Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Summonsed to appear in Court!

Wikiposts

Summonsed to appear in Court!

Old Sep 21st 2006, 2:00 pm
sas
Forum Regular

sas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nice
Default Re: Summonsed to appear in Court!

Not that it matters now, but in some states (if not all) the court appearance date and time are printed on the ticket that the cop gives you.

As others have said, call the Clerk of the Court tomorrow and ask what your options are.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 4:07 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
This is very good advice ! ....... I would do it without hesitation.

May I ask what town the court is in ? ...... I do live in the area and know what ones are the nastiest.
Chesterfield (not the one in Yorkshire, England)
Old Sep 21st 2006, 5:03 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Every state has different laws and procedures, and those can also vary within individual states as well.

In many states, you can plead and pay the fine through the mail. However,according to this link, it would seem that in New York state, an appearance is required, although you can send your attorney in lieu of attending yourself: http://ezinearticles.com/?New-York-S...t-FAQ&id=87042

When you signed the ticket, you were most likely signing a "promise to appear" that included a date, time and location that you were obliged to appear. If you didn't attend on that date or take some other action in lieu of appearing, such as paying the fine or sending your lawyer, then my first concern would be that you may also be charged with a failure to appear, which is a more serious offense.

My first suggestion would be to read the laws of the state (and possibly any local laws that might apply), and to do a bit more homework first prior to contacting the court. Find out whether you violated any laws by not appearing, and whether you might face additional punishments if you were required to appear and did not.

You didn't mention whether or not your license was issued by New York state. If it was not, that might be helpful to know. (If it was your UK license, I'd be tempted to fuhgedaboutit and not bother doing anything about it at all.)
Old Sep 21st 2006, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Chesterfield (not the one in Yorkshire, England)
Oh ................ A village statey, not a city one ........... Most of the local troopers who run I-87 would have let you off.
Contact that court ASAP. If you don't and you are stopped anywhere again you will be arrested and shipped back here.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:42 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Summonsed to appear in Court!

Oh heck, I'm really freaking out now.....can't find the paper the cop gave to me anywhere . We were actually driving our teenage son's Subaru up to Canada as it was more fuel efficient than our Volvo...I reckon he must have thrown it out without even looking at it...

Trying to drum up courage to grovel to the Court....don't know what to say in case I end up in even more #*%@ :scared:

FFS.....I could get a criminal record for driving 15mph over the limit?! We're in the midst of filing for Green Cards too. I've just about had it with living here and want to throw the towel in...
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:47 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Oh heck, I'm really freaking out now.....can't find the paper the cop gave to me anywhere . We were actually driving our teenage son's Subaru up to Canada as it was more fuel efficient than our Volvo...I reckon he must have thrown it out without even looking at it...

Trying to drum up courage to grovel to the Court....don't know what to say in case I end up in even more #*%@ :scared:

FFS.....I could get a criminal record for driving 15mph over the limit?! We're in the midst of filing for Green Cards too. I've just about had it with living here and want to throw the towel in...
Jesus woman

stop freaking out.............

go grovel to the court, just admit you were flying, take the points and fine if need be, but then at least it will be behind you.

also tell the court you have a really clean license and are proud of it, and as a consequence didn't know what to do having gotten a ticket......tell them you're proud of your clean license and would like to pay the fine but would like leniency on the penalty points if possible.

just go to court, plead your case and be done........a moving violation is not a criminal record. however it will be if you bury your head in the sand and don't appear again.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:04 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I had to go to traffic court after an accident in NJ.

Admit you were wrong and pay the fine. You might get points against you as you failed to appear. Explain what happened re the first ticket . You won't have to say much as there will be an attorney there who will ask you what happened and he will speak on your behalf to the judge.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:23 am

Red face Re: Summonsed to appear in Court!

Originally Posted by Manc
Jesus woman

stop freaking out.............

go grovel to the court, just admit you were flying, take the points and fine if need be, but then at least it will be behind you.

also tell the court you have a really clean license and are proud of it, and as a consequence didn't know what to do having gotten a ticket......tell them you're proud of your clean license and would like to pay the fine but would like leniency on the penalty points if possible.

just go to court, plead your case and be done........a moving violation is not a criminal record. however it will be if you bury your head in the sand and don't appear again.

Ha ha ha!

I wish I did have a 'clean' licence.....I was stopped for speeding in NJ on the way back from Niagara Falls about three years ago and wanted to try out the turbo on our (then) recently acquired Volvo. I think we had a letter in the post and paid the fine online or by sending a cheque in the post.

My husband was stopped for speeding in NJ in August and he just paid the fine online.

I just assumed it would be similar for NY State too.

Our insurance premiums are going to rocket next month....our son turns 18 as well so the graduated driver scheme ends...
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:24 am
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold

Agree entirely.

And once all is said and done try and remember that the speed limit is the maximum limit. 15MPH over is a pretty big chunk over, if you are going to speed then chances are you will get caught and fined etc.

Good luck, hope all gets sorted.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:27 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

What shall I do?
Buy a radar detector.

OK, I'll get me coat =>>>>>>>

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Take it easy! I had my first ever speeding ticket in a tin-pot town here in SC about 18 months ago.

Local cop caught me doing 17mph over the 35mph limit leaving the town going down a hill. Now you know these "donut cops" have nothing better to do in these small towns than sit there all day catching people.

The ironic thing was I was going to Charlotte to pick up the new car in my old car!

