Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Summonsed to appear in Court!

Wikiposts

Summonsed to appear in Court!

Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:31 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summonsed to appear in Court!

Originally Posted by Bob
A mate knew someone who did that, the cops just went to his house and pulled him there instead of chasing him, lost his license, huge fine, and also lost his hunting license which annoying him the most apparently as it was the start of moose season...he lost the license because he had his gun on the back seat....but that's maine, he'd probably have bee shot to pieces in any other state *lol*

Yeah. It was never feasible but the thought did cross my mind.

I would say however that as we don't have front license plates in TN I don't know how he would have been able to identify the car from the tag, by the time he had turned round on the median, I was the best part of half a mile away
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Yeah. It was never feasible but the thought did cross my mind.

I would say however that as we don't have front license plates in TN I don't know how he would have been able to identify the car from the tag, by the time he had turned round on the median, I was the best part of half a mile away
not that many porsches knocking around your parts? probably just envious and wanted to have a dig at bloke with nice car...much like ST's will have a dig with folks with Mass plates in Maine, which is partly why I'm a tad gutted to have gotten rid of 'em....maybe keep one on the window
Old Sep 24th 2006, 4:05 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got sorted Englishmum. My wife had a similar do a while ago - she received a summons for non response through the mail - she swore blind she'd never had a ticket. Turned out she'd used the valet parking at a restaurant and he'd stuck it on a handicapped zone, got a ticket, but binned it before he redelivered the car!! Long story getting it sorted out, but basically my wife put on her cuddly labrador head, called the court and talked her way down to a 50% reduction on the fine, then put on her Rottweiler head and went after the restaurant, who eventually paid her the original amount of the fine!
Old Sep 24th 2006, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

EmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Oh bloody hell.

One month ago our French friends were on holiday in Quebec, so we drove up from our home in New Jersey up to Montreal to see them for a weekend.

My husband drove most of the way and when we stopped for a break, I sat in the driver's seat. We were on the I-87 in upstate New York, a dual carriageway and basically no traffic at all. Less than 10 minutes later I overtook a van and a minute or two later looked in the rearview mirror to see a traffic cop flashing me to stop.

I was given a traffic violation for driving 15 mph over the limit (80 in a 65 mph zone) and we put the notice (which I'd only glanced at) from the traffic cop into the glove box. My husband said to me that we could just pay the fine online when it was recorded by the traffic clerk (the incident was on a Saturday) and I thought nothing more of it. I did think it was a bit odd earlier this week that I hadn't had a letter in the mail about the traffic offence. I've not had any communication from the cops/court other than the paper the cop handed over on the spot.

This afternoon in the mail I had a letter from the 'Town Court' and this is what it says:

People of the State of New York versus (my name etc.)

My name, address, dob, 'Ticket #', Officer, Statute/Section # and 'Charge Text' ie. Speeding 80/65

Next Date: 10/23/2006 Time 10.00am

Recently you were issued Traffic Ticket(s) for the above violation and failed to appear. The matter has been rescheduled to the date and time listed above.

Failure to appear will result in a license/registration suspension by the Dept of Motor Vehicles.

THIS IS YOUR FINAL NOTICE

Very Truly Yours

(name of Town Justice).

WTF? I had no idea that I was supposed to have appeared in court at all.....I thought it was discretionary and I'd certainly had no idea that a court date had been set before today and that I'd missed it.

The court is 300 miles away and will take (according to Mapquest) 4hrs and 50 mins to get there (at 10am!). I'm actually flying back from England the night before and will be very jetlagged...I'd have to leave home at about 4am to get to the court on time.

What on Earth happens at these courts anyway? I'm not contesting anything. Is it because I'm now going to get a huge fine (and huge insurance increase?)

It seems very unfair.....I wonder if it is a deliberate money-making ploy by the local council to raise money?

What shall I do?
I had this happen to me once, I got a letter telling me that I had missed a court date and a warrant had been issued for my arrest.... I was like WTF. I went immediately to the traffic court, spoke to the girl behind the desk, she told me nothing had been done, and wrote it off.....

I would NOT bother going to get an attorney, Id just take your letter to the traffic court and tell them the truth, you didnt know you had to go to traffic court and you had not received any such notice....

its really not a big deal to worry about.... You wont get deported.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 12:54 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
not that many porsches knocking around your parts? probably just envious and wanted to have a dig at bloke with nice car...much like ST's will have a dig with folks with Mass plates in Maine, which is partly why I'm a tad gutted to have gotten rid of 'em....maybe keep one on the window
Years ago, I was dealing with an outfit in Augusta. At a meeting, their chief told us that they thought they might be losing the services of their estimating manager, A Brit, who was at the meeting. He had had a couple of drinks and on his way home, he passed a police car that was in pursuit. He was lucky though, they didn't jail him.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 1:06 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has got pulled over a few times...no tickets yet...I put it down to her putting Dolly Parton to shame in the boob .department...lol.....it mostly for bits not working on her car...a few for speeding....hubby was pulled for running a stop sign..that was a great laugh...he thinks road rules are for other people....in 30 years of road use I've been pulled over once in the the UK for speeding...I did think it was a 40 limit....and the cop believed me...My poor son is the only one with a ticket...he was later for school one morning...but he's been careful every since...so I think it was a good thing...

Last edited by krizzy; Sep 25th 2006 at 2:22 am.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 1:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmmaPeel

I would NOT bother going to get an attorney, Id just take your letter to the traffic court and tell them the truth, you didnt know you had to go to traffic court and you had not received any such notice....
3.5 odd hours drive away....bit of a chore, less time and hassle getting someone else to do the leg work
Old Sep 25th 2006, 1:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by krizzy
My daughter has got pulled over a few times...no tickets yet...I put it down to her putting Dolly Parton to shame in the boob deptment..lol.....it mostly for bits not working on her car...a few for speeding....hubby was pulled for running a stop sign..that was a great laugh...he thinks road rules are for other people....in 30 years of road use I've been pulled over once in the the UK for speeding...I did think it was a 40 limit....and the cop believed me...My poor son is the only one with a ticket...he was later for school one morning...but he's been careful every since...so I think it was a good thing...
FIL has been pulled a few times, but he's still got his firefighter plates from when he was the area fire marshal blokey, and has never gotten a ticket....lucky git...
Old Sep 25th 2006, 3:18 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I was informed in that case that I could pay a $150 fine plus a $55 surcharge (payable on all traffic offences in NY) and send it in by money order or certified cheque, which I'll be doing on Monday morning!
I was just about to post to call them up and ask them "how much" - even though you missed the court date. They just want the cash.

I have had 3 or 4 fines since being in the USA (15 years), in different states.

I've just paid them all as and when and done with it. If you want to contest it, at least here in GA anyway, aparrently it's a zoo at the court. Your court date is the same as everyone else nicked for that week or month. The judge normally turns around to everyone (after you've waited all day) and halves the amount there and then if you plead guility. Cuts costs but what a mess.

All they want is your cash. they have no interest in seeing your license revoked for a speeding ticket.