Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Summer trip advice

Summer trip advice

Old May 21st 2012, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of
Default Re: Summer trip advice

Originally Posted by BILLY88
Im really grateful for all your advice and tips. Its really helpful. I think I'v got a lot more planning to do

I think my problem is that I'm basing my travel budget and experience on my travels in Europe where moving round and budget accomodation can be very cheap. I think I'm probably looking at having to spend 5 times more on this trip than an equivalent one might be in Europe.

I would defintely love to have a car to get round. The main problem that faces me as with most people is budget, which is maybe why bus is the only option I have. Im wanting to have at least 4-6weeks in the USA (realised 8 might be too much of a stretch). I really dont know if having a car is do-able between insurance, renting and petrol. I will have to research it but That sounds expensive. I will definately have to do more research into accomodation as well. There must be some slightly cheaper option. I'll look into it.

Cant thank everyone enough for the help so far. I think I was a bit naiive at 1st but I guess thats what brainstorming is for.

Renting a vehicle with insurance and the gas for the entire 4-6 weeks isn't going to be cheap, although I have seen some rental places in town advertise for about $20 per day.

However if you don't mind dirt-bagging it a little, you can off-set some of the costs by using the vehicle as your hotel or if you have a tent, you can set that up. If you only spend 7 nights of your stay like this, then you would save a minimum of $350 on accommodation costs which you could use towards the cost of renting the vehicle.
Old May 21st 2012, 8:57 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leyther
Renting a vehicle with insurance and the gas for the entire 4-6 weeks isn't going to be cheap, although I have seen some rental places in town advertise for about $20 per day.

However if you don't mind dirt-bagging it a little, you can off-set some of the costs by using the vehicle as your hotel or if you have a tent, you can set that up. If you only spend 7 nights of your stay like this, then you would save a minimum of $350 on accommodation costs which you could use towards the cost of renting the vehicle.
Is camping as feasible as it would be in the UK?
In my experience camp sites are not necessarily cheap, as many of them are set up for RVing. They also sell out quickly and require booking in advance. I have not seen camp sites that just pack em in like they do in Britain. I would also think that road side camping might be more problematic than in the UK, partly due to some land owners excessive zealotry in protecting against trespass. There are some walk-in camp sites in state/national/forestry parks, that can be reserved on the day or on a first come basis, but they are walk-in.
Old May 21st 2012, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Is camping as feasible as it would be in the UK?
In my experience camp sites are not necessarily cheap, as many of them are set up for RVing. They also sell out quickly and require booking in advance. I have not seen camp sites that just pack em in like they do in Britain. I would also think that road side camping might be more problematic than in the UK, partly due to some land owners excessive zealotry in protecting against trespass. There are some walk-in camp sites in state/national/forestry parks, that can be reserved on the day or on a first come basis, but they are walk-in.
I can really only speak for Colorado and camping like I mentioned is very do-able here. Campsites that are on BLM land are free of charge, it is also first-come first serve and there is a lot of BLM land to go around. There are also fee campsites with a few more amenities that can run anywhere from $9-$22 per night. I am not quite sure on the legalities of just pulling off the side of the road and sleeping in your vehicle on public land, but my climbing partners and I have done this many a time on the way to trail-heads and my buddy from Texas who makes the drive here a couple of times per year also sleeps in his vehicle, on the side of the road when he is making the journey.

In fact just last summer my wife, climbing partners and myself did just that for two weeks and never paid for a campsite or hotel room. All the trip cost us was food, gas and the occasional $10-$15 for the use of a shower. So it can be done, at least here in Colorado.
Old May 21st 2012, 10:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BILLY88
Im really grateful for all your advice and tips. Its really helpful. I think I'v got a lot more planning to do

I think my problem is that I'm basing my travel budget and experience on my travels in Europe where moving round and budget accomodation can be very cheap. I think I'm probably looking at having to spend 5 times more on this trip than an equivalent one might be in Europe.

I would defintely love to have a car to get round. The main problem that faces me as with most people is budget, which is maybe why bus is the only option I have. Im wanting to have at least 4-6weeks in the USA (realised 8 might be too much of a stretch). I really dont know if having a car is do-able between insurance, renting and petrol. I will have to research it but That sounds expensive. I will definately have to do more research into accomodation as well. There must be some slightly cheaper option. I'll look into it.

Cant thank everyone enough for the help so far. I think I was a bit naiive at 1st but I guess thats what brainstorming is for.

What you can consider doing perhaps is targeting certain cities that don't need a car to get around so much to spend a little more time in perhaps.

Take the train or coach from NYC to Boston and get around those cities via public transport, then train to another hub and rent a car for a few days in those cities and especially perhaps some of the larger destination cities where public transport might not be so great, at a guess such as Las Vegas etc.
Old May 21st 2012, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leyther
I can really only speak for Colorado and camping like I mentioned is very do-able here. Campsites that are on BLM land are free of charge, it is also first-come first serve and there is a lot of BLM land to go around. There are also fee campsites with a few more amenities that can run anywhere from $9-$22 per night. I am not quite sure on the legalities of just pulling off the side of the road and sleeping in your vehicle on public land, but my climbing partners and I have done this many a time on the way to trail-heads and my buddy from Texas who makes the drive here a couple of times per year also sleeps in his vehicle, on the side of the road when he is making the journey.

In fact just last summer my wife, climbing partners and myself did just that for two weeks and never paid for a campsite or hotel room. All the trip cost us was food, gas and the occasional $10-$15 for the use of a shower. So it can be done, at least here in Colorado.
16th Street Mall is very nice I hear.