Now I'm fighting a parking ticket in VA. The meter had to be wrong because of the time they claim I was in violation of expired meter didn't add up. Just 24 mins earlier I had put in more $$ and had 1hr 45 mins left on the meter.

I think they see an out-of-state plate and rub their hands in glee!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

And well you should freak out, Englishmum! Your dangerously close to having an arrest warrant put out on you, if you haven't already. A few words of advice, always read and follow any instructions printed on a citation, never simply throw it in a glove box or whatever and forget about it.

And for the love of God STOP SPEEDING!!! The adrenaline rush you might get from the feel of your car's exceleration and speed just isn't worth the potential deep do-do you'll be getting yourself into with law enforcement. Not to mention insurance premiums going up.

Last edited by Jabba1; Sep 22nd 2006 at 2:36 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:25 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

The potential problem with that strategy is that you may find that the court decides to nail you instead of using a bit of common sense, which means you end up with even bigger headaches.

While speeding is typically an "infraction" (i.e. punishment is limited to a fine, with no jail time) or something less in most states, a failure to appear is almost certainly more serious -- typically a misdemeanor -- and can result in larger punishments. (Jail is unlikely, but the fine might be quite high.) That's why you should research whether you may be guilty of failure to appear, and if so, what the likely penalty might be.

I wouldn't rush out to do this, but if you do have a failure to appear, I might be inclined to hire a lawyer. Not only would this spare you from the need to appear personally, but you'll probably get a better deal out of the court. (Courts are much kinder to defendants with attorneys than to those who represent themselves.)

After researching the law re: failure to appear (you should find out whether you "failed to appear" per the legal definition), I'd call an attorney who specializes in these matters in the locality in which the court is located, and get a free consultation over the phone. It can't hurt to ask, and you're not obliged to engage one.

And don't freak out, the worst outcome from this is likely to be monetary (points and fines.) They don't send people to prison or Australia for this sort of thing...
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 6:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha ha!

I wish I did have a 'clean' licence.....I was stopped for speeding in NJ on the way back from Niagara Falls about three years ago and wanted to try out the turbo on our (then) recently acquired Volvo. I think we had a letter in the post and paid the fine online or by sending a cheque in the post.

My husband was stopped for speeding in NJ in August and he just paid the fine online.

I just assumed it would be similar for NY State too.

Our insurance premiums are going to rocket next month....our son turns 18 as well so the graduated driver scheme ends...
OMG, you people are a menace!
I ditto Manc's thoughts.. modify to suit your bad behavior & put on that English charm. Smiles and understanding the *serious* nature of your infraction will help, I'm sure.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 9:28 am
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bloody hell.

One month ago our French friends were on holiday in Quebec, so we drove up from our home in New Jersey up to Montreal to see them for a weekend.

My husband drove most of the way and when we stopped for a break, I sat in the driver's seat. We were on the I-87 in upstate New York, a dual carriageway and basically no traffic at all. Less than 10 minutes later I overtook a van and a minute or two later looked in the rearview mirror to see a traffic cop flashing me to stop.

I was given a traffic violation for driving 15 mph over the limit (80 in a 65 mph zone) and we put the notice (which I'd only glanced at) from the traffic cop into the glove box. My husband said to me that we could just pay the fine online when it was recorded by the traffic clerk (the incident was on a Saturday) and I thought nothing more of it. I did think it was a bit odd earlier this week that I hadn't had a letter in the mail about the traffic offence. I've not had any communication from the cops/court other than the paper the cop handed over on the spot.

This afternoon in the mail I had a letter from the 'Town Court' and this is what it says:

People of the State of New York versus (my name etc.)

My name, address, dob, 'Ticket #', Officer, Statute/Section # and 'Charge Text' ie. Speeding 80/65

Next Date: 10/23/2006 Time 10.00am

Recently you were issued Traffic Ticket(s) for the above violation and failed to appear. The matter has been rescheduled to the date and time listed above.

Failure to appear will result in a license/registration suspension by the Dept of Motor Vehicles.

THIS IS YOUR FINAL NOTICE

Very Truly Yours

(name of Town Justice).

WTF? I had no idea that I was supposed to have appeared in court at all.....I thought it was discretionary and I'd certainly had no idea that a court date had been set before today and that I'd missed it.

The court is 300 miles away and will take (according to Mapquest) 4hrs and 50 mins to get there (at 10am!). I'm actually flying back from England the night before and will be very jetlagged...I'd have to leave home at about 4am to get to the court on time.

What on Earth happens at these courts anyway? I'm not contesting anything. Is it because I'm now going to get a huge fine (and huge insurance increase?)

It seems very unfair.....I wonder if it is a deliberate money-making ploy by the local council to raise money?

What shall I do?
I use a pre paid legal firm, I pay them $40 a month (no subscription) and I can get all my legal advise with a simple phone call. There are certain perks to using them, one of which is I get free traffic violations representation.

The same thing happened to me about 2 years ago, I was doing 86mph in a 60mph, I called them, they issued a lawyer, he went to court for me, I got a fine, I put a cheque in the mail. it was done. I didn't have to worry or go there.

You could call them today, set up an account and you could be represented for free, after the fact, just call them and cancel.

Please send a PM to the member for contact details about the firm he uses.

Last edited by NC Penguin; Sep 22nd 2006 at 12:16 pm. Reason: See message

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.