Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Summonsed to appear in Court!

Summonsed to appear in Court!

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:14 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Summonsed to appear in Court!

Oh bloody hell.

One month ago our French friends were on holiday in Quebec, so we drove up from our home in New Jersey up to Montreal to see them for a weekend.

My husband drove most of the way and when we stopped for a break, I sat in the driver's seat. We were on the I-87 in upstate New York, a dual carriageway and basically no traffic at all. Less than 10 minutes later I overtook a van and a minute or two later looked in the rearview mirror to see a traffic cop flashing me to stop.

I was given a traffic violation for driving 15 mph over the limit (80 in a 65 mph zone) and we put the notice (which I'd only glanced at) from the traffic cop into the glove box. My husband said to me that we could just pay the fine online when it was recorded by the traffic clerk (the incident was on a Saturday) and I thought nothing more of it. I did think it was a bit odd earlier this week that I hadn't had a letter in the mail about the traffic offence. I've not had any communication from the cops/court other than the paper the cop handed over on the spot.

This afternoon in the mail I had a letter from the 'Town Court' and this is what it says:

People of the State of New York versus (my name etc.)

My name, address, dob, 'Ticket #', Officer, Statute/Section # and 'Charge Text' ie. Speeding 80/65

Next Date: 10/23/2006 Time 10.00am

Recently you were issued Traffic Ticket(s) for the above violation and failed to appear. The matter has been rescheduled to the date and time listed above.

Failure to appear will result in a license/registration suspension by the Dept of Motor Vehicles.

THIS IS YOUR FINAL NOTICE

Very Truly Yours

(name of Town Justice).

WTF? I had no idea that I was supposed to have appeared in court at all.....I thought it was discretionary and I'd certainly had no idea that a court date had been set before today and that I'd missed it.

The court is 300 miles away and will take (according to Mapquest) 4hrs and 50 mins to get there (at 10am!). I'm actually flying back from England the night before and will be very jetlagged...I'd have to leave home at about 4am to get to the court on time.

What on Earth happens at these courts anyway? I'm not contesting anything. Is it because I'm now going to get a huge fine (and huge insurance increase?)

It seems very unfair.....I wonder if it is a deliberate money-making ploy by the local council to raise money?

What shall I do?
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summonsed to appear in Court!

I'd suggest consulting a lawyer asap.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:18 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Contact the court see if they'll accept a guilty plea.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:23 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Oh bloody hell.

One month ago our French friends were on holiday in Quebec, so we drove up from our home in New Jersey up to Montreal to see them for a weekend.

My husband drove most of the way and when we stopped for a break, I sat in the driver's seat. We were on the I-87 in upstate New York, a dual carriageway and basically no traffic at all. Less than 10 minutes later I overtook a van and a minute or two later looked in the rearview mirror to see a traffic cop flashing me to stop.

I was given a traffic violation for driving 15 mph over the limit (80 in a 65 mph zone) and we put the notice (which I'd only glanced at) from the traffic cop into the glove box. My husband said to me that we could just pay the fine online when it was recorded by the traffic clerk (the incident was on a Saturday) and I thought nothing more of it. I did think it was a bit odd earlier this week that I hadn't had a letter in the mail about the traffic offence. I've not had any communication from the cops/court other than the paper the cop handed over on the spot.

This afternoon in the mail I had a letter from the 'Town Court' and this is what it says:

My name, address, dob, 'Ticket #', Officer, Statute/Section # and 'Charge Text' ie. Speeding 80/65

Recently you were issued Traffic Ticket(s) for the above violation and failed to appear. The matter has been rescheduled to the date and time listed above.

Failure to appear will result in a license/registration suspension by the Dept of Motor Vehicles.

Very Truly Yours

(name of Town Justice).

WTF? I had no idea that I was supposed to have appeared in court at all.....I thought it was discretionary and I'd certainly had no idea that a court date had been set before today and that I'd missed it.

The court is 300 miles away and will take (according to Mapquest) 4hrs and 50 mins to get there (at 10am!). I'm actually flying back from England the night before and will be very jetlagged...I'd have to leave home at about 4am to get to the court on time.

What on Earth happens at these courts anyway? I'm not contesting anything. Is it because I'm now going to get a huge fine (and huge insurance increase?)

It seems very unfair.....I wonder if it is a deliberate money-making ploy by the local council to raise money?

What shall I do?

Oh, what a pickle!

I don't think that you have much choice in the matter do you? I wonder if there is any way to get them to schedule the court appearance elsewhere in NY, I.e somewhere closer to your home (of course, thinking about this logically, you probably wouldn't be able to because the traffic cop is supposed to attend I think.) Maybe put in a call to them and inquire, it can't hurt.
sorry! Have a drink on me (not whilst your driving of course!)
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Its ridiculous that the first summons was sent by regular mail...it should have been sent certified...then you could have sent a cheque for the fine and it would all be over.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:33 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Its ridiculous that the first summons was sent by regular mail...it should have been sent certified...then you could have sent a cheque for the fine and it would all be over.
What first summons ??
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
What first summons ??
The one that she failed to appear for.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:37 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

The one that she failed to appear for.
She never got one.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:38 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Ring the clerk of the court ASAP (like in the morning) and see what your options are. They are the ONLY people that can give you a definitive answer.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
She never got one.
I know that....but according to the letter she should have. Presumably it was sent by regular mail and has gone walkabouts.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:43 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I know that....but according to the letter she should have. Presumably it was sent by regular mail and has gone walkabouts.
Seriously, speculation as to whether she got one/they sent one or not is immaterial. She now has a FINAL summons to court. She MUST contact the clerk of the court IN THE MORNING to discuss her options. They may just let her plead guilty in abscence and pay a fine. They may REQUIRE her presence as it is a final summons. If they do and she fails to appear a warrant will be issued for her arrest which will go seriously against any citizenship application.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Contact the court see if they'll accept a guilty plea.
This is very good advice ! ....... I would do it without hesitation.

May I ask what town the court is in ? ...... I do live in the area and know what ones are the nastiest.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby got done for speeding once in upstate NY. He just pleaded guilty by letter. It must be a good little earner for them. If you do go to court, a good ploy would maybe ask to see the calibration records of the speed gun or whatever they used, and if it hasn't been calibrated in quite a while you could maybe question the accuracy of it, but I don't think it would be 15mph out.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:15 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Moot point now, but look at the citation the cop gave you. You may have had to sign it, and if so there may be a box checked above the sig. You may have signed an agreement to appear in court.

Anyway, sounds like no harm has been done yet. Good luck!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:55 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just a little confused. In NY you can pay the fine by pleading guilty on the back of the ticket and mailing it and the fine back to the traffic department found on the back of the ticket.

You mentioned that your husband put the ticket in the glove compartment and said you would pay the fine online. But you don't say if this had been done. If it hadn't been done, then you were to appear in court. Check the ticket and see if there is a time and date marked for when to appear. I know in our town they have an area to write it in.

If the penalty was paid online (which I don't think can be done but you never know) did you print out the receipt for the payment. If so or you have the bank statement showing the payment, send it and the copy of the ticket to the court and explain the situation.

If it hasn't been paid than make haste and mail the ticket and the penalty and a copy of your license by express mail to the court and explain your ignorance of the procedure.

Rete

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Oh bloody hell.

Very Truly Yours

(name of Town Justice).

What shall I do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.