Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Summer school holidays and camps

Summer school holidays and camps

Old May 4th 2013, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer school holidays and camps

Originally Posted by N1cky
It's that time of year when I have to think about filling 10 weeks of school holidays with fun activities, while working full time.

I'm really lucky, as I work from home (although it is full time; be sat at my desk for 8.30 and leave at 5.00 at the earliest) it does mean I don't have to send my daughter off to camp every day.

For the last couple of years she has done a 5 night residential camp with the YMCA and absolutely loved it. She is doing it again this year, but worse still she is going on a 7 night specialized camp in the Sierras. On top of this she'll do 2 maybe 3 weeks of day camps with the YMCA where they go swimming and to theme parks...

Camp seems such a huge part of childhood here, I know I would have loved some of the activities when I was a kid, instead we had to occupy ourselves for hours on end with a bucket of water, a tennis ball and a skipping rope.

I was just wondering what everyone else did with their kids during the long summer break?
Thankfully I don't work summers, but keeping a child active has it's pros and cons. This summer we are spending 5 weeks in the UK, so that will take up a huge chunk of it. Last year, we had a season pass to a water park and spent time there with friends. That actually was a lot of fun, but not something I would want to repeat.

My daughter does Girl Scouts (she's actually away this weekend on a camping trip with them) and up till now, we haven't done the day camps or the away camps. But next year we are probably going to look into them.
Old May 4th 2013, 6:10 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I went to sleep away camp for a month several summers when I was a kid and I then worked as a camp counselor for four years. I'm still in touch with counselors that I worked with from over 25 years ago. I loved going away to camp as a kid! Although I was lucky that my parents could afford it because camp is pretty pricey. I wanted to go for the whole summer but we always did a family holiday in August.
Old May 5th 2013, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

Sound like this place but WOW!

Old May 5th 2013, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Day summer camps (not overnight summer camps) may qualify for the 20%-35% "child care tax credit" for children under 13 with both parents working. Therefore keep your receipts for day camps for filing your tax return.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Summer-Day-Ca...r-a-Tax-Credit
Old May 6th 2013, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

I think my daughters will do the science camp at my eldest's middle school. If it's the same price as last year it will be $150 for 4 days. I am tempted to sign them up for the YMCA camps but they vary in price, for the younger 2 it's $150 for 5 days and the elder one it's $45, different locations too! I did look into the camp at the Science Museum but at $380 for the week I think not! The girls really want to go to Space Camp at the Kennedy Space Center, which I would love to send them on but that is still $300 each. If I win the lottery in the mean time I will let them

I don't work (H4 visa blah blah) so they technically don't have to go to any, but the holidays are 11 weeks here and I want them doing some activities without me We will of course go to the beach etc and we go away for a couple of weeks to NY, NJ and Washington DC.
Old May 6th 2013, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I'm still in touch with counselors that I worked with from over 25 years ago.
I worked as the camp's head electrician at a camp in New Milford, Ct. 29 years ago - I still keep in touch with friends from then too. Best summer of my life to date.

Camp fees 10K for 6 weeks IIRC. Ouch.
Old May 7th 2013, 12:47 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
I worked as the camp's head electrician at a camp in New Milford, Ct. 29 years ago - I still keep in touch with friends from then too. Best summer of my life to date.

Camp fees 10K for 6 weeks IIRC. Ouch.
It's amazing how much the camps charge considering how little the counselors get paid! My first summer as a camp counselor in 1985 I was paid $500 for the summer and had one day off a week. I got back in touch with some old camp friends on Facebook. I think camp is an amazing experience as both a camper and a counselor. Some camps do offer scholarships as well.

Last edited by penguinbar; May 7th 2013 at 12:47 am. Reason: typo
Old May 7th 2013, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

It's amazing how much the camps charge considering how little the counselors get paid! My first summer as a camp counselor in 1985 I was paid $500 for the summer and had one day off a week. I got back in touch with some old camp friends on Facebook. I think camp is an amazing experience as both a camper and a counselor. Some camps do offer scholarships as well.
Same here ! I went in 1984, as a student, and in 1987 and 1988 as a "consultant" ;-) I worked on after camp ended in 1984, and made more money in the following week than I had all summer....but what a summer it was. If there are student members of BE reading this GET yourselves on BUNAC's CampAmerica program.

The camp I worked at was amazing though, it was a creative arts camp, run originally by two Jewish Austrian emigres, who'd first fled to London, and been charged with establishing an evacuation camp for English kids in America - one of the first ships of evacuees was sunk with the loss of a lot of life, and they were left in Connecticut with a camp to fill....

Steve
Old May 7th 2013, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

It's amazing how much the camps charge considering how little the counselors get paid!
the camp i worked at charged campers $4000 for 4 weeks or $7000 for an 8 week stay

Same here ! I went in 1984, as a student, and in 1987 and 1988 as a "consultant" ;-) I worked on after camp ended in 1984, and made more money in the following week than I had all summer....but what a summer it was. If there are student members of BE reading this GET yourselves on BUNAC's CampAmerica program.

Steve
I did BUNAC. I highly recommend it. Although you dont get a chance to choose your camp so its a bit of a lottery. I ended up in the armpit of America - a town called Hawley near Scranton, PA. I was instructor for computer science, motorbikes and worked as a lifeguard at the lake. But i got out and about to New York, Boston, Washington and Philidephia. I used as a way to see America through the eyes of someone other than a tourist.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; May 7th 2013 at 9:28 pm.
Old May 7th 2013, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
the camp i worked at charged campers $4000 for 4 weeks or $7000 for an 8 week stay
Yeah, the one I worked at is a faint shade under 10K now for the 8 weeks.
Old May 8th 2013, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob

I did BUNAC. I highly recommend it. Although you dont get a chance to choose your camp so its a bit of a lottery. I ended up in the armpit of America - a town called Hawley near Scranton, PA. I was instructor for computer science, motorbikes and worked as a lifeguard at the lake. But i got out and about to New York, Boston, Washington and Philidephia. I used as a way to see America through the eyes of someone other than a tourist.
My friend owns a pub in Hawley! Most camps are in pretty rural areas.
I was a drama counselor, regular counselor and also a group leader which was the most work. I was in charge of eight counselors and twenty eight 13 and 14 year old girls! I think about camp every summer! It is truly ana amazing experience as both a camper and a counselor.
Old May 8th 2013, 1:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Ten grand? Jesus, they saw you coming
Old May 8th 2013, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Ten grand? Jesus, they saw you coming
Staff/camper ratios are very low, something like 4 campers per counsellor IIRC
Old May 8th 2013, 1:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Staff/camper ratios are very low, something like 4 campers per counsellor IIRC
I don't make ten grand in eight weeks

My son's 15 this year anyway, he'll be too busy chasing tail in the summer break to have to worry about getting us in more debt
Old May 8th 2013, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I don't make ten grand in eight weeks
Rather my problem too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.