickWG
I'm in Calif, High Desert area. I'm NOT driving 50+ miles down the hill to LA just to go shopping for a piece of meat.
From your quote I think perhaps I might be correct to assume you live in the Antelope Valley/ Valencia/ Agua Dulce areas.
You can buy fresh Lamb and Goat at Vallarta Supermarket,
Lamb Kabobs at Pars fine Persian cuisine in Palmdale are to DIE for
Malhis India cuisine in Lancaster also have some wonderful Lamb dishes, vindaloo and kormas, I could go on * slurp *
Google is indeed your friend if living in the HD, lot's of wonderful choices available, even a Brit shop located in Lancaster off of 10 st West where you can buy some goodies from back home, PG tips, Hobnobs, Marmite etc..
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:22 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Another place to get lamb in Houston: Phoenicia Speciality Foods, can also get Orangina, Baked Beans, Kinder Chocolate and proper Cadbury's to name a few.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, for those in Maine and around Belfast, check the co-op out, they usually have really nice cuts of lamb from a local farm, but they don't keep it on display as it's not very popular, they keep it out back so you've got to ask for it.

Not uber cheap, but not to expensive either and if you ring up in advance, I think the guy will make whatever sausages you want, when we lived there, he made them on Tuesdays for the week so you want pork bangers from home, ask before hand...also does amazing African spiced sausages.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
60 miles isn't considered local to non Americans.
Sixty miles from a British perspective is quite a distance, most definitely not local. In the UK a sixty miles car journey can most likely find you in a locality where the local people have a totally different accent, and even dialect in some instances, and perhaps one with a marked difference in overall climate. Local in British terms usually extends to about a ten to fifteen miles radius at the most. Beyond that you are in new territory.

When I once visited my grandparents who live just outside Ledbury, in Herefordshire, England, I met one of their neighbours, an elderly lady, who had never, ever travelled further than Gloucester in her entire life, just sixteen miles away. Sadly she is now deceased.

As for pub grub I have never had a crappy meal in any of the lovely old pubs in Herefordshire. Locally reared beef is always a speciality, and all cuts of lamb are readily available usually Welsh lamb, reckoned to be the very best. A rack of lamb Sunday lunch with all the trimmings at the Farmers Arms at Wellington Heath, near Ledbury, is something to die for.

With the many thousands of pubs all over the UK all offering foods of all kinds you are bound to encounter some who do not step up to the mark standards wise, but in my experience, both up here in Scotand or down in England (and Wales for that matter) the majority offer very good value, quality and choice.

Another fantastic pub for excellent food and service which I enjoyed last August very much indeed was The Old Willow House pub in the village of Watton, near Thetford, in Norfolk, England. A very varied menu, wide choice, amazingly good quality food, well dished up and very well served to you either in the bars or in the restaurant.

If eating in the bars rather than the restaurant you may well find yourself being drawn into the Pub Quiz if you happen to be there on quiz night.

I was staying in nearby Norwich, at the University of East Anglia, during the only really hot weekend last summer (how distant that now seems in the current abominably cold, snowy conditions) along with the Association for Roman Archaeology, visiting many of the ancient Roman sites in the Norfolk area. A great bunch of lads and lasses, we had a great time.

Last edited by Lothianlad; Dec 7th 2010 at 11:02 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 10:05 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

My requirement for a pub- a fireplace.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 1:19 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheLeester
Good timing - I'm off to Costco this morning. Cheers!

Better check I've got room in the freezer for half a herd....that'll probably be the smallest amount they sell
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
As for pub grub ... A rack of lamb Sunday lunch with all the trimmings at the Farmers Arms at Wellington Heath, near Ledbury, is something to die for.
Re-reading my post I see that I should have said lamb shanks and not a rack of lamb. There is quite a difference between the two. Lamb shanks with rosemary and red currant jelly gravy and roasted King Teds, buttered mash, glazed carrots, honey roasted parsnips and English garden peas. It goes without saying but I will - homemade fresh mint sauce.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:33 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Re-reading my post I see that I should have said lamb shanks and not a rack of lamb. There is quite a difference between the two. Lamb shanks with rosemary and red currant jelly gravy and roasted King Teds, buttered mash, glazed carrots, honey roasted parsnips and English garden peas. It goes without saying but I will - homemade fresh mint sauce.
Now if only the OP could get that where he is! And without tipping!! Or bad service!!!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Now that's what I call a good plateful. A couple of pints to go with it would not go amiss. I wouldn't want to have to cycle home too far afterwards, though.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 6:12 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Sams club do lamb roasts too - I knew I'd be a bit pressed for time the other day, so took one out of the freezer, left it in a cool place overnight to defrost, sprinkled it with dired garlic and a touch of salt and pepper and NOTHING ELSE and then stuck it in a crock pot for 10 hours in the morning while I went to work. It was amazing - with an amazing amount of juice too. the leftovers were chopped up and put in a jar of masala sauce from world market the next day and we had lamb curry. yum yum
Old Dec 8th 2010, 9:55 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Costco didn;'t have any today.....fish fingers for tea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